or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Why We Get Fat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why We Get Fat - Page 17

post #241 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
If you want to talk about kidney stones (etc), fine, but throwing this "zomg no diet soda or you won't lose weight" stuff around is dumb.

I know that other guy did, but I never said nor believe that it has anything strictly to do with weight loss. I was simply challenging your assertion that "soda has the acidity of a tomato" so therefor it's "fine" or whatever with no volume considerations. People routinely drink 60 oz diets and I used to drink multiple a day. I have no clue how many tomatoes that would be but I would bet it's another irrational number.

Dr. Oz clip, pretty bad.
post #242 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post
Let's put it this way. Once I eliminated the breads and other starches, the inches started to come off my stomach pretty easily. It became much easier to build the body I wanted once I stopped including bread and other grains in my meals. Doing so made me incorporate vegetables, good fats and more protein.

I didn't say everyone should eliminate all bread and grains from their diet. I actually mentioned in a post on this page that some bread here or there isn't an awful thing. But the benefits of grains are overstated and the pluses you get from them (i.e. fiber) are available in foods such as vegetables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post
So, you failed at knowing how to build a well-rounded diet, but it's grains' fault and not yours?

Thanks for proving my point. Don't put your personal failures and suckage at knowing how to develop healthy meals on a food group.
post #243 of 255
How did I prove your point? By your logic, I'm still not eating a "well-rounded" diet because I've all but cut grains entirely out of my diet. My "personal failure" was due in large part to eating too many carbs. Looking at my logs, it's clear that the vast majority of those carbs each day came from grains. I cut those out and my overall carb intake decreased significantly, as did my waist line. Magic. Edit: I think it's going to vary from person to person with regards to how someone's body tolerates grains. I spent many years often feeling bloated and had digestive issues. Those issues pretty much disappeared once I stopped eating grains. Not everyone is like that, but after talking about it with other people who have also cut down or cut out the grains entirely, I'm definitely not alone here.
post #244 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post
.

Edit: I think it's going to vary from person to person with regards to how someone's body tolerates grains. I spent many years often feeling bloated and had digestive issues. Those issues pretty much disappeared once I stopped eating grains. Not everyone is like that, but after talking about it with other people who have also cut down or cut out the grains entirely, I'm definitely not alone here.

Exactly. When I first cut grains, I dropped 10lbs in two weeks. My weight has remained consistent since.
post #245 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post
I know that other guy did, but I never said nor believe that it has anything strictly to do with weight loss. I was simply challenging your assertion that "soda has the acidity of a tomato" so therefor it's "fine" or whatever with no volume considerations. People routinely drink 60 oz diets and I used to drink multiple a day. I have no clue how many tomatoes that would be but I would bet it's another irrational number.

Take my argument in context, I'm saying that acid is not some bogeyman. I'm using the tomato comparison to note that we eat lots of acidic stuff. The human body is pretty capable of dealing with acid. There's a bunch of really strong acid in our stomach, and it's buffered to prevent pH changes quite effectively. Adding a bit more really doesn't do much of anything. Soda's mostly water, so even drinking fairly vast amounts is not going to have any real effect on pH levels. Maybe if you slammed back a couple gallons in a sitting, but who does that? The effect over a day is going to be even more minimal.
post #246 of 255
two awesome reasons to be fat.
post #247 of 255
Tired of talking about diet soda. Just insert it down below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Humans aren't adapted to eating anything in the quantity most in the First World eat now, that's the whole point. Wretched excess is bad, be it grains or meat or whatever. Stuff your face and you'll get fat and sick. Different methods of face stuffing might result in different kinds of maladies, but none of it is good for you.
post #248 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
They have also been shown to cause leptin resistance which will worsen the effects of metabolic syndrome.

They didn't show that it causes leptin resistance, they proposed the hypothesis that it does.
post #249 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78 View Post
A lot of it comes from high infant and child mortality.

And this.
post #250 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw View Post
You get fat when you overeat and don't exercise. There, I saved you $15.

Yes, once our food intake increases and its more then the daily body requirements and we even don't to consume that food will cause the fatness.
post #251 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post
Great points. Diets like this are not sustainable over the world as a whole. Grains and rice are needed to help combat world hunger. Almost makes me want to bring up the whole related fallacy of the anti-GM movement, but I will resist.

I think it's important to bring up the point, again, that the whole premise of the Paleo (caveman) diet is false. During the Paleolithic era they ate grains! Even if we ignore this fact and pretend they did not, then you still have other fallacies to combat. People were lean because they were starving the majority of time, not because of the types of food they ate. Life was harsh and food often hard to come by. They also had a life expectancy of around 30 years, compared to modern, processed grain eating, humans which is much longer.

The attitude that we should model our diets after our ancestors who lived during the Paleolithic era is absurd.

i think most of the science behind paleo is quackery but i still eat what is close to a paleo diet (i eat some dairy) becuase it is much more nutritious. grains and sugar are the least nutritious foods per calorie.

i am fully aware that this is a first world privilage but so is driving a car and posting on an internet forum about bespoke clothes
post #252 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opermann View Post
It could also be named, Why We Get Sick...

We don't exercise enough
Everything at the supermarket is processed garbage
The average person thinks fast food is fine to eat
We're hooked on prescription meds

Anything else? I don't need a book to spell it out for me.

Exactly. If you needed a book to tell you why you get fat, you haven't learned enough. Skim through a human physiology/nutrition textbook at the library
post #253 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert View Post
i think most of the science behind paleo is quackery but i still eat what is close to a paleo diet (i eat some dairy) becuase it is much more nutritious. grains and sugar are the least nutritious foods per calorie. i am fully aware that this is a first world privilage but so is driving a car and posting on an internet forum about bespoke clothes
Nice.
post #254 of 255
I just ate a grilled chicken caesar salad COVERED in dressing and a slice of pizza piled high avec veggies. I feel miserable about it.
post #255 of 255
Errr.....at least you ate veggies? Dust yourself off and get back on it. Faint heart never won fair lady and other such irrelevant motivational quotes! Two words: stomach staple.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Why We Get Fat