• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM or Brooks Brothers

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning gents,

I am faced with a dilema. I am the the market for a new suit and have been for about a month and a half. I have visited Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Saks and Neiman Marcus without being able to find anything to my liking in my price range. I do not want to spend more than $1,00 and will not buy a suit on eBay/online retailer.

I've been giving Brooks Brothers some serious thoughts (1818 Fitz/Milano) but haven't found anything to my liking thus far. There is a local tailor that makes MTM suits from $700+.

What would y'all do in my situation?

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
Good morning gents,

I am faced with a dilema. I am the the market for a new suit and have been for about a month and a half. I have visited Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Saks and Neiman Marcus without being able to find anything to my liking in my price range. I do not want to spend more than $1,00 and will not buy a suit on eBay/online retailer.

I've been giving Brooks Brothers some serious thoughts (1818 Fitz/Milano) but haven't found anything to my liking thus far. There is a local tailor that makes MTM suits from $700+.

If you cannot find what you want and can find a MTM service for your price range, go for it. I had to decide between wearing lower end "mix and match" suits or go the MTM route - my drop is 12 inches. But my cheapest Brooks MTM suit, even when I got it on sale, was more than 1K. Good luck.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmacey
If you cannot find what you want and can find a MTM service for your price range, go for it. I had to decide between wearing lower end "mix and match" suits or go the MTM route - my drop is 12 inches. But my cheapest Brooks MTM suit, even when I got it on sale, was more than 1K. Good luck.

I was looking at BB OTR just to be clear. Plus I get 15% off any regular priced item. However, I like a lot of their fabrics but then it comes down to the little aspects of the suit. I want a ticket-pocket, double side vents and no more than 2 buttons..

cmacey

Reaction score
I was looking at BB OTR just to be clear. Plus I get 15% off any regular priced item. However, I like a lot of their fabrics but then it comes down to the little aspects of the suit. I want a ticket-pocket, double side vents and no more than 2 buttons..

It all goes into the price of the suit. I had working buttons added. Didn't want the other stuff, don't like double vents...they will do it though, but it will cost.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all goes into the price of the suit. I had working buttons added. Didn't want the other stuff, don't like double vents...they will do it though, but it will cost.

So MTM will charge more if you want double vents? I assumed they would possibly charge more for ticket pocket since it may require more time and effort and fabric.

cmacey

Reaction score

So MTM will charge more if you want double vents? I assumed they would possibly charge more for ticket pocket since it may require more time and effort and fabric.

You've got to talk with the tailor doing the work. Double vents may be programmed into the base price (either single or double...); if so, whatever wasn't, will cost more.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got to talk with the tailor doing the work. Double vents may be programmed into the base price (either single or double...); if so, whatever wasn't, will cost more.

Great point, thanks for your suggestions.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you name the tailor somebody might be able to comment on the quality.

With out it you're asking about Brooks versus a black box. The box might have a great gift inside. It might not.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
If you name the tailor somebody might be able to comment on the quality.

With out it you're asking about Brooks versus a black box. The box might have a great gift inside. It might not.

Hong Kong Tailors - Atlanta

Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
This.

Are you an odd fit? If so, MTM is the best option.

Slightly... I have problems finding slimmer fitting suits that are good quality wise and look good. For less than $1,00 I consistently run into Hugo Boss, Z-Zegna, Theory, Zara, J Crew for slimmer fitting suits. None of which are great quality.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Under 1K , I would look at at H. Freeman and Son , through a good MTM shop. They have very different lines but if you find a place that knows their lines well they have a fully canvassed version that is better than almost anything Brooks makes now.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
Under 1K , I would look at at H. Freeman and Son , through a good MTM shop. They have very different lines but if you find a place that knows their lines well they have a fully canvassed version that is better than almost anything Brooks makes now.

H. Freeman and Sons fabric? Or is that a shop in Atlanta?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly... I have problems finding slimmer fitting suits that are good quality wise and look good. For less than $1,00 I consistently run into Hugo Boss, Z-Zegna, Theory, Zara, J Crew for slimmer fitting suits. None of which are great quality.

For $1k, you can get RLBL in the B&S section. Much better than BB. Actually, Joseph Abboud is about the same construction as BB 1818 with a slimmer, more modern cut. Easily found at the Rack for cheap. Ebay too.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H. Freeman and Sons fabric? Or is that a shop in Atlanta?

They make MTM suits for many tailors. If you get a good tailor that knows their stuff with that company then they can have additional features or construction details done that are not known or public.

I ordered a batch of pants for travel from a decent vendor and the pants were excellent much better than anything I have gotten from Brooks in a long time.

I don't know where you live but there are a lot of good options at your price point.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you will be overwhelmed by the number of choices you will have on a m2m.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads