• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off)

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a spin off on Parker's great thread, i decided to start another thread on GRAY ... second only to BLUE in my opinion as the greatest color a man can wear. Gray is like a canvas, which allows you to paint to your heart's desire (or detriment).

My personal preference is for mid and light gray ... any variation from stone to charcoal can be a winner also, when done right.

Some examples to start it off ...
e3df7795.jpg

9f70f880.jpg

9ac7c254.jpg

6f785e6f.jpg

7ded3d01.jpg

43db5204.jpg

ndw

Reaction score
That jeffreyd suit is so killer.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the light grey favouritism. It seems hard to come by a quality suit in a solid light gray colour though.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I second the light grey favouritism. It seems hard to come by a quality suit in a solid light gray colour though.

I recently snagged a light grey Isaia suit that is the ducks nuts.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
I recently snagged a light grey Isaia suit that is the ducks nuts.

Where did you find such a treasure?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I like it! I would have gone with burgundy shoes instead though.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Here's a question I posted into the quick questions thread, but didn't receive a reply.

I wear a lot of medium gray pants. I personally hate the way khaki colored pants look, never wear black, and rarely wear navy.

For a spring/fall lightweight jacket, what would you recommend in a business casual setting? (Collared button down shirt + pants, no suit/tie)

Charcoal/black? Tan? What style?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Here's a question I posted into the quick questions thread, but didn't receive a reply.

I wear a lot of medium gray pants. I personally hate the way khaki colored pants look, never wear black, and rarely wear navy.

For a spring/fall lightweight jacket, what would you recommend in a business casual setting? (Collared button down shirt + pants, no suit/tie)

Charcoal/black? Tan? What style?

Can't go wrong with navy/blue in linen. But even better might be something in medium/light brown. I prefer my SC's to have some sort of pattern so brownish with a windowpane pattern is perfect with grey or navy pants.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Where did you find such a treasure?

under a golden cloud that was guarded by a unicorn. hehehe

here on B&S actually.

Macallan

Reaction score
I prefer greys over blues for suits, same applies to odd jackets and trousers; and prefer blues for shirts and casual-wear.

In terms of suit versatility, cannot beat a single-breasted mid-grey suit.

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with navy/blue in linen. But even better might be something in medium/light brown. I prefer my SC's to have some sort of pattern so brownish with a windowpane pattern is perfect with grey or navy pants.

Exactly what I would say! I have a medium brown sport coat with a small blue windowpane pattern that I wear year-round. I get more compliments on that jacket than all my others combined.

And I love gray (or is it grey?) - you can't have too many pairs of gray trousers.

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
I wear a lot of medium gray pants. For a spring/fall lightweight jacket, what would you recommend in a business casual setting? (Collared button down shirt + pants, no suit/tie)
Achilles mentioned brown and I agree, although I think it works better as an A/W jacket (if looking for season specific colours and medium-blue as a S/S colour). If you wear plain greys, then go for a simple pattern brown or vice versa.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.2%

Forum statistics

Threads