or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Slim Jim or APC New standard?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Slim Jim or APC New standard?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hey, I was wondering which of these pairs of jeans would look better in the long run.. All the pictures of APCs that I'ved seen look like crap when worn after 3 or 4 months. Leading me to belive that they do not reatain their shape very well. I've tried on APC and I like the way the look, but I don't want them to bag and sag out. Do Slim Jims reatain there shape better than APCs? THanks.
post #2 of 17
Thread Starter 
Anybody...
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
Hey, I was wondering which of these pairs of jeans would look better in the long run.. All the pictures of APCs that I'ved seen look like crap when worn after 3 or 4 months. Leading me to belive that they do not reatain their shape very well. I've tried on APC and I like the way the look, but I don't want them to bag and sag out. Do Slim Jims reatain there shape better than APCs? THanks.

The short answer is no. Jeans that retain their shape after extended periods of wear are those with a very tight weave. Of all the jeans I've worn, 5EP are probably best for this. Even then, if the jeans are particularly tight, or tight at all, they are going to stretch out at stress areas (butt, knees, thighs) noticeably.
post #4 of 17
Aren't APCs woven fairly tightly?
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thats what everyone says but they also say that it stretches more than most. Hmmm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
Thats what everyone says but they also say that it stretches more than most. Hmmm

They are woven fairly tightly. I should correct myself. However, the yarn they use, as well as being very durable, is very stretchy.
post #7 of 17
I say go with some Slim Jim dry Japans.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungee Man
I say go with some Slim Jim dry Japans.

I don't have these jeans, but if the denim is anything like that used for the RRDS, they will stretch quite a bit as well.

If You want a low rise, slim, straightleg jean, why don't you try the John Bull SC007 or SC008 from www.blueingreensoho.com . The hemp content in the jeans may make them less stretchy. That is just speculation though.

Or, conversely, just wash the jeans regularly. They will get their shape back. There is no real reason to not wash jeans for 1,3, 6 months. And you'll get good fading, just not the super pronounced whiskers that seem to be trendy right now (Yes, it is a trend.)
post #9 of 17
how much would you size down for slim jim drys ? 2 sizes? also, their not selvedge but ~how much will they stretch out??
post #10 of 17
I would say size down one. Two might be too tight. It also depends on how you want to wear them. How do you want to wear them?
post #11 of 17
like this: slim, but not skinny/legging tight i wondered if sizing down 2 was recommended because the selvedge versions of nudies are recommended to go down 2 sizes but these are dry, pardon my ignorance but are these like selvedge or washed or 1 washed?
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
They are woven fairly tightly. I should correct myself. However, the yarn they use, as well as being very durable, is very stretchy.

Is there something inherently different in the APC vs. RRDS denim that makes them fade differently? I've worn my APC NS for probably 4 months (off and on, over the period of a year+) and there is lots of distinct creasing, but really not that much fading (other than the back pocket). Whereas, in my RRDS that I've worn maybe 6 times, I am already starting to see some fading where my phone/keys are. Seems strange.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by raley
Is there something inherently different in the APC vs. RRDS denim that makes them fade differently? I've worn my APC NS for probably 4 months (off and on, over the period of a year+) and there is lots of distinct creasing, but really not that much fading (other than the back pocket). Whereas, in my RRDS that I've worn maybe 6 times, I am already starting to see some fading where my phone/keys are. Seems strange.

I have noticed the same thing. I think that Nudie deliberately oversaturates the jeans with indigo and also probably blends the dyes so that they don't hold as well to the fabric on purpose, since Nudie's whole deal with the dry selvedge models is that they will get great "character". No other dry denim or one wash models from any other company that I own fades as quickly as do my Nudies.
post #14 of 17
i think it's worth mentioning that any article of clothing, worn and washed as much as people wear and wash their dry denim is bound to lose its shape.
post #15 of 17
I know this makes me a heretic, but the whole shape/size guessing game has me sort of hesitant to start a new pair of dry jeans (I was really close to pulling the trigger on some stuff at big soho). As you all have said, over the long run both washed and dry jeans will change in shape, but I feel like you're always gambling in some sense with the latter.

We see the same posts about tons of different labels/cuts: do they shrink, do they stretch, how much, etc. etc. LA Guy's post re: yarn types made me think that it's totally a moving target anyway. This is kind of crazy, b/c aren't you dropping like $200+ on jeans that could look kind of wack on you after a few months/washes?

And then there's this wrench thrown into the equation, from History Preservation's Canes description: "due to the sometimes-erratic characteristics inherently associated with the raw, heavy cotton turned into denim produced on the old shuttle looms, waist measure can fluctuate by about 1" smaller than the label on the dungarees states". And don't even get me started on shrink-to-fit; I'm way too dumb to figure that out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Slim Jim or APC New standard?