• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do most cupcakes suck?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the cupcake thing. Most of them really suck. I've had them at many specialty bakeries and they don't taste like good cake or a good muffin.

The best cupcake I've had is at the Cafe at the Driskill Hotel in Austin. I just had another cupcake brought to me and I threw it out after a bite.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had some pretty amazing cupcakes in my day.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
they don't need to be good. You just need to make them oversized, give them whimisical flavor names, hire a "hip" sales staff, and you've got a winning formula selling to all of the lame recent college grads who still cherish Natural Light as an acceptable beverage. To them, a $5 "chocolate lava bliss cupcake" is a luxury item indicative of them now being in "the big city"

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
they don't need to be good. You just need to make them oversized, give them whimisical flavor names, hire a "hip" sales staff, and you've got a winning formula selling to all of the lame recent college grads who still cherish Natural Light as an acceptable beverage. To them, a $5 "chocolate lava bliss cupcake" is a luxury item indicative of them now being in "the big city"

In Chicago, they're sold more often to people your age, mostly women, who think that going to that hot cupcake joint will not only make them seem like hip 25 year olds again, but that it's okay to sneak in a cupcake of 8 a week because they're special.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
totally ******* agree. It's not rocket science - its plain cake topped with frosting. What's the appeal? I've been to Magnolia in since 2004, Sprinkles, etc... I'm much more impressed by a good bagel.

Lets break it down.

Cake: does anyone make superb cake? If so, do you expect a cupcake shop run by two 30-yr-old lesbian home-trained cooks to be able to do the same? no.

Frosting: yes you can make stupid rich frosting with a ton of butter, real fruit, real sugar, etc. big ******* deal.

Combining mediocre cake with super rich frosting - sure I guess, this is a good business model to sell these things at $3.50 each.

It's ******* obvious why every middle-aged privileged white woman without any other marketable skill is trying to move in on this business. Need to afford teh Beamerz with no husband yet

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
In Chicago, they're sold more often to people your age, mostly women, who think that going to that hot cupcake joint will not only make them seem like hip 25 year olds again, but that it's okay to sneak in a cupcake of 8 a week because they're special.

I'm not old tho
frown.gif

the demographic you describe is the same for NYC, the olders ones just don't extoll it like the the recent colleg grads who are all "CRUMBS omaigod"

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Macrina Bakery in Seattle sells the only cupcake I like, but it has a filling and is not fluffy like most.

2081900861_7f5d53e0a6.jpg

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I'm not old tho
frown.gif

the demographic you describe is the same for NYC, the olders ones just don't extoll it like the the recent colleg grads who are all "CRUMBS omaigod"

I know you're not old, I was talking age bracket 28-32.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on this new boutique cupcake fad, wtf.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cupcakes are the chihuahuas of food. girls think they look cuter when they're holding them.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
cupcakes are the chihuahuas of food. girls think they look cuter when they're holding them.

If they're holding one I guess it's acceptable. Six-at-a-go ain't working for me, though.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
The cupcake fad may indeed suck on many levels. But without it, I would have never tried a red velvet with cream cheese frosting. So I'm not complaining.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
The cupcake fad may indeed suck on many levels. But without it, I would have never tried a red velvet with cream cheese frosting. So I'm not complaining.

too funny. our family just had a dinner celebrating 3 birthdays and we celebrated with ... red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting from our local diner. i will argue that when made properly, the cupcake does offer the perfect cake/frosting ratio.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
actually, I really like a good cupcake. There is a bakery a few blocks away from me that makes some great stuff. The problem is they're **** at most places, and especially **** at all of the "boutique" (translation: chain) places like Crumbs and Magnolia

adidasfan

Reaction score
I never liked cupcakes but have tried hundreds until I discovered
the organic cupcakes (ive tried them a few places) and they are to die for.

Organic Red Velvet Cupcakes are amazing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics