• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Quitting Vegetarianism.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a variety of reasons (changed personal philosophy, my workout goals and foodie gf among them) I am quitting over eight years of not eating meat. Feel free to offer up advice or congratulations.

I haven't decided what meal to officially break vegetarianism with but am looking to do some relatively gourmet home-cooking and have maybe a small dinner party.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Congrats on having the discipline to become a vegetarian and the sense to stop being one.
smile.gif

Word of wisdom--- ease yourself back into it. If you've truly been without animal protein for very long, it can wreak havoc on your stomach. I went vegetarian for about 2 months last year, and definitely regretted jumping back into eating meat with both feet at once.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kyle.

The discipline aspect of it was always one of the biggest appeals for me but now that I am doing a clean eating weight-training diet I can retain that sense of discipline.

noxlord

Reaction score
Why not let you foodie gf surprise you for your first meat meal ??

I would suggest pork ribs
smile.gif

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
go easy, buddy - something kinda tame like fish/chicken to ease yourself in would probably be a good idea. Have yourself something small and then celebrate big with your buddies.

that said, I have a friend who was vegetarian for 15+ years, went on a trip through chile and decided he wasn't vegetarian anymore. "eased himself in" by eating giant chilean steaks every night for 3 weeks. I think you'll be ok either way.

Dang, that first burger is going to be bliss. Kinda makes me wish I could do vegetarian for a few months....

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
For a variety of reasons (changed personal philosophy, my workout goals and foodie gf among them) I am quitting over eight years of not eating meat. Feel free to offer up advice or congratulations.

I haven't decided what meal to officially break vegetarianism with but am looking to do some relatively gourmet home-cooking and have maybe a small dinner party.

YES! I'm buying your girl shots the next time I see her.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
there are accounts of former vegetarians out there who dove into carnivore territory head first with no health/digestive issues. of course some moderation when you do start isn't a bad idea at all... either way I sure hope you like the taste of bacon and hamburgers and rib eye on your re-birth.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Word of wisdom--- ease yourself back into it. If you've truly been without animal protein for very long, it can wreak havoc on your stomach.

I've heard this from a lot of people. My next door neighbor went VEG because of a female, she dumped him, he had a steak and felt like he was gonna die. Just take it easy at first.....

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So if going back to meat after a while can take time getting used to, then it stands to reason that quitting meat does have a dramatic impact on your body. I always thought this was just nonsense spouted by 'new-age' or whatever dieters. It would be interesting to experience how I would feel after a couple of months meat-free.

mehhhh

Reaction score
I went back at it full swing after quitting vegetarianism, but I always ate fish. YMMV. Interesting choice, I don't regret it too often.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was vegan for 2 years solid. Broke that **** with a T-bone w/o out blinking one night camping. My stomach didn't flinch. You'll be fine. Don't go overboard and be prepared for some serious ******* flavor.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
damn, birthright really did wonders for you. fish.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gather all your closest peoples and dine on the finest burgers you can get obtain

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician

Be careful easing into it. My brother in law did the same and had an adverse reaction and continuing allergy problems involving an EPI pen being carried at all times.

alexanduh

Reaction score
welcome back. be sure to hit up some salt and pepper wagyu

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics