or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › How much do you work?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much do you work? - Page 6

post #76 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidko19 View Post
I call bullshit on most of these guys in this thread.

dont go getting all "Woe is me! I work 100 hours a week! 8 days a week!" when you have more than 1,000 posts on SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post
Maybe most of those posts happen at work?


Exactly. "work" might entail sitting at your desk surfing the web and avoiding phone calls to your office.
post #77 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
Exactly. "work" mostly entails sitting at your desk surfing the web and avoiding phone calls to your office.

FTFY.
post #78 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidko19 View Post
I call bullshit on most of these guys in this thread.

dont go getting all "Woe is me! I work 100 hours a week! 8 days a week!" when you have more than 1,000 posts on SF.

Eh...most people here don't seem to be "Woe is me". They seem to have accepted that they work it (and there is an odd sense of pride amongst fresh ibankers of how much they work...obviously a coping mechanism but whatever)

As for the SF posts...it is all about downtime. Maybe this is why traders all dress so terribly? All of the traders I know have zero downtime at work (although they definitely make more per hour of work and will never be stuck in the office at midnight trying to meet a deadline).
post #79 of 141
I worked from December 26 to March 15 without a day off. Part of my job right now. My typical day involves getting to work about 6 in the morning and leaving about 8-9 at night except for the weekends which just involve mostly morning work and the odd occasional trip back to work to deal with problems. This schedule will not be permanent.
post #80 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
Eh...most people here don't seem to be "Woe is me". They seem to have accepted that they work it (and there is an odd sense of pride amongst fresh ibankers of how much they work...obviously a coping mechanism but whatever)

I used to want to work that many hours until I actually had to do it. Then I realized how much it sucked.
post #81 of 141
Resident (IM). Just got home from my last day of 12 straight. Thankfully have tomorrow off. Those 12 days included 2 overnights of 30+ hours (supposed to be capped at 30 but sometimes go over by an hour or two). My "regular" days are 12-14 hours long.
post #82 of 141
Not much right now, Im still studying and my school pays my eduction so its all good.
post #83 of 141
80-90 hours / week. And of the last 54 days I've worked 52 of them.
post #84 of 141
I used to work 100+ hour weeks, when I did campaign work. 8am-Midnight was a standard weekday, 10am-midnight was standard on weekends. It's an interesting experience, but only tolerable frankly because you know that it's coming to an end at a defined time -- election day. Working at political orgs was pretty much 9-5, until election season when it became more like 70-hour weeks. Now I work for a political tech startup, and I make my own hours at home. I used to do the who-has-the-bigger-work-dick thing, but it's definitely not worth the actual hours.
post #85 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Magoo, a former colleague of mine recently left the political world (his last stint was in fundraising) to become a development guy at a local non-profit. He loves it. Like you said, tons of women, great hours.

I was thisclose to pursuing a development career coming out of grad school. I even had a contact in my college's development office, and one of my specializations was NPO management. Perhaps unfortunately, I didn't really go after a job, but I do keep an eye out for positions in the field. It always seemed interesting to me, and I would probably consider a position if I happened upon one.
post #86 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidko19 View Post
I call bullshit on most of these guys in this thread.

dont go getting all "Woe is me! I work 100 hours a week! 8 days a week!" when you have more than 1,000 posts on SF.

The residents and doctors in this thread are quotting actual number of hours in the hospital. As far as downtime during the day, I had far more time as a resident. I was guaranteed at least an hour or two of instructional time that didn't involve me running around like a crazy man. More importantly, I got to eat. To maintain less than a 10 hour weekday usually involves forgoing any type of meal, 1 scheduled bathroom break, and power walking stairs.

Posting on SF is nice intellectual break that I usually reserve for the lag my billing takes, or, when I'm at home. Even the banter on SF is more intellectual than the crap coming from the TV.
post #87 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
I was thisclose to pursuing a development career coming out of grad school. I even had a contact in my college's development office, and one of my specializations was NPO management. Perhaps unfortunately, I didn't really go after a job, but I do keep an eye out for positions in the field. It always seemed interesting to me, and I would probably consider a position if I happened upon one.

These are not 9-5 jobs (but then again, what really well paying jobs are?) and you really need to be a self-starter. If you want an eye opener, pull the 990s on any local non-profit with a budget >$10 million and development revenues > $1.2 million or so. You'll find the head development person will being making 110k or more. Get into the big leagues, like say chief development officer for a large university, and you're talking 500k or more. With a big university, they'll have dozens of specialized folks, like say "major gifts, college of medicine," and they'll all be making 120-180k.
post #88 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant View Post
Most private practice IM attendings I know either work less hours and are paid significantly less, or have crazy busy schedules. NY has to be one of the worst states to practice medicine.

Yes NYC is very competitive. I think the opportunities get better the farther away you get from NYC. I've spoken with various attendings in the SF Bay area and that area sounds even more competitive than NYC.

OTOH I suspect the subset of well established docs in NYC who only take cash (no 3rd party payers) can do very well. I was recently looking for a physician for myself and all the ones recommended to me by friends don't accept insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997CTSurg View Post
I worked from December 26 to March 15 without a day off.
Part of my job right now.
My typical day involves getting to work about 6 in the morning and leaving about 8-9 at night except for the weekends which just involve mostly morning work and the odd occasional trip back to work to deal with problems.
This schedule will not be permanent.

Are you the only CTSurg in your area? Your schedule sounds like it was from back in the days of solo practice.
post #89 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
These are not 9-5 jobs (but then again, what really well paying jobs are?) and you really need to be a self-starter. If you want an eye opener, pull the 990s on any local non-profit with a budget >$10 million and development revenues > $1.2 million or so. You'll find the head development person will being making 110k or more. Get into the big leagues, like say chief development officer for a large university, and you're talking 500k or more. With a big university, they'll have dozens of specialized folks, like say "major gifts, college of medicine," and they'll all be making 120-180k.

Hours and pay depends who you are in the organization, of course.

Re: hours -- my wife was making about $75k for a well-heeled but low-paying private school as the "head" of prospect research. (She was the only prospect researcher.) She worked less than 9-5. Her best friend was making closer to $100k, and she was not working 9-5 either -- part-time now. Their boss was probably pulling in $150k - $200k. She worked longer hours, but not much more than 9-5. Probably 50-60 hour weeks, but that includes a lot of meetings and schmoozing with donors (i.e., socializing with the wealthy). The boss had, of course, a lot more accountability.

Re: self-starting -- not especially. It's a hierarchy so someone will tell you what to do, although of course you must know your job and do it. If you know the profession, then, yes, sometimes you must figure things out on your own, but it's not like being an entrepreneur or trader.
post #90 of 141
As standard, I do 8.5 hours Mon-Fri with an hour+ travelling on either side. Thereafter I also write press releases and sell them onto other companies (such as Cavendish) and make some extra cash that way.

So you can say I work 7 days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › How much do you work?