or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Ice Hockey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ice Hockey - Page 28

post #406 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
I don't know much about hockey, but how ridiculous is Ovechkin's current scoring streak these playoffs? Is it considered epic yet?

no.
post #407 of 1368
Well, that was pretty sad. Too many stupid mistakes, I think that's the series in the bag for Chicago. Hopefully we can force a 7th game, but that was a pivotal one.
post #408 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcuknu View Post
no.

Well if he keeps this up he will be close to the single-postseason record for goals scored, assuming the Capitals can somehow advance.
post #409 of 1368
The impressive thing about it is that the capitals have 14 goals in the series and 7 are Ovechkin's. Without him they'd lose every game.
post #410 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_May View Post
The impressive thing about it is that the capitals have 14 goals in the series and 7 are Ovechkin's. Without him they'd lose every game.

That's why he should win the MVP this season.
post #411 of 1368
+1.
post #412 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoneo View Post
That's why he should win the MVP this season.
It depends on your perspective. I believe he is the most valuable player to his team bar none, and I think that's what should win you the award, so yeah I think he should. Others think it should go to the best player all-around in the league, and despite all the hype around the pens and caps, the best player in the NHL this year was Pavel Datsyuk, simply because he plays better defence than Malkin and Ovechkin combined and still scored 99 points.
post #413 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_May View Post
It depends on your perspective. I believe he is the most valuable player to his team bar none, and I think that's what should win you the award, so yeah I think he should. Others think it should go to the best player all-around in the league, and despite all the hype around the pens and caps, the best player in the NHL this year was Pavel Datsyuk, simply because he plays better defence than Malkin and Ovechkin combined and still scored 99 points.

I would agree with that perspective, but any of the three would be good choices.
post #414 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_May View Post
despite all the hype around the pens and caps, the best player in the NHL this year was Pavel Datsyuk, simply because he plays better defence than Malkin and Ovechkin combined and still scored 99 points.

True, good point.
post #415 of 1368
It doesn't matter though because who actually wins the award now is basically who the guys who get to vote think will be better PR for the league. So, probly Ovechkin anyway.
post #416 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_May View Post
The impressive thing about it is that the capitals have 14 goals in the series and 7 are Ovechkin's. Without him they'd lose every game.
Thats not how it works. Hockey does not act in a vacuum. He is not playing well enough to be carrying his team. In the series against the blue shirts he was average at best (for someone of his skill level), and while he has played very well against the pens if the caps are to advance they will ned Varly to be the team MVP, as AO cannot do it all alone.
post #417 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcuknu View Post
Thats not how it works. Hockey does not act in a vacuum.
I'm not sure what this actually means, but if you look at this series, they would most likely have lost both games they won without his presence, regardless of who filled his spot. Moreover your goalie doesn't HAVE to be your MVP to win in the playoffs... see Chris Osgood... but it does help.
post #418 of 1368
I never said that your MVP has to be the goaltender, but with the caps, that is the case. They are not even close in terms of depth compared to the wings.
post #419 of 1368
Fair enough, I take your point. Although honestly, if Varlamov plays really well and they win the cup, I would still bet a fair bit of money on Ovechkin winning the conn smythe.
post #420 of 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_May View Post
It depends on your perspective. I believe he is the most valuable player to his team bar none, and I think that's what should win you the award, so yeah I think he should. Others think it should go to the best player all-around in the league, and despite all the hype around the pens and caps, the best player in the NHL this year was Pavel Datsyuk, simply because he plays better defence than Malkin and Ovechkin combined and still scored 99 points.

I do not believe Datsyuk should be. Here is why. He only averaged around 17-18min per game. His team's PP is sick and is a powerhouse. He has help in the form of Zetterberg and Lidstrom . Mallkin has the help of Crosby. Ovechkin had about 22-23 min of ice time per game and shot ~100 more shots than the next player (Eric Staal). Semin was hurt for some of the year and so was Green.... Just saying.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Ice Hockey