• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of Navy

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think navy is the greatest color for men's clothing. It could be construed as boring, but I think it's really versatile and always looks good. In any season. On almost any complexion. Suits, jackets, casual jackets, denim, sweaters, scarves... so many things look good in navy. And while I still wear splashes of color and am keen on used car salesman sport coats, I probably wear solid or semi-solid navy 80% of the time. I also think navy-on-navy looks really good in the MC mode. e.g. navy tie, navy jacket.

Anyway this thread is for talking about navy. Here's a few MC style samples.

2i78k1y.jpg

6188PS1web.jpg

91308284.jpg

Eskyd2.jpg

BryanFerryH-60acb560-4270-4d5f-8026-c382bb7b0c42-0-450x521-1.jpg

Diavolo

Reaction score
It really is the platform of style.

I love grey too. Navy and navy together or navy and grey.

Navy suit, white or pale blue shirt and navy tie is the world's simplest option and posssibly the most ignored, yet it is the epitome of elegance.

Small variations work with navy suits/jackets too - such as a solid brown, deep olive, deep burgundy or deep purple tie.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Navy is my favorite color, and the color I wear most in suits and odd jackets. In fact, I'm wearing a navy suit today.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love navy and all the subtle variations in shades of it.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy is great as long as there is texture to the fabric (if solid) and/or if there are stripes. The more flannelly the look of the fabric the more I love it.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Navy is great as long as there is texture to the fabric (if solid) and/or if there are stripes. The more flannelly the look of the fabric the more I love it.

I agree
fing02[1].gif

I have a flannel navy chalkstripe suit that looks amazing! Pair it with a camel hair overcoat and awesomeness ensues
laugh.gif

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well done Parker - looking to
lurker[1].gif
and contribute.

AB01

Reaction score
I don't like navy so much.

Some say it is boring. This is extra true for me.

My dad always wore navy. Always. His dad always wore navy. Always. I always wore navy. Always, until now. Now I am sick of it. I know it is vertistile and works with my skin tone, but I like what I can do with charcoal grey + any colour.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
navy is a nice color and definitely one to build a wardrobe around but i find it somewhat a collegiate color or a young color. more sophisticated colors to build around would be different types of greys and charcoals.

Now that my hair (that which remains) is nearly white, I think my navy suits and sportcoats add a much-needed contrast. Greys and charcoals in my case appear flat.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have a navy blazer (yes, blazer, not sport coat) on today. Its the one thing that every feller should own. Unfortunately, I own about a half a dozen now. I never thought there would be a need for more than one navy coat. Hardly the case, shades of navy, fabric, weaves, peak lapel, notch, brass buttons, white buttons, horn, length, etc. Then theres a million different shades of navy.
laugh.gif

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love navy. Not just for suits, but for polos, turtlenecks, etc. It's really remarkable how flattering it is to almost everyone.

However, I'd like to take this opportunity to state that if you wear black shoes with a navy suit, you are a filthy pigf**ker. I thank you for your time.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
However, I'd like to take this opportunity to state that if you wear black shoes with a navy suit, you are a filthy pigf**ker. I thank you for your time.

You're crazy.

Plus, the swine is fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads