or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment - Page 70

post #1036 of 7015
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett View Post
..
I see I am going to have to re-explain the purpose of this thread every 48 hours or so.
post #1037 of 7015
I can't decide whether the Liberty print is too busy against the stripes or not:





post #1038 of 7015
Shirt + tie= fine. I like that actually. Would look better with a plain grey suit IMO. Edit: also, shirt and tie colors call for brown shoes here IMO
post #1039 of 7015
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post
I can't decide whether the Liberty print is too busy against the stripes or not:
OK. This is highly critical. Apologies in advance.

I don't like the tie; too cartooney. The shirt has too much white; if the stripes were closer together, I would like it. I think, also, there are too many patterns. If you are going to combine four, which is not out of the question, most of them need to be very quiet and at least one needs to be "functionally soild," that is, a pattern that blends together from a distance.

I think that cut is not flattering on you. It's a bit flared an hippy, which the hacking pockets, back-set ticket and super-closed quarters only emphasize. Also, the fronts above the button look like they are bowing open. I'd like to see less of a U shape there and more of a V.
post #1040 of 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post
I can't decide whether the Liberty print is too busy against the stripes or not:

I like, it but not for CBD, but then again I am biased: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...nd#post4155097
post #1041 of 7015
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition View Post
Pretty much as close to CBD as I get, except...single breasted peak lapels


This combo is something I have been doing more and more, though not SB peak. Either plain vanilla SB or DB.

I think SB peak is not CBD. I agree, it's a classic, been around forever, not "incorrect," but it's a dandy cut, moreso than DB, which I think is more common and therefore more easily processable by the uninitiated.
post #1042 of 7015
See, I think this looks too formal. If I saw you walking around in this outfit, I'd think you were going to a wedding, a dinner or a funeral, not to work.
post #1043 of 7015
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
See, I think this looks too formal. If I saw you walking around in this outfit, I'd think you were going to a wedding, a dinner or a funeral, not to work.

I wear that to work when I have somewhere fancy to go in the evening.
post #1044 of 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
This combo is something I have been doing more and more, though not SB peak. Either plain vanilla SB or DB.

I think SB peak is not CBD. I agree, it's a classic, been around forever, not "incorrect," but it's a dandy cut, moreso than DB, which I think is more common and therefore more easily processable by the uninitiated.

I am a big fan of soilds all around. I think you can do a lot with different textures of solids such as a flannel that absorbs light and a slk tie reflecting. Or a smooth worsted with a linen square, cashmere tie.

One thing that I picked up from "The Suit" that I am not so sure was intentionally emphasized, but I really took to was there is a lot more to the "dandy" look than just colors everywhere like the lay person might think. It has a lot to do with cut, texture, and small details to stand apart. I think this photo is one of them, subtlely standing out while fitting in.

Just to digress the section on the difference between fit and silhouette changed my whole perspective on the suit and opened my eye to the possibilities. Thank you for that.
post #1045 of 7015
A grey day.. Is this CBD?



post #1046 of 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
Shirt + tie= fine. I like that actually. Would look better with a plain grey suit IMO.

Edit: also, shirt and tie colors call for brown shoes here IMO

Thank you I agree on both counts - definitely a plain suit be that navy or grey, and brown shoes would look better (hey I'm an Englishman, the default option is always black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
OK. This is highly critical. Apologies in advance.

I don't like the tie; too cartooney. The shirt has too much white; if the stripes were closer together, I would like it. I think, also, there are too many patterns. If you are going to combine four, which is not out of the question, most of them need to be very quiet and at least one needs to be "functionally soild," that is, a pattern that blends together from a distance.

I think that cut is not flattering on you. It's a bit flared an hippy, which the hacking pockets, back-set ticket and super-closed quarters only emphasize. Also, the fronts above the button look like they are bowing open. I'd like to see less of a U shape there and more of a V.

Thank you, and no apologies necessary - I appreciate honest feedback.

I expected the tie print would be divisive, as my collection of Liberty Print ties go, it's relatively restrained .
I wasn't sure whether the boldness of the red stripe would mitigate against the slightly white dominant ground of the shirt for your taste.

I agree there are too many patterns, and I think gdl's suggestion of a solid suit would help a lot, and maybe I should have gone for the safer solid burgundy PS (I think if I can find one a very deep purple solid might be ideal).

Regarding the suit fit, I agree the photo is not flattering, but I think that might be my poor attempts at robot posing that are causing some of the issues. A quick sprint to look at myself in the workplace gent's mirror confirms I was pulling my chest up abnormally which has caused the bowing of the upper fronts and the closing of the quarters. I'm not sure it's the most flattering cut on me (in fact I'm sure it isn't) but I don't think it's normally as bad as it looks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
I like, it but not for CBD, but then again I am biased: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...nd#post4155097

Thanks
post #1047 of 7015
Thread Starter 
PG, not in love with the safety pin but everything else is
post #1048 of 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Guido View Post
Redneck tie bar?
post #1049 of 7015
IRL I suspect I'd find the pin really distracting -- why does he have that stuck in his tie?

Do a lot of people ask about it, PG?
post #1050 of 7015
PG, could you remind us how much it cost as well?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment