or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Why We Get Fat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why We Get Fat - Page 6

post #76 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post
they might have better levels of triglyceride and higher HDL, but they're still fatter than the danish (your typical industrialized nation)

I'm not entirely sure they are living a low carb lifestyle as the Inuit aren't living the traditional lifestyle anymore and it's references to their actual diet are pretty vague.

You also have to remember that BMI is a crappy indicator to compare accross population and Inuit populations tend to be built stocky, inflating their BMI compared to other populations. Would be better if the study actually gave measures of percent body fat.
post #77 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbel View Post
Oh right, forgot this was the Internet, we all have single digit bf.
post #78 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post
wow dude seriously? so its ok for you to say you have single digit bf and its not ok for him to say it because it disproves your point?

It was obviously stupid of me to say, since again, this is the Internet.
post #79 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
Tell me your shoe size though...

Ha...I have indeed been buying some shoes.
post #80 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
I know it's hard to believe that someone who takes an interest in diet and training, and is obviously better at it than you, could be sub 10%, but it can happen.



but wtf are you on about here?

And you base this off what?
post #81 of 255
^

the first point the paper somewhat covered

your second point the paper has covered

Quote:
Living conditions are considerably different in Greenland and Denmark. However, differences in physical activity, smoking habits, and alcohol consumption could not explain the findings in our study. There may be other important environmental factors that influence the pattern of obesity. Owing to the differences in the questionnaires used, we were unable to analyse the impact of diet and socioeconomic status on obesity and metabolic risk factors in the two popu-lations. Especially the traditional Greenlandic diet, which is rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, is suggested to contribute to the favourable cardiovascular risk profile.7

An alternative explanation is that anthropometrical measurements such as BMI, WHR, and waist circumference do not reflect the same amount of fat or the same pattern of fat distribution in different populations. It is well established that there are differences in the relationship between body fat and BMI in different populations.20,21,22 These differences may be due to differences in body composition, as well as differences in energy intake and physical activity. Indeed, excess abdominal fat is more important as a cardiovascular risk factor than excess body fat per se.23,24 There is not much information about the relationship between intra-abdominal adipose tissue and anthropometrical measurements, such as waist circumference and WHR, in different populations. Epidemiological studies have mainly used the WHR to estimate the proportion of abdominal adipose tissue.25 However, magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography showed that a simple measurement such as waist circumference is the best anthropometric correlate of the amount of visceral adipose tissue.26 This has led to the inclusion of waist circumference as the only obesity criteria in a newly suggested definition of the metabolic syndrome.27

The WHO has defined critical waist circumference values of 102 cm for men and 88 cm for women.25 However, the WHO waist approach has been developed in white men and women,23 and its impact on metabolic factors should not uncritically be extrapolated to other ethnic groups. In a previous study of the same population, we defined the cutpoints for large waist circumferences as the 90% percentile for slim persons, that is, persons with a BMI below 23 kg/m2. The cutpoints for high waist circumference were >86 cm (men) and >80 cm (women).8 However, for the present interethnic comparison, we chose the WHO guidelines.
post #82 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbel View Post
.
Let's stay on-topic guys. This is a useful topic.
post #83 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbel View Post
And you base this off what?
this threak. and i realized what you were on about.
post #84 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post
^

the first point the paper somewhat covered

your second point the paper has covered

So the paper agrees that they are a problematic example for the point you were trying to make?
post #85 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
this threak. and i realized what you were on about.
I put only so much into what any so called nutritional professionals say- at the end of the day I have to go by what my body tells me. I've done the whole eat moderately, low fat, etc...I did it for years and had great results. However, I was always hungry, counting calories, weighing food, and it sucked living for cheat days. Im over that- I eat ridiculous amounts, and stay lean and strong.
post #86 of 255
^in the end i think this is what matters. what works for you or not. but to say things like fat is caused by carbs, fat is caused by fat, and then ignore critical sentiments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78 View Post
So the paper agrees that they are a problematic example for the point you were trying to make?
yes and no? you said BMI is a bad measure, but the paper also measure waist to hip and waist circumference, which is a decent estimate (definitely better than bmi). the diet issue was iffy and not fully isolated (which they admit), but if a so called western diet is becoming more prevalent throughout both countries why are the greenland inuits fatter in general if not for the influence of their traditional diet? in this paper http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v2...82a.html#bib18 they argue that modernization caused lower proportion of obese people. far from conclusive (i mean cause and effect from epidemiological survey is pretty difficult to ascertain), but i would think if a low carb diet was the end all of body fat melting solutions the inuits would have an upper hand.
post #87 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbel View Post
I put only so much into what any so called nutritional professionals say- at the end of the day I have to go by what my body tells me. I've done the whole eat moderately, low fat, etc...I did it for years and had great results. However, I was always hungry, counting calories, weighing food, and it sucked living for cheat days. Im over that- I eat ridiculous amounts, and stay lean and strong.

Were you eating 6 meals/day like all the good broscientists preach? I did that shit for years and was always starving.
post #88 of 255
Shibbel, You do realize you're arguing with an idiot who hasn't even read the book you're discussing?
post #89 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post
far from conclusive (i mean cause and effect from epidemiological survey is pretty difficult to ascertain), but i would think if a low carb diet was the end all of body fat melting solutions the inuits would have an upper hand.

That would be true if it was actually established that they were truly eating a low carb diet:

The following quote could be used to suggest that carbs are part of the problem (I don't think it truly shows that, I just think these studies are far from clear on any of the points your trying to make).
Quote:
Inuit heritage and consumption of fruit were associated with high waist and hip circumferences among men.


Keep in mind it's also problematic extrapolating from a unique population that may have specific adaptations from their ancestors who lived in an environment that was in fact low carb and highly cold stressed to the rest of the world.
post #90 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
Shibbel, You do realize you're arguing with an idiot who hasn't even read the book you're discussing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Why We Get Fat