or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Watch poll
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watch poll

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I think that you left out some of the top choices: Patek Phillipe (personal favorite) Omega Cartier Buliva Brietling
post #2 of 22
Yes, I did and I realized it right after I looked at the watch I am wearing right now (it's an Omega; I seem to favor my sector, omega, and tag). I wonder if you can delete posts that you have made...I have not been able to figure out how, if you can, as of yet. If you know or if I figure it out, I will delete and create a new one with the top choices included.
post #3 of 22
patek phillipe, cartier and omega are my 3 favorites in that order. Of course i can't quite afford a patek at this early stage in my life =/
post #4 of 22
A Patek would obvioulsly be everyones favorite, but what about sport watches. The only watch i have is a Tag 6000 chronograph, however i think the Breitling Navitimer is outrageous. Even though its less expensive than the rolex sport watches i would certainly choose the Breitling, its such a classy watch. Did you ever see someone with it on? It just looks incredible. I'd say its my favorite watch out there now.
post #5 of 22
I'm really not a fan of breitling. I mean.. I'm not a pilot, i'm not a diver and I'm not going to the moon in this lifetime, so I really dont need all the "stuff" they have on the dials. They're just too busy for my taste. Tag definitely makes the nicest sports watches though. The Tag 6000 line is nice, as are some of the kiriums. My favorite within the 6000 line is the Automatic (I love the dial), but they're all pretty nice. Still i think my next watch is going to be the Omega DeVille Prestige with the yellow gold case, silver dial and leather strap. It's an absolutely beautiful watch.
post #6 of 22
The ultimate sport watch is and always will be the Rolex Stainless Daytona. It's manly, luxurious, and sporty all at once. It's lost a bit of cache since they flooded the market, but it's still to expensive to ever be common.

http://www.tic-tock.com/wingates/watch-detail/32822

I can't say I've ever been a fan of Breitlings. There are some decent looking Omegas, but if I weren't going to pick the Daytona, I'd go for a Zenith or a UN...maybe a GMT.
http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=3108
http://www.tic-tock.com/wingates/watch-detail/17374

In the lower price range (closer to my range....I wear an Oris Worldtimer), there's the Oris TT1 or F1 or the Gerrard Perrigreux (I know I didn't spell that right) Ferrari line.

http://oris.watchfinder.co.uk/oris_w..._84/m3996.aspx
http://www.bernardwatch.com/Girard-Perregaux/Ferrari
post #7 of 22
Quote:
The ultimate sport watch is and always will be the Rolex Stainless Daytona.

True but the Submariner has to be up there as well.
post #8 of 22
I like Patek and Girard
post #9 of 22
I like the flamboyant watches Audemars Piguet did in the '50s.
post #10 of 22
Holy old thread revival batman!!! This has to be a record? Almost 5 dormant years?

(I like my Omega Constellation Chronograph. Only ever seen one other in person).
post #11 of 22
I like JLC.
post #12 of 22
thats a great looking AP, LK. What do you think something like that would fetch on the market today?

I think the great thing about many vintage watches is the values that can be had, when compared to their current counterparts. Though, sometimes that is not the case - as with rare models that appreciate highly over time. I think also with certain makers, the quality was higher back in the 40's and the 60's than what it is today, even though technology has progressed a lot.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMan
thats a great looking AP, LK. What do you think something like that would fetch on the market today? I think the great thing about many vintage watches is the values that can be had, when compared to their current counterparts. Though, sometimes that is not the case - as with rare models that appreciate highly over time. I think also with certain makers, the quality was higher back in the 40's and the 60's than what it is today, even though technology has progressed a lot.
Fortunately--or maybe unfortunately--those interesting APs aren't too expensive, usually under $10,000 or even less. I just don't think there is enough of a demand for some of the more eccentric designs despite the very high quality and value of materials. Unless it's something hideously inflated like Patek Philippe, most vintage watches--barring the vintage Rolex chronographs and such--are quite a good value. The pocket watches are the best value for the quality. Quality was certainly higher given the fact that all of these things utilized a lot of hand-work whereas today a comparably made watch is manufactured via a computer/digital device so I think there's an inherent value of quality in the older pieces.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Fortunately--or maybe unfortunately--those interesting APs aren't too expensive, usually under $10,000 or even less.

I just don't think there is enough of a demand for some of the more eccentric designs despite the very high quality and value of materials.

Unless it's something hideously inflated like Patek Philippe, most vintage watches--barring the vintage Rolex chronographs and such--are quite a good value. The pocket watches are the best value for the quality.

Quality was certainly higher given the fact that all of these things utilized a lot of hand-work whereas today a comparably made watch is manufactured via a computer/digital device so I think there's an inherent value of quality in the older pieces.

I just finished reading this article that someone PMed me elsewhere. Your last point inspired me to post it.

Roger W. Smith.
post #15 of 22
I'm beginning to like the look of historic models of Oficine Panerai, the Luminor and the Radiomir.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Watch poll