• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Convertible Car Owners?

cmrocks

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm wondering how many people on here own convertible cars? I'm shopping for a car and I was hoping to get some opinions on them. Do those of you who own them regret having bought one?

Right now, I'm looking very strongly at a 2002 or 2003 Porsche Carrera. On the used market, the coupes are cabriolets are about the same price and found in about the same abundance. I've test drove both and don't really notice any difference in performance. The convertible certainly doesn't look as nice with the top up but that's to be expected.

I used to ride motorcycles a lot but I had a pretty good crash in 2009 that left me laying on the ground about 5 feet from being run over by a city bus. I wasn't hurt at all but ever since then I've sort of lost the desire to ride. I've been thinking that a convertible car might be sort of half way to the feeling of riding a bike.

I live in Vancouver so it does rain a lot but there are definitely days in November - February where it is sunny and 10C where the top could come down.

I'm still leaning towards the coupe just because I know what everyone will say if I buy a convertible. People just seem to have something against them and they portray a certain image that I'm not sure I want.

Thanks

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own an S2000, but the fact that it was a convertible was low on the list of reasons why I bought it. I find almost all convertibles uglier than their hard-top counterparts (not an issue with the S2000, though there are a few hard top options out there that look pretty nice).

That said, I don't deny that it's fun to drive with the top down on a nice day. What was not fun was the time I walked outside to see that some kid had run up on top of my last S2000 and fallen through the roof. Hopefully you will not experience this issue should you go the convertible route.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
I owned a convertible once (VW Cabriolet, haha) and it was super fun to drive... ONLY when it was nice out. I'll never forget driving from NYC to Hilton Head in SC one day with some friends, watching the sun come up as we cruised toward the coast. I will also never forget being stuck at a rest stop in CT during a torrential downpour with a dead battery and a leaky roof.

I would only buy another one if I lived in LA or something where it never rains. I would never buy one in the pacific NW that sounds like a nightmare... However if you used to ride a bike, I guess you choose your days. And driving in a convertible through on those winding tree lined roads on a nice day would probably be a pretty amazing experience.

It's tough to sway people away from buying a convertible because that fact that they're even considering it means something about that person. I would say go for it.

.bishop

Reaction score
my woman has a 1 series convertiable, and its fun when the weather is perfect. when it is too hot, its too hot to have the top down cause you want AC circulating. it is a louder drive, it takes longer to warm up in the cabin, it seems to fog up a lot more than my bmw coupe. she loves it, so that's all that matters. if you can look past some litlte things, then it could be great. Just don't be that guy in 35 degree weather with a sunny day and the top down, windows up and a parka jacket.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by .bishop
its fun when the weather is perfect. when it is too hot, its too hot to have the top down cause you want AC circulating.

That's one of my biggest concerns. I have a feeling that I'll end up with the top up way more often than down because it's too hot in the summer or too cold/wet in the winter. I guess a person has to decide if those summer nights and spring/fall days are worth all the other times that it won't be used?

turboman808

Reaction score
I've always had a convertible since I had my license. It would be weird not to. Nothing like putting the top down on a nice day and feeling the sun on your face blasting down the highway.

I wouldn't have a convertible as my only car though. Just for fun.

However it has been my experience that girls really do not like them. They like them til they ride in them and it messes up their hair.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a convertible when I lived in the south, and kept it for only nine months. It was great when the sun wasn't up, but absolutely miserable on a hot sunny day. Noisy, too. Never again.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never had one, but really really want one. basically, one of these day I'll get one. sometimes I figure it will be 2 years, sometimes 6 years. if you want one and can get one now, do it.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a Sky roadster since '06. Fun car, sharp design for the price, and has kept me from DDing for going on 5 years
bigstar[1].gif
Forced me to master the art of packing light, and I stay pretty aware on the highway since the thing has some monster blind spots with the top up.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
However it has been my experience that girls really do not like them. They like them til they ride in them and it messes up their hair.

That has been my experience as well.

I still own one, though.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^In addition to the hair issue, you also can't hear each other very well, so conversation becomes difficult.

This may be considered either a plus or a minus, depending on the girl.

xpress

Reaction score
I too, was once a convertible man.
(Mine you I was rocking a 78 Fiat Spyder... Not exactly up to modern standards... But the top could be retracted in 6 seconds (My personal best))

As other members have mentioned... When its hot, you want AC... When its cold, you want a coupe...

I really enjoyed mine in the fall... 10-20 degrees... (I'm living across the country, in New Brunswick)

Oh, and yeah... The girlfriend hated it.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine buying a couple that wasn't a convertible. I wish they would make four door convertibles.

But, I put the top down whenever I could.

When it is cold out, you just blast the heat and use seat heaters (and the Porsche ones get really hot). When it is hot out - well, you might get hot, but you live in BC, so it doesn't actually get hot.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
I've had a Sky roadster since '06. Fun car, sharp design for the price, and has kept me from DDing for going on 5 years
bigstar[1].gif
Forced me to master the art of packing light, and I stay pretty aware on the highway since the thing has some monster blind spots with the top up.

I'm selling my 2007 solstice gxp. Same car as you probably know. And yes absolutely no space inside. I love the car but I just have to many and something has to go.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I'm selling my 2007 solstice gxp. Same car as you probably know. And yes absolutely no space inside. I love the car but I just have to many and something has to go.

Yep, it's amazing how little space is in the Solstice. We've gotten by for weekend trips, but I'd take the Z4 M Coupe for a serious road-trip.

Re. the convertible issue: some people would drive top down as long as it's not raining - dead of winter, blazing sun, whatever. I like convertibles (the Solstice is my 4th) but really I'm too finicky - during the day it's got to be overcast, otherwise I just use it at night, and then I prefer it to be above 60* and really I prefer to drive top-down outside of the city where you're sitting at lights on display. Those few times I actually use it, I really do enjoy it though. I think I'm a strong candidate for something with a folding hardtop. Now that the SLK350s are dipping in the low 20s...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads