or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment - Page 79

post #1171 of 7027


post #1172 of 7027
I have to go mingle with the unwashed masses of Traffic Court this afternoon.

So, I am in the New Orleans approved, and not too flashy, rig. BB vintage sack, Polo OCBD, vintage Elliot Gant tie and Florsheim Imperials in Shell.

Mike



post #1173 of 7027
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post

Damn nice looking shoes!
post #1174 of 7027
Great coat, gdl. A strong argument for the solid gray odd jacket.

UC, like the suit, but you gotta de-Vox that tie.

Banis, dig the shirt and tie -- esp. the tie -- but perhaps not with that suit.
post #1175 of 7027
post #1176 of 7027
mbrienen all of your jackets look too boxy and tight in the chest.
post #1177 of 7027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
mbrienen all of your jackets look too boxy and tight in the chest.

Wow, every one, huh? Considering the fact that I own probably over 30 suits and SCs, that is a pretty large blanket statement. This is a vintage sack suit, not a type known for a sleek line.

This is also pretty funny, since just about everything I put up has a natural shoulder. So, any boxiness is simply a reflection of the fact that I have very broad, and flat shoulders. I don't own a single SC or suit that does not have pretty open quarters, either. Finally, over on the "Commoner's WAYWRN," I was frequently hearing criticism that my jackets had too much waist suppression.

Mike
post #1178 of 7027
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
Wow, every one, huh? Considering the fact that I own probably over 30 suits and SCs, that is a pretty large blanket statement. This is a vintage sack suit, not a type known for a sleek line.

This is also pretty funny, since just about everything I put up has a natural shoulder. So, any boxiness is simply a reflection of the fact that I have very broad, and flat shoulders. I don't own a single SC or suit that does not have pretty open quarters, either. Finally, over on the "Commoner's WAYWRN," I was frequently hearing criticism that my jackets had too much waist suppression.

Mike

maybe try a longer jacket? I don't know. it's always something that's stood out to me in your pics.
post #1179 of 7027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
maybe try a longer jacket? I don't know. it's always something that's stood out to me in your pics.

I am going to be quite frank with you, I don't see it. Not even with this Brooks suit do I see an overly boxy silhoutte. Now, I have put up jackets in the past that had stronger shoulders and did appear too boxy. But that was quite some ago.

However, since I am looking at myself, and we tend to do so through rose colored glasses, I would appreciate it if you explained....and even showed me a couple of my pics that illustrate your argument.

Mike
post #1180 of 7027

post #1181 of 7027
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
I am going to be quite frank with you, I don't see it. Not even with this Brooks suit do I see an overly boxy silhoutte. Now, I have put up jackets in the past that had stronger shoulders and did appear too boxy. But that was quite some ago.

However, since I am looking at myself, and we tend to do so through rose colored glasses, I would appreciate it if you explained....and even showed me a couple of my pics that illustrate your argument.

Mike

I don't know about the boxy part, but it frequently seems like your lapels aren't sitting flat against your chest, which is a sign of tightness.
post #1182 of 7027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
This winter will never end.

Here neither. Maybe snow Saturday night (but we'll be in the Keys, so who cares).





post #1183 of 7027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Not a fan of the tie. I pretty much don't like self-striped anything. I'm sure there is an exception somewhere but at present I can't think of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey View Post
I was going to say the same thing, but I didn't know the term - self stripe - good to know.


As I had the camera out again, I thought I'd try a close-up in case it changed your minds. It probably won't



Striped ties are difficult for an Englishman who feels too hidebound by convention to risk anything remotely resembling a regimental or club tie (most of the alternatives tend to lean to the hideous side of 'interesting')

I could go for a tie that I'm entitled to wear, but I'm not 100% convinced it would that be wearable:



Although this one would be a possibilty :



Thoughts?
post #1184 of 7027
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
I am going to be quite frank with you, I don't see it. Not even with this Brooks suit do I see an overly boxy silhoutte. Now, I have put up jackets in the past that had stronger shoulders and did appear too boxy. But that was quite some ago.

However, since I am looking at myself, and we tend to do so through rose colored glasses, I would appreciate it if you explained....and even showed me a couple of my pics that illustrate your argument.

Mike

Fwiw, I also frequently think "boxy" when I look at your pics. I thought that was just how you shoulders are built. It doesn't look terribly bad, but I think you could profit from something that made your shoulders look more sloped.
post #1185 of 7027
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post
Striped ties are difficult for an Englishman who feels too hidebound by convention to risk anything remotely resembling a regimental or club tie (most of the alternatives tend to lean to the hideous side of 'interesting')

I could go for a tie that I'm entitled to wear, but I'm not 100% convinced it would that be wearable:



Entitled to that one, huh? Were you once an elf?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment