or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment - Page 25

post #361 of 7015
TRINI's tie's too bright for me. I like the color, think the tie's a pretty thing, but wouldn't wear it.

I have a theory percolating that CBD is more about projecting an overall image of sobriety than the specifics of what you wear. In that regard, I'd be more comfortable in a charcoal suit, white shirt, and skinny black knit tie than in a blue shirt and bright yellow tie.

Not that the yellow is inappropriate, mind you. Just more cheery than serious.
post #362 of 7015
Guess I must play. Popped this in WAYWRN a moment ago.

post #363 of 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
This is called jacquard? I would have called it pindot oxford or something. The pictures must be misleading about the scale of that pindot because it's probably 1/10th of the scale of the houndstooth in the tie (which is an unlined wool Isaia btw). From 3 feet away, the shirt simply looks like a very light blue solid - you have to be very close to see any texture in it.

I do agree that a solid one would have been better - but I have a strange way to dress in the morning - I start with the shirt, and take them in the order they're hanging on the rack. Then I pick a suit, then a tie, then a square and shoes. But that's a different topic altogether.

The leather cufflinks seem to casual for CBD, although I guess they are somewhat consistent with the suit.
post #364 of 7015
i'm liking the black shoes with suits in this thread especially the way man of kent rocks it.
post #365 of 7015
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
The tie's too bright for me. I like the color, think the tie's a pretty thing, but wouldn't wear it.

I have a theory percolating that CBD is more about projecting an overall image of sobriety than the specifics of what you wear. In that regard, I'd be more comfortable in a charcoal suit, white shirt, and skinny black knit tie than in a blue shirt and bright yellow tie.

Not that the yellow is inappropriate, mind you. Just more cheery than serious.

I don't know how old you were 1985-1987 or so, but yellow ties were EVERYWHERE. It was the era of the "power tie" and yellow was the "power color", which was said to change mysteriously from time to time.

I loved yellow ties in those days an I still do. I worked part time at a law firm in the early '90s and a partner would chide me for my yellow ties because he said they were passe.

Still can't stand red.
post #366 of 7015
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn View Post
Guess I must play. Popped this in WAYWRN a moment ago.
Not a fan here.

The shoulders appear to be extremely wide and the coat looks out of balance.

The shirt color is too dark, the collar is too small and has no roll.

The tie I don't like at all. I just don't like complex paisleys. I like paisleys to be small and simple.

As it happens I have on a blue BD today with a yellow(ish) paisley tie. Can't post pics until later.
post #367 of 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
Not with that tie and those shoes.

Mike

LOL, that one hit me below the belt because I wear them all the time with conservative suits. I just dont like wearing my black lace ups if there is a chance of bad weather.

Doc,

For yellow ties I feel that only a pale yellow is conservative. I consider a solid blue shirt to be CBD, but certainly a bengal stripe in navy on white would be much better fit to a yellow tie with a neat pattern.
post #368 of 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I don't know how old you were 1985-1987 or so, but yellow ties were EVERYWHERE. It was the era of the "power tie" and yellow was the "power color", which was said to change mysteriously from time to time.

I loved yellow ties in those days an I still do. I worked part time at a law firm in the early '90s and a partner would chide me for my yellow ties because he said they were passe.

Still can't stand red.

I love yellow ties as well. I just think Trini's was too bright. Maybe it is more subdued in real light.

Mike
post #369 of 7015
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
I love yellow ties as well. I just think Trini's was too bright. Maybe it is more subdued in real light.

Mike
I have yellow ties ranging from very pale to darkish gold, from very vivid to very subdued. I like them all. One does get worn more than the others.
post #370 of 7015
Me too, it's certainly one of my favorites along with navy.
post #371 of 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Not a fan here.

The shoulders appear to be extremely wide and the coat looks out of balance.

The shirt color is too dark, the collar is too small and has no roll.

The tie I don't like at all. I just don't like complex paisleys. I like paisleys to be small and simple.

As it happens I have on a blue BD today with a yellow(ish) paisley tie. Can't post pics until later.

The foibles of a photo.

The suit is a Ralph Lauren Black Label that has been tailored heavily by William Field to correct the balance (I have a sway back and slightly rounded shoulders, so everyting OTR needs work to wear correctly). The RLBL suits have somewhat larger shoulders than the norm but not out proportion for me.

You may be right about the shirt; I labor with crap at the moment and this particular shirt dates from my quick buys to account for some major weight loss. Custom shirts are on the way, however, so I expect improvement.

Unfortunately, the lighting wasn't so good so everything appears a bit darker than it is. I fear a lighter shirt would have made the paisley tie jump out a bit too much.

We'll agree to disagree about paisleys. I don't like small paisley patterns. Looks like dancing sperm. Larger paisleys are tricky but if the colors blend, I think they work and add flair without going too dandy.
post #372 of 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I have yellow ties ranging from very pale to darkish gold, from very vivid to very subdued. I like them all. One does get worn more than the others.

Which one?

Mike
post #373 of 7015
I don't like any of these items. Not my cup of tea at all. That said, it looks like a business outfit - I see shirts of that shade of blue all the time in offices and meetings, whether I like them or not.
post #374 of 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysc View Post
The size of the pattern on the tie is a little close to that on the shirt no? Perhaps it isn't and I just don't really like the pattern on the shirt.
Somehow between the pinstripes on the suit, the shirt and the pattern on the tie it looks a little busy in the close up. It looks fine from the distance shot though.
...

Thank you. It's probably my favourite shirt though
Maybe a solid navy grenadine would work better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post
Latex glove in breast pocket?

(Sorry, MoK. Couldn't resist.)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I like the shoes a lot. Everything else is a bit busy but I agree, nothing clashes. I probably would drop one pattern.

Thanks. The shoes are a damp day standard - the leather quality is mediocre (in that it's rather stiff) but they hold up to rain remarkably well.

I thought I was just on the right side of 'too busy' with only two patterns (admittedly one repeated in a different scale) but swapping the tie for a solid would be quieter...
post #375 of 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I don't know how old you were 1985-1987 or so, but yellow ties were EVERYWHERE. It was the era of the "power tie" and yellow was the "power color", which was said to change mysteriously from time to time.

I loved yellow ties in those days an I still do. I worked part time at a law firm in the early '90s and a partner would chide me for my yellow ties because he said they were passe.

Still can't stand red.

Yeah, that was before my day. And I've never been one for power anything. My battery lacks sufficient charge.

In general, I find it hard to wear any bright tie, except for a cheery look in the spring and summer. I have some deep gold ties I like, but they rarely get worn.

Love red, though, when well applied (meaning not too garish).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment