or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds for Brooks Brothers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds for Brooks Brothers - Page 4

post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaogou View Post
I know for a fact. A local retailer of AE ordered some shell for me. They had no experience with it. When I saw the PO, it said $236.50 from AE. Retail is $525. I paid $236.50. There is a reason I have 2 pairs of Leeds in burgundy, 1 macNeil in burgundy, 1 black, 1 Cambridge in burgundy. All of them are shell cordovan. I hooked a couple of people here up too.
Epic fail on their part. Props to you for recognizing it and making the most of it
post #47 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhiker View Post
That's a bummer for that retailer. You bought all those shoes at cost??

Sure did. Found out when they called me to say an order was in. I always ask how much I owe. When they said $525, I knew the gig was up.
post #48 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post
I'm not sure what a "cushioned footbed" is, but it sounds like a description of a cheap fabric insole, as opposed to a legitimate leather insole, which in my mind would actually lower the value of the shoe.

Does anybody have information on what constitutes a "cushioned footbed?"

I agree that it looks a little cheaper. These cushions sell for 50 cents or so:
http://www.algeos.com/acatalog/Poron...e_Backing.html

Also, is the the shoe recraftable with the different soles?
post #49 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
I agree that it looks a little cheaper. These cushions sell for 50 cents or so:
http://www.algeos.com/acatalog/Poron...e_Backing.html

Also, is the the shoe recraftable with the different soles?

Insole doesn't affect recraftability.
post #50 of 76
I stopped-in Brooks's store at 346 Madison.

I spoke to a shoe salesman, and he told me that the AE shoes are being offered in addition to the regular Alden line.

The AE shoes looked like the ordinary AE stuff. Nothing to get excited about. Perhaps AE is being offered as a lower price point for the young customer and customers who find the Alden price a bit of a strain?
post #51 of 76
To me AE makes sense for both
BB gets better margin
Alden doesn't have to overwork on a line that isn't what they're known for and not their most profitable line (i.e. people buy Alden for Shell)

BB's volume probably have top Alden's capacity as well, Alden probably saw Shell as their real butter (though indeed quite a niche that can disappear any time)

I don't have a problem with the new sole per se. The reality is probably most customer will never resole their shoe, and with that sole the shoe will probably take a bit more beating before people just throw it out. Though I am curious to know if you can resole it.
post #52 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
To me AE makes sense for both
BB gets better margin
Alden doesn't have to overwork on a line that isn't what they're known for and not their most profitable line (i.e. people buy Alden for Shell)

BB's volume probably have top Alden's capacity as well, Alden probably saw Shell as their real butter (though indeed quite a niche that can disappear any time)

I don't have a problem with the new sole per se. The reality is probably most customer will never resole their shoe, and with that sole the shoe will probably take a bit more beating before people just throw it out. Though I am curious to know if you can resole it.

Why not? I imagine that AE would recraft them for you.
post #53 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman View Post
I stopped-in Brooks's store at 346 Madison.

I spoke to a shoe salesman, and he told me that the AE shoes are being offered in addition to the regular Alden line.

The AE shoes looked like the ordinary AE stuff. Nothing to get excited about. Perhaps AE is being offered as a lower price point for the young customer and customers who find the Alden price a bit of a strain?

Had a similar experience at the South Coast Brooks Brothers last night. The sales associate told me Brooks is adding only about five A-E-made styles to the lineup, but Alden will continue making shoes for Brooks. Clearly, there is no "divorce" between BB and Alden. However, he was oblivious to the reports that EG will be making shoes for Brooks once again.
post #54 of 76
the more the merrier
post #55 of 76
Thread Starter 
I wonder what happened to the shoes. They disappeared from the website last week.
post #56 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs View Post
I wonder what happened to the shoes. They disappeared from the website last week.

They probably pulled them in advance of the 25% corporate sale.
post #57 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
They probably pulled them in advance of the 25% corporate sale.

But they kept the shell cordovan
post #58 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
They probably pulled them in advance of the 25% corporate sale.

I was in a BB's the other night and asked about the shoes. Salesman told me BB recalled them, including the pair he'd purchased for himself. Didn't have any details, just said they told him there was a problem with the AE shoes and they had to go back.
post #59 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylego View Post
I was in a BB's the other night and asked about the shoes. Salesman told me BB recalled them, including the pair he'd purchased for himself. Didn't have any details, just said they told him there was a problem with the AE shoes and they had to go back.
oh wow. Seconds anyone?
post #60 of 76
I actually emailed them (AE) about any BB seconds that may be forthcoming. I haven't heard back but am wondering if AE would be allowed to sell any seconds with the BB markings on them. Same for the Ralph Lauren shoes they are making. ??? I like the Strand and 5th Ave BB copies. Poron footbed (heelpad) for comfort and the stitched in topy for more grip. Will be great on sale (or better as seconds).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds for Brooks Brothers