or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place porn thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place porn thread. - Page 207

post #3091 of 3639
How did you cook the breast? Looks fantastic!
post #3092 of 3639
wow
post #3093 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom153 View Post

How did you cook the breast? Looks fantastic!

Slowly, in a pan.
post #3094 of 3639
AppleMark
post #3095 of 3639
AppleMark
post #3096 of 3639
Do you use up your whole fish within the small window it can be kept fresh, or do you filet and freeze?
post #3097 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbel View Post

Do you use up your whole fish within the small window it can be kept fresh, or do you filet and freeze?

Yeah, I usually alway eat it fresh. Turbot keeps well for at least 3 days in the fridge. Some say it gets better as it rests. This one will be gone by tomorrow night.
post #3098 of 3639
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
post #3099 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

Some say it gets better as it rests.
this is true, depending on when it was caught and how it was treated right after. miracle of rigor mortis.
post #3100 of 3639
Could you briefly talk about the impact of rigor mortis? I've read conflicting things.
post #3101 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Could you briefly talk about the impact of rigor mortis? I've read conflicting things.
am i being trolled? i can't believe anybody wants MORE of that pedantry.foo.gif
post #3102 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

am i being trolled? i can't believe anybody wants MORE of that pedantry.foo.gif

laugh.gif

No, seriously, I know whether it happens or not impacts the flesh I just don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing.
post #3103 of 3639
For a while people were really into killing fish Japanese style, not sure if they are any more.
post #3104 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

laugh.gif

No, seriously, I know whether it happens or not impacts the flesh I just don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

For a while people were really into killing fish Japanese style, not sure if they are any more.
i haven't done work on it recently, so i'm going off the top of my bald head. there are two interlinked issues: postharvest handling and rigor mortis. how the fish is handled immediately after it is caught (killed, bled, iced, etc). is crucial to quality for reasons i can't quite remember right now. so much so that one of the most knowledgeable seafood guys i know prefers (brace yourself matt, you're going to cringe) "artisanally frozen" salmon to all but the very best fresh. there's this guy called bruce gore out of seattle who pioneered this ... the salmon is caught hook-and-line, bled and frozen immediately with repeated glazings. stuff rocks, but it's gotta be done one fish at a time and it's not inexpensive.

rigor is slightly different. how the fish is handled after catch will affect when and how quickly the fish will go through rigor. it's all enzymatic stuff. as i said, i haven't done work on it recently, so i can't give cites, but you can demonstrate the difference for yourself by sauteeing a life-tank catfish fillet alongside a well-handled regular one. the live-tank fillet will have a tough, tight texture and an almost cottony mouthfeel (results are different for gentle cooking such as steaming).
post #3105 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post


i haven't done work on it recently, so i'm going off the top of my bald head. there are two interlinked issues: postharvest handling and rigor mortis. how the fish is handled immediately after it is caught (killed, bled, iced, etc). is crucial to quality for reasons i can't quite remember right now. so much so that one of the most knowledgeable seafood guys i know prefers (brace yourself matt, you're going to cringe) "artisanally frozen" salmon to all but the very best fresh. there's this guy called bruce gore out of seattle who pioneered this ... the salmon is caught hook-and-line, bled and frozen immediately with repeated glazings. stuff rocks, but it's gotta be done one fish at a time and it's not inexpensive.

rigor is slightly different. how the fish is handled after catch will affect when and how quickly the fish will go through rigor. it's all enzymatic stuff. as i said, i haven't done work on it recently, so i can't give cites, but you can demonstrate the difference for yourself by sauteeing a life-tank catfish fillet alongside a well-handled regular one. the live-tank fillet will have a tough, tight texture and an almost cottony mouthfeel (results are different for gentle cooking such as steaming).

I don't doubt frozen is the best. I know that for foie gras, fast freezing gives a much better product than fresh. Not sure if it is artisanal though. That is probably an important thing. At least for menu writing purposes. I am lucky that when I want fish I go through people who are really competent, and, even better, very close to my house. You know them and I think you'd agree that not only are they quite excellent, but that the most important thing in buying fish is being able to trust that the people from whom you buy are rigorous (haha) about quality and about handling.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place porn thread.