• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caring about clothes = high school?

aspriel

Reaction score
So a couple friends and I were sitting at the lunch table in the cafeteria (college, not HS) today talking about clothing stores on Michigan Avenue, namely Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom. A guy that we didn't even know overhears our conversation and says "You know, you can get all that stuff on eBay for like.... 5 bucks."

We both inform him these goods (especially in the case of designer jeans, RL, Lacoste, etc.) are almost all fake. He scoffs and says "Well, whatever, why would I care if my overpriced bullshit isn't real[/b]? I guess I never graduated from high school, if I have to care about what brands of clothes I wear." (Probably directed at me.)

This guy, of course, was wearing a Puma hat and American Eagle coat.

Thoughts?

terminat

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, I wouldnt say that almost all ebay goods were fake - BNWTs are usually fine, but then again they cost far more than 5 bucks.

To be honest, the guy was probably a bit jealous and maybe trying to be some kind of inverse snob - by pretending that he was above the "shallowness" (not that I think that, but some people do) of caring about your clothes. Since designer brands might be well out of his price range, his reaction is to turn a negative into positive through skewed logic - by self-deludedly making himself out to be too cool/confident to care about clothes.

aspriel

Reaction score
Almost all RL/Lacoste goods are fake, and don't crucify me, but a very large portion of Diesels are fake (especially the sub-100$ ones.)

terminat

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost all RL/Lacoste goods are fake, and don't crucify me, but a very large portion of Diesels are fake (especially the sub-100$ ones.)
Well I've never bought any Diesels myself, however I have bought a pair of genuine Ralph Laurens on there before (I know they're genuine because the detailing exactly matched my other pairs from store, and they came with the holographic tags) but that was after wading through tons of fakes with tacky RL logos imprinted on them. Buying any clothes without the original tags would be a huge mistake, so I agree with you there.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspriel
That's a very stereotypical statement. What about the Diesel's bought @ OffSaks and sold on eBay for more? (aka, I just did that.)

Max

Reaction score
Fit, style, and construction are more important than brand so I guess he's got a point.

aspriel

Reaction score
knucks: For RL/Lacoste - you have to wade through tons of "lots" where they are mass produced and sometimes shipped from Asia and come in an authentic poly bag and with tags - but are completely fake.

For Diesels - I'm betting you didn't sell them for 50 bucks. There are definitely real Diesels on eBay, and the real ones, you can get people to post good pics and close up pics of the tags - they're much easier to pick out.

Rule of thumb for both: Stock store pictures from Nordstrom.com or whatever? Probably fake. Refusal to take pics (camera "broken" or whatever)? Fake. Seller is selling "lots?" Fake. Seller is selling "any color you want?" Fake. Seller is selling the most popular sizes/colors/washes (such as a seller I saw selling $50 jeans - Zathan 772, ZAF 796, and a few X-Rotucks - and that's IT.) Probably fake.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a 3 button Armani White Label Blazer (collezioni line) that was used 1 year old model, but in perfect shape, on ebay (under $60). They had a bunch of pictures of it including all tags and what not. They sent me the wrong jacket (I recived a 1 button Mani Jacket, it was real but after I returned the jacket I never recieved my correct one. They did refund my money though)

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On topic, who cared about brands in high school? I wore some hilarious **** in high school. Cords, docs, plaid flannel, tie?
crazy.gif
Bands, on the other hand
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

styleoasis

Reaction score
<= See the username? Hey, I care about fashion in high school.

Granted, I'm not like some of the members of this forum who will wear a suit just for the fun of it, but I don't hate dressing up nor dress in "whatever's comfortable" either. I'm quite proud of myself for achieving all this in Maine, too.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** In Highschool I wore UFO brand Phat Pants (think synthetic material and around 40&quot; round in each leg) and bright T-Shirts. Even wore plastic beaded bracelets, glow sticks, etc. I was a raver fo sho. I had some pants that were expensive as hell but they were Kahki with a crotch that dropped to my knees and were about 50&quot; round in the legs. People would always think I was wearing Skirts.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by styleoasis
<= See the username? Hey, I care about fashion in high school.

Granted, I'm not like some of the members of this forum who will wear a suit just for the fun of it, but I don't hate dressing up nor dress in "whatever's comfortable" either. I'm quite proud of myself for achieving all this in Maine, too.

i feel like its so fruitless in highschool anyways as does anyone really care in highschool about anything other than beer and trying to get laid?

i wore whatever my mom bought me in highschool, or was handed down from my bro, never had the money to buy "good fashionable clothes", just my playstation games

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i feel like its so fruitless in highschool anyways as does anyone really care in highschool about anything other than beer and trying to get laid?

i wore whatever my mom bought me in highschool, or was handed down from my bro, never had the money to buy "good fashionable clothes", just my playstation games

Wait, does this mean I have to stop caring about beer and trying to get laid?
eek.gif

aspriel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
Wait, does this mean I have to stop caring about beer and trying to get laid?
eek.gif

That would be a sad day indeed.

Lamo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock

i dunno, when i was in high school, i didn't give a **** about clothes. I don't think anyone minds high-schoolers dressing poorly. Getting decent grades are probably more important than worrying about your appearance. All I did with my allowance was upgrade my computer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads