• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question About Rise - How Adjustable?

Storm33

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question...how adjustable is the rise on pants? If I usually wear pants with a rise of 10.5" and a pair of pants in my waist size has a rise of 14", is that something my tailor should be able to work with?

I suppose I should ask my tailor but thought I would check with the experts here!
worship.gif

Thanks!

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
14"? Really?

Normally the back pockets get in the way of shortening the rise too much but in this case your tailor will probably be able to cut them right out. If there are any.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor said she could do it but that the pants needed to be "re-cut" which basically means they needed to be completely de-constructed and put back together. While certainly cost-prohibitive it might be worth it if the pants are part of a suit.

Matt S

Reaction score
What brand is this suit? Long rise trousers are so hard to find these days.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Storm33
RLBL. It's the first suit in this thread by Sartorialism

Please do me a favor and buy it before my wallet takes another hit.

I didn't know there were black label suits that had such trousers. But I can understand the 14" rise because it's a 3-piece suit. Ralph knows better than to design a 3-piece suit with low-rise trousers. It just doesn't work unless the waistcoat is ridiculously long, and then that looks really bad.

Storm33

Reaction score
Ahhhh . . . good point. I haven't worn a 3-piece since I was a kid, so I don't know how I look in one. I suppose it would look a bit "off" if I eschew the vest. I guess I have to decide if I can look good in a 3-piece. I wonder how the waist would fit since it rides higher...I was thinking I would have to have the pants taken in but maybe not.

Hmmm....lot to think about.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rise can often be shortened, but is difficult to impossible to lengthen.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Storm33
Ahhhh . . . good point. I haven't worn a 3-piece since I was a kid, so I don't know how I look in one. I suppose it would look a bit "off" if I eschew the vest. I guess I have to decide if I can look good in a 3-piece. I wonder how the waist would fit since it rides higher...I was thinking I would have to have the pants taken in but maybe not.

Hmmm....lot to think about.

Everyone looks good in a 3-piece suit. As for altering the trousers, unless you are overweight your waist will be smaller than your hips, where I take it you are used to wearing your trousers. But since you are considering a RLBL suit, you must have somewhat of a waist.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
My tailor said she could do it but that the pants needed to be "re-cut" which basically means they needed to be completely de-constructed and put back together. While certainly cost-prohibitive it might be worth it if the pants are part of a suit.

I had that done recently. I paid $60 or so.

Storm33

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Everyone looks good in a 3-piece suit. As for altering the trousers, unless you are overweight your waist will be smaller than your hips, where I take it you are used to wearing your trousers. But since you are considering a RLBL suit, you must have somewhat of a waist.

I didn't know...are they "waist-ey"?
smile.gif

I do have a waist at present...but not 40" (thankfully).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads