• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique Coat Fit

pred02

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a wool overcoat to use as a workhorse coat to wear over a suit for work. It is a basic navy coat I bought in London, size small, however it still fills a little bit big. It is perhaps because I have a very fitted Jagear coat that is too small to wear with a suit.

Or perhaps I am used to more fitted styling here in Europe. The shoulders feel like they fit all right but it maybe a bit loose around the waist. Or this model is not fitted. I am happy with the weight, the color, the length (to the knee).

The photos are with the suit jacket on.

coat1.jpg

coat2.jpg

coat3.jpg

Thanks,

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics, but at least the shoulders seem a bit overextended.

pred02

Reaction score
Ahhh, conflict - one yay, one nay... I need to know to return the coat asap! Maybe something tailor an fix???

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Shoulders look huge. Is it the camera angle or do you have one hell of a dropped left shoulder? In that one pic you look almost like a zombie dragging a leg around.

twistoffat

Reaction score
Its too wide and untailored. I´d change it for a smaller size

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pred02
Ahhh, conflict - one yay, one nay... I need to know to return the coat asap! Maybe something tailor an fix???

Well, it can certainly look a lot better. And to be honest, your pictures aren't that high quality so I can't tell for certain.

Try the smaller size, if it fits, I'd go with that one. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. Personally if I paid a large amount of $$$, I would return it. If I paid $40, I'd keep it and tailor it.

However, now that the other people have pointed out the left shoulder, it does look off. Even though this is an overcoat which is supposed to go over your suit jacket.

jabreal00

Reaction score
It's hard to tell. The quality of the pic is not the greatest. I'd say the sleeve may be a tad too long. It also looks like it may need to be taken in at the sides.

pred02

Reaction score
I have returned it. Does anyone know which designers - available in London due a tailored fit for the overcoats?

Thanks

pred02

Reaction score
Hi,
I failed last season to find a decent slim fitting wool/cashmere overcoat to wear over a suit. As the new cold weather season is approaching - I am looking for advice & recommendations on any overcoats.

Thanks

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have returned it. Does anyone know which designers - available in London due a tailored fit for the overcoats?

Thanks
It might help if you mentioned what size you are, what size the coat in your pics is, and how much you want to spend. If you're chest is less than 36" then you're out of luck. Otherwise, there's countless places at all price-points that sell suitable coats.

pred02

Reaction score
Budget around £300, I'm about 36 chest. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads