• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique custom dress shirt (tailorstore)

stephen

Reaction score
Would appreciate any sizing suggestions... It doesn't look bad in these photos, but I'm thinking about extending the sleeve length an additional 1" and the shirt length an additional 1". Seems like some of my recent shirts have been pulling up on the sleeves and coming untucked when seated a bit more than I'd like.

Also -- didn't notice this until just now, but maybe I'll add an inch to the waist area... doesn't look bad tucked in, but the taper's a bit extreme when untucked.

Any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks!
smile.gif

DMxCO.jpg

qJwlo.jpg

grBhJ.jpg

6RJ9A.jpg

eSjw7.jpg

AZTqV.jpg

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yoke appears to be slightly too large, but that could be because the shirt is unbuttoned. Or needs to shrink. I would go with more waist suppression. Its the hip measurement that gives the taper you complain about, but I think its fine. Your not going to wear it untucked anyway. Somehow the sleeves look slightly baggy in relation to the body. But that could be misperception.

Other than that, looks good.

saiyar1

Reaction score
I dont think you need any of those changes. However, you are very slim. There's really no need to be getting a center box pleat. It creates a puff in the lower back. Side pleats are preferable, ideally no pleats at all though.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I Agree with whats been said. The shirt fits fine now, but as its custom you might as well get it perfect. With that in mind I would:

1. Slim the sleeves down considerably. This is where shirts look most "tailored", get the sleeves right and even a layman knows how well your shirts fit.

2. Swap the box-pleat for side pleats, much nicer shape all over.

3. Consider making the cuffs smaller in diameter, they look a little gaping atm. If you want to be able to wear a watch, make relevant cuff a little wider.

4. Add an inch or so to the body to solve your tucking issues

5. I would keep the taper, it is slimming, and the shirts are too long to be worn un-tucked anyway.

As I said, its a nice fitting shirt, but the above would make is a great fitting shirt. Would you mind sharing the maker?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As it appears to be a button down, why is the collar not buttoned?

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't extend the sleeves another inch they'd be way too long. It's probably getting caught somewhere on the jacket you wear, ie armholes, and take a look at blackhoods suggestions and phxlawstudent.

instead of adding to the waist, you can take an inch off the chest, there's still alot of fabric there, although that depends how fitted of a shirt you want.

stephen

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! Very helpful... I haven't been able to make to the gym as much lately, so my body type has changed quite a bit (smaller arms + chest). I'll have to make a tough decision on whether to give-in to the new 70hr/wk work lifestyle or hope-against-hope that I'll have gym time.

I'll definitely:

a) switch to side pleats
b) cuff: -1/2"
c) length: +1"
d) sleeves: -1" (maybe)

Any other thoughts? It's always tough to judge in these static poses. I'll have to do some exciting action shots of me in front of an excel model sometime.

(By the way -- the shirt is from tailorstore.com. Haven't been super-satisfied with the fabric quality lately, but it's so difficult to switch to someone else when you have your sizing relatively down. It's a good business model -- high switching costs.)

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
first.
wash the shirt press the shirt
then try on with the button down buttons buttoned.

in general the fit is really off. the chest is too big. too much fullness in the upper back.
sleeves are rather full cuffs look very stiffly fused as does the button down collar.

stephen

Reaction score
Yeah, the back does look that way to me as well... lost quite a bit of musculature in the shoulders / upper-back (used to rock climb more extensively).

One more change:

e) -1" from upper back / yoke

Thanks! Any other suggestions?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stephen
Yeah, the back does look that way to me as well... lost quite a bit of musculature in the shoulders / upper-back (used to rock climb more extensively).

One more change:

e) -1" from upper back / yoke

The back is part of the chest measurement actually. The yoke is your shoulders. The yoke should end at your collar bone. If you feel your shoulder, you can tell where the bone ends, that's the general rule of thumb as to where the yoke should end.

But yeah, I would personally slim down the chest and go with side pleats. I like side pleats because if I don't use side pleats, my range of movement is reduced, or I have to increase the chest measurement, which sort of defeats the point. Plus, I'm wearing a jacket anyway...

As for makers, I have yet to be disappointed with propercloth's fabrics, however they aren't the cheapest maker, and certainly aren't the best. Modern Tailor is hit or miss and I've had issues with their manufacturing process (which may or may not be the case for others); but they are really cheap and I've gotten some nice feeling fabrics from them.

I mention these two over others because both offer a fit guarantee. PC offers it on every fabric. MT offers it only on their $20 shirts. Just another option if you feel like changing.

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stephen
This shirt doesn't look like it fits, at all, in any area except maybe the waist. The collar looks a bit big (also, why is it unbuttoned?), the shoulders look too big, the chest has too much cloth... it just doesn't look like it's worth putting any money into.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit is baaaad, especially for a custom made. Here's what I'd change: 1. decrease the chest measurement. 2. decrease the armhole measurement. 3. decrease the forearm measurement. 4. decrease the yoke/shoulder measurement by about half-an-inch to an inch. 5. decrease the waist measurement a little. 6. decrease the cuff measurement. 7. decrease the length of the shirt. 8. get rid of the back pleat. 9. seems like the collar may be too large, but I cannot say for sure. EDIT: For reference, here's how a shirt should fit (in my opinion):
XDC23.jpg

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^some would say that is too tight.

But if you are as slim as the OP, a shirt that fits like that wouldn't raise any concerns.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ that shirt is way too tight

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of bad responses in this thread, IMO. The sizing is only slightly off, not as bad as some people here claim. One of the reasons why you really shouldn't ask for size opinions on this, or any other forum, really. You get some really bad responses from people who (for the most part) are confusing opinion with fact, and don't really have the knowledge (barring the odd exception) to be making a proper, informed opinion anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads