• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes - business casual + business formal

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of the shoes you posted look (eerily) similar. Black shoes, IMHO, go best with suits, and suits only. If you are willing to look at brown shoes - or even burgundy, there are many, many more options.

If you wanted to stay in the Allen Edmonds family, check out the Strands (in walnut), or some of their wingtips in brown/burgundy. Even their loafers - which are not really my bag - would be better choices than what you've posted.

If you are hell bent on staying with black shoes with business casual, I'd go with a monk strap.

dylanmacarthur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
All of the shoes you posted look (eerily) similar. Black shoes, IMHO, go best with suits, and suits only. If you are willing to look at brown shoes - or even burgundy, there are many, many more options.

If you wanted to stay in the Allen Edmonds family, check out the Strands (in walnut), or some of their wingtips in brown/burgundy. Even their loafers - which are not really my bag - would be better choices than what you've posted.

If you are hell bent on staying with black shoes with business casual, I'd go with a monk strap.

Hey - thanks a lot for the response. I am actually planning on going with walnut or burgundy, not black.

Do you think the Strands could be worn with business casual or a suit? I'm trying to find a shoe that's versatile enough to work with both.

What about the Lombard? http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/w...ategory=120552

Thanks again.

dylanmacarthur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Those are some ugly shoes...

Just get the PA in a different color. Any shoe in walnut works with bus. cas. Merlot shoes can cross both worlds. Black, not so much. Depends what you wear.

"Cross both worlds" meaning be worn with bus. cas. or a suit?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dylanmacarthur
Do you think the Strands could be worn with business casual or a suit? I'm trying to find a shoe that's versatile enough to work with both.

Only if you can pull off the walnut shoes with navy suit phenomenon. Maybe the brown would work. Any other color is ugly IMO.

Burgundy PA is the most versatile.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Those are some ugly shoes...

Just get the PA in a different color. Any shoe in walnut works with bus. cas. Merlot shoes can cross both worlds. Black, not so much. Depends what you wear.

x2 on the merlot

dylanmacarthur

Reaction score
What about Fifth Avenue in brown burnished? Is that versatile enough to work with both business casual and business formal in a somewhat stuffy (NYC law firm) setting?

Thanks again for all the input.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...any thoughts on the AE Sanford (blucher captoe in brougue) as it is back in production? I was thinking of getting some English made from Herrings but when I saw this....
decisions.gif

Thank you....

dylanmacarthur

Reaction score
The strands are very versatile, and work equally well with suits (gray suits in particular) and casual/business casual.

Okay. I'm really thinking about going with these. My only concern is that they could be a bit loud for a relatively stuffy and conservative office......you think they'd work though? That's the only reason I'm torn between the Strands and the Fifth Avenues.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relatively stuffy + Conservative Office + Business Casual = WTF?

Don't know what to tell you, as the sartorial connundrum you articulate is weird. Everyone loves the Strands IRL, even stuffy conservative people.

dylanmacarthur

Reaction score
Relatively stuffy + Conservative Office + Business Casual = WTF?

Don't know what to tell you, as the sartorial connundrum you articulate is weird. Everyone loves the Strands IRL, even stuffy conservative people.

Yeah I know it's weird. But that's what I surmise from the people I've talked to who work there - they're following the trend of business casual out of obligation, but are still pretty conservative in what they expect. I would just wear business formal each day, but I don't want to stand out too much or be better dressed than my superiors.

You've almost sold me on the Strand. I think I'll go into the store and agonize over it or the Fifth Avenue.....thanks again for the advice.

dunelly

Reaction score
would walnut strands + navy suit work for interview where people dress business casual

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads