or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › What's so awful about Abercrombie & Fitch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's so awful about Abercrombie & Fitch? - Page 3

post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by westinghouse View Post
If you can't see it yourself, there is no fuckin' hope for you.

this entire forum summed up in a sentence.
post #32 of 40
Hmm, associations...

Wasn't A&F originally something you were supposed to associate with big bad old money white guy colonizers adventuring to the heart of exotic locales? Something like a highbrow J Petermann? Lots of khaki stuff with zippers and whatnot?
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post
Hmm, associations...

Wasn't A&F originally something you were supposed to associate with big bad old money white guy colonizers adventuring to the heart of exotic locales? Something like a highbrow J Petermann? Lots of khaki stuff with zippers and whatnot?

Heh. A & F was an outfitter akin to llb etc, but they've been around a little bit longer -- lat 19th century? I'm old enough to remember the tail end of their run...they had a store in Midtown till the late 80s at which you could actually buy real fishing and hunting gear.

...then sometime in the mid 90s the Limited bought the name...and thus the current incarnation. I do have to say it was brilliant brand positioning (snooty sounding name + softcore gay porn = teenage hetero juggernaut).

I guess if you care about heritage etc. the current A & F is an abomination. But wear it if you like.
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post
Hmm, associations...

Wasn't A&F originally something you were supposed to associate with big bad old money white guy colonizers adventuring to the heart of exotic locales? Something like a highbrow J Petermann? Lots of khaki stuff with zippers and whatnot?

That's back when they had a billboard of Teddy Roosevelt, bedroom eyes and all, hunched over a rhino he bagged in the Serengeti. Top of the safari jacket unbuttoned. Sweat stains under his arms. Dust on his eyeglasses. Hot!

http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1790873

post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1 View Post
...then sometime in the mid 90s the Limited bought the name...and thus the current incarnation. I do have to say it was brilliant brand positioning (snooty sounding name + softcore gay porn = teenage hetero juggernaut).





Quote:
That's back when they had a billboard of Teddy Roosevelt, bedroom eyes and all, hunched over a rhino he bagged in the Serengeti. Top of the safari jacket unbuttoned. Sweat stains under his arms. Dust on his eyeglasses. Hot!

post #36 of 40
I received a $100 gift card to A&F over christmas and attempted to spend it, I ended up just getting sweat pants. The problem with them besides the obvoius is their clothes are cut for kids. I'm built like a guy, that is to say I go to the gym and I have shoulders. I usually wear an M/L shirt (vince fits me fine, BoO is to narrow), even with an XL the shoulder was starting up on my traps. Silly kids
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpyro View Post
I received a $100 gift card to A&F over christmas and attempted to spend it, I ended up just getting sweat pants. The problem with them besides the obvoius is their clothes are cut for kids. I'm built like a guy, that is to say I go to the gym and I have shoulders. I usually wear an M/L shirt (vince fits me fine, BoO is to narrow), even with an XL the shoulder was starting up on my traps. Silly kids
Why not get the XXL, or do you have the length of a kid instead of the shoulders of a kid?
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpyro View Post
I'm built like a guy, that is to say I go to the gym
shut up
post #39 of 40
lol, abertools.
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpyro View Post
I received a $100 gift card to A&F over christmas and attempted to spend it, I ended up just getting sweat pants.

The problem with them besides the obvoius is their clothes are cut for kids. I'm built like a guy, that is to say I go to the gym and I have shoulders. I usually wear an M/L shirt (vince fits me fine, BoO is to narrow), even with an XL the shoulder was starting up on my traps. Silly kids

well, the shirts and tees have their sleeve seam higher up as an aesthetic point. for the right size in any AF shirt the seam will be high up on your shoulder. it's that way on me as well. it's the AF 'preppy antifit' look that's what i call it, which includes the longer sleeves (which i like) and so forth.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › What's so awful about Abercrombie & Fitch?