or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Are Doc Martens waterproof?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are Doc Martens waterproof?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I just got a pair of Doc Marten 1460s I'm wondering if it's cool to take them out into the rain? I won't be jumping in huge puddles or anything, but I live in a really rainy area and it's my first pair of nice leather boots. Do I need to treat the with something?
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pngwyn View Post
I just got a pair of Doc Marten 1460s I'm wondering if it's cool to take them out into the rain? I won't be jumping in huge puddles or anything, but I live in a really rainy area and it's my first pair of nice leather boots. Do I need to treat the with something?

what the fuck? why are you wearing doc martens?
post #3 of 15
though not technically waterproof, they should do just fine in the rain. If you feel the need you can spray them with a waterproof protectant. They still will not be waterproof, but just fine.
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
what the fuck? why are you wearing doc martens?

Why not? They're good boots for a decent price, especially if you get them on sale like I did. They're classic. I personally bought a pair for utility, like concerts (no more people stepping on my toes), my college lab classes (been through spills and currently welding), and rainy weather as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pngwyn View Post
I just got a pair of Doc Marten 1460s I'm wondering if it's cool to take them out into the rain? I won't be jumping in huge puddles or anything, but I live in a really rainy area and it's my first pair of nice leather boots. Do I need to treat the with something?

I don't live in an area like Seattle where it rains all the time, but when it came down pretty hard this winter, they held up really well. No waterproofing at all, and my socks didn't get wet either. I have the 1460s in Black Smooth Leather in case you're wondering, couldn't get myself to buy any of the logo ones.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies I just so happen to live in Seattle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
what the fuck? why are you wearing doc martens?
Well, I was looking for a nice pair of boots, and was on a budget. I heard Doc Martens were durable and I liked the way they look, so why not?
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pngwyn View Post
Thanks for the replies I just so happen to live in Seattle.



Well, I was looking for a nice pair of boots, and was on a budget. I heard Doc Martens were durable and I liked the way they look, so why not?
hey... i had mine for over 10 years, heavy wear but not so much recently, they look like this
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=227639
rain wont hurt them :-) you'll be ok
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post
hey... i had mine for over 10 years, heavy wear but not so much recently, they look like this
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=227639
rain wont hurt them :-) you'll be ok

Wow, did you treat them or do maintenance on them at all?
post #8 of 15
washed them occasionally, used some creme for first time and thats how they looked
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by *#.. View Post
Why not? They're good boots for a decent price, especially if you get them on sale like I did. They're classic. I personally bought a pair for utility, like concerts (no more people stepping on my toes), my college lab classes (been through spills and currently welding), and rainy weather as well.

cause they are hideous. truly hideous ... thats why.
post #10 of 15
I have a Made in the UK pair thats probably 20 years old and while i dont really wear them in the rain or through puddles, ive worn them through tons of snowstorms and shoveling and slush (and i live in New England so thats alot in winter), and my feet have never gotten wet
post #11 of 15
sinnedk: that's a good looking pair of docs. I think you might have just sold me a pair of MIE ones.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertorex View Post
sinnedk: that's a good looking pair of docs. I think you might have just sold me a pair of MIE ones.

no regrets here, they were like $200 back in 1999... cheaper now it seems
good luck
post #13 of 15
^^Cool, here's a few threads I found on Doc Martens if you'd like to read more on them. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=31026 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=78649
post #14 of 15
I wore them pretty much constantly when I was a student (erm... 20 yrs ago ) in Wales, which is pretty wet and they held up well. The leather never used to be great quality and would eventually crack, but for the price they're decent boots.
post #15 of 15
They're very durable boots but not 100% waterproof. I've been in extremely heavy rain with mine, and water will sometimes seep in through the seams attaching the leather to the sole. For most situations, like Seattle drizzle, you'll be fine. I use Nikwax to waterproof the leather itself, and it does help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Are Doc Martens waterproof?