or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Caring about clothes = high school?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Caring about clothes = high school? - Page 2

post #16 of 52
seriosuly. when i was in high school i wore 10 hole docs, band tshirt and levis daily. I thought "brand name" clothes were lame...and look at the clothes whore I became so don't be in such a rush to be geared up, there's plenty of time for that. getting laid is definitely a bigger priority than dressing well at that age. but i do notice on the GQforum how many high school age guys are all up into $$$$Dior Homme, Cloak etc. unfuckin real.
post #17 of 52
I don't think that's a very logical way to look at things as a person's maturity isn't discernable by their area of interests but by how they approach them. I'd also say that people that are just out of their teen years are often very quick to dismiss topics/things that they link to this period of their life as a way of affirming their newfound maturity/adulthood/grownupedness, they'll wise up as they mature...
post #18 of 52
I cared about fashion in high school, not style. Which explains some of my fashion disasters from that era.
post #19 of 52
I've always been conscious of style since about preschool.

In high school I especially liked the Japanese designers and Gucci.
post #20 of 52
i cared about my style but not fashion in highschool. But i mean what can i say i was a skater/prep type of guy. no one really cared what you rocked as long as you didnt lookk like you just came out of a walmart.
post #21 of 52
When I was in high school, I cared much more for labels than I do now. Not really RL, Lacoste type brands and less the labels than the designs and fashions. My friends' usual haunts were very close to the various shopping areas where I lived, and it was natural in that environment to care. There was nowhere else to shop. When I came to college, I became much more indifferent, in part because there weren't many inspiring boutiques around, because my tastes changed somewhat, and because there's no compelling reason for me to wear clothes that don't fit the way I like.
post #22 of 52
I was into clothes ever since middle school but ive changed my perception of good clothing over the years. In the beginning of middle school i was obsessed with tommy hilfiger, abercrombie, nautica and guessand brands such as that

in high school i started wearing polo lacoste, gant, ax, fcuk, n diesel

in college ive become obsessed wiht brands such as dior homme, cloak, varvatos, etro, prada, prps, rag and bone, nudie, acne, w+h , loopwheeler, pbj

i think my obsessions just matured over the years
post #23 of 52
i think highschool kids care about clothes, but in a different way than we do. its more about the labels and the look of the group they are trying to associate themselves with then how the clothes fit, construction, etc...

so yeah... in a way i can understand the OP.... to someone who doesnt care about clothes it would seem they are just talking brands, and that does seem to be a childish thing if there is nothing associated with that brand but the brand itself.
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
i think highschool kids care about clothes, but in a different way than we do. its more about the labels and the look of the group they are trying to associate themselves with then how the clothes fit, construction, etc...

so yeah... in a way i can understand the OP.... to someone who doesnt care about clothes it would seem they are just talking brands, and that does seem to be a childish thing if there is nothing associated with that brand but the brand itself.

I agree with you on this one. At my college we offer classes to HS kids that want to get college credits and skip HS classes. Anyways I have about 20 kids in my English class. One day I mentioned that I am deep into style and started mentioning different things. God damn kids more or less sneered at me becase I mentioned some high end brands but nothing like "Abercrombie" or American Eagle
post #25 of 52
Quote:
I cared about fashion in high school, not style. Which explains some of my fashion disasters from that era.
+1
I wore tie dye shirts and handmade patchwork cord shorts in high school. shows what being a high school stoner will do to you
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboycom
God damn kids more or less sneered at me becase I mentioned some high end brands but nothing like "Abercrombie" or American Eagle
I don't see how you have any choice but to teach them an object lesson by sexing their mothers.
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin
I don't see how you have any choice but to teach them an object lesson by sexing their mothers.

hahaha, good plan. Actually I probably could do it if i really wanted to . I was at a bar in a local college town a few months ago. I dressed as I normally do when I go out (slim fit button up, dark denim) and while waiting in line at the bar a woman (who had to be old enough to be my mother, so like 40s) walked up to me looked at my partially unbuttoned shirt, and proceded to rip it open. I was like "FULLY SHIT!" She then looked at me and then walked away. She did it again later that night, No shit.

Funny thing was all of the college students my age wouldnt give me the time of day. That and the bar was TERRIBLE! The bartender girl SALTED the rim of my coctail glass... for a Cosmo for christ's sake. That and they used cheap ass liquor.
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboycom View Post
I agree with you on this one. At my college we offer classes to HS kids that want to get college credits and skip HS classes. Anyways I have about 20 kids in my English class. One day I mentioned that I am deep into style and started mentioning different things. God damn kids more or less sneered at me becase I mentioned some high end brands but nothing like "Abercrombie" or American Eagle

The bolded portion is a douche move. I am supposedly "deep into style" as well so I should theoretically be sympathetic, but I also would have sneered. There's absolutely no reason to mention your own clothes. If you really are stylish, you will get looks and people will ask about your clothes unprompted.
post #29 of 52
You for realz? Calling people out about shit 2 years ago? C'mon, man. Did he pee in your soup or something? Let it go.
post #30 of 52
In high school I almost exclusively wore Levis / Carharts, band t-shirts, Vans' Authentics and Old Schools. I only cared about girls, bands, and fun. No care ever about clothes. Now, I'll be 30 in a few months, have a wife, own a home, and have a career. I spend half of my day obsessing over halves of inches in the fit of my clothes. Caring about clothes, definitely not high school. Shouldn't even be in college. No offense to the younger set but, most of the time, even in WAYWN, the under 21 set looks costume-y when they try to take their wardrobe too seriously. "You're only young once -- so do it riiiiiiight"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Caring about clothes = high school?