or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why do you buy used clothing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do you buy used clothing? - Page 8

post #106 of 124
I wonder how the guy's making out who bought the used (only twice!) RLPL butt thong.
post #107 of 124
I can't stand the thought of used clothing. Sure, I love shopping for a deal at sale season or at the outlets. But the idea of wearing someone else's old clothes makes me cringe. I also wouldn't buy a used car or watch. Having someone else's old stuff just doesn't appeal to me. That is particularly true with clothes. I won't even buy something I know has been tried on in the store (if paying full price).

I also don't understand why people think used stuff is a good deal. It isn't like you got something new for a substantial discount, you have something that is far less valuable, and, of course, you pay less for it. The reason it is so cheap is that people, for the most part, don't believe in buying a used Zegna suit over a new Brooks Brothers (I'd sooner shop at the Men's Warehouse than on eBay). I know many here disagree, and I will just agree to disagree without anyone judging anyone else. This is just my opinion.
post #108 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP
I can't stand the thought of used clothing. Sure, I love shopping for a deal at sale season or at the outlets. But the idea of wearing someone else's old clothes makes me cringe. I also wouldn't buy a used car or watch. Having someone else's old stuff just doesn't appeal to me. That is particularly true with clothes. I won't even buy something I know has been tried on in the store (if paying full price).

I also don't understand why people think used stuff is a good deal. It isn't like you got something new for a substantial discount, you have something that is far less valuable, and, of course, you pay less for it. The reason it is so cheap is that people, for the most part, don't believe in buying a used Zegna suit over a new Brooks Brothers (I'd sooner shop at the Men's Warehouse than on eBay). I know many here disagree, and I will just agree to disagree without anyone judging anyone else. This is just my opinion.

I mostly agree with you, except for the fact that you can buy new goods on ebay. Also, how do you know nobody has tried on something you're buying at the store at full retail?
post #109 of 124
You're not the same DGP who used to post on sfwall.net, are you?
post #110 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP
I also don't understand why people think used stuff is a good deal. It isn't like you got something new for a substantial discount, you have something that is far less valuable, and, of course, you pay less for it.

Of course, the second you take the tag off your new purchase, it's worth just as little as when someone else buys the same item secondhand. You're the one paying the enormous depreciation that comes with a single wear.
post #111 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
You're the one paying the enormous depreciation that comes with a single wear.

We have a winner!
post #112 of 124
As to the new goods on ebay, I guess I'm just too big a skeptic to believe I'm getting new, genuine stuff at that great a deal.

Doc H- You have a good point, except for the fact that to me, at least, it's worth that premium to know that I'm the first owner.

I have ways of telling if something's been tried or not. For example, with jeans I usually just ask for one from the back, and with shirts, I see if all the packing is there for dress shirts. For example, if all the hard-to-place pins are in the right place, and if all the clips are on right, I am willing to bet it's mine first.
post #113 of 124
Geez, DGP, aren't you even curious about why you might feel this way? How do you ever buy a suit, jacket, or coat (since those aren't typically pinned and extra stock isn't kept in the back)?
But, really, DGP, I am curious. Are you the guy who used to post on sfwall.net?
post #114 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP
As to the new goods on ebay, I guess I'm just too big a skeptic to believe I'm getting new, genuine stuff at that great a deal.

Doc H- You have a good point, except for the fact that to me, at least, it's worth that premium to know that I'm the first owner.

I have ways of telling if something's been tried or not. For example, with jeans I usually just ask for one from the back, and with shirts, I see if all the packing is there for dress shirts. For example, if all the hard-to-place pins are in the right place, and if all the clips are on right, I am willing to bet it's mine first.

Interesting! How do you tell if your new watch has ever been tried on by someone prior to your purchase?

Or if your new car has ever been test driven by someone else?
post #115 of 124
DGP, If you feel this way about clothes, cars and watches. Whats your take on woman?
post #116 of 124
Quote:
I have ways of telling if something's been tried or not. For example, with jeans I usually just ask for one from the back, and with shirts, I see if all the packing is there for dress shirts. For example, if all the hard-to-place pins are in the right place, and if all the clips are on right, I am willing to bet it's mine first.

I'm just picturing that cartoon of an assembly line with the sign on the back wall OUR PRODUCT IS UNTOUCHED BY HUMAN HANDS. The assembly line is operated entirely by chimpanzees.
post #117 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
DGP, If you feel this way about clothes, cars and watches. Whats your take on woman?

+1, +1 , +1
post #118 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejsek
Geez, DGP, aren't you even curious about why you might feel this way? How do you ever buy a suit, jacket, or coat (since those aren't typically pinned and extra stock isn't kept in the back)?
But, really, DGP, I am curious. Are you the guy who used to post on sfwall.net?

I don't feel the same way about these items. I think it's because a jacket (or sweater, coat, vest, etc.) are worn over clothing. I care most about the stuff I "live in" like jeans/pants and shirts (never wear undershirts). I buy suits off the rack all the time w/o thinking (though I prefer it when the little clips are still on the pants holding them shut).
post #119 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
DGP, If you feel this way about clothes, cars and watches. Whats your take on woman?

I feel exactly the same about women as I do cars, clothes and watches: the more the better .

Seriously, I do think I have discriminating taste (though not to the same degree with women) and that is why I don't have an embarassing story about needing penicillin in college
post #120 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP
I feel exactly the same about women as I do cars, clothes and watches: the more the better .

Seriously, I do think I have discriminating taste (though not to the same degree with women) and that is why I don't have an embarassing story about needing penicillin in college

You can't stand used clothing (or even stuff that is tried on) yet one of your favorite places to shop is Saks Off Fifth?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why do you buy used clothing?