Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Thoughts and opinions on Gray SC, Pocket square and tie combos........ Last post on 4/6/14 at 11:56pm in Classic Menswear
- Does this SC look dated ? New SC added on page 2 Last post on 9/5/11 at 10:37am in Classic Menswear
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- Critique this bespoke suit from Baron Lee Last post on 5/28/12 at 10:22am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions..... - Page 251post #3751 of 38825/6/14 at 4:21pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3752 of 38825/6/14 at 4:30pmpost #3753 of 38825/6/14 at 5:57pmQuote:
Thanks for the kind words. Yes you are right, most batik is cotton. However, silk is also used. The patterns and colors on silk usually look a bit sharper.
I'm certainly planning to try using cotton for PS's too. Perhaps even the textured dobby weaves that are quite common here on Java.post #3754 of 38825/6/14 at 10:45pmpost #3755 of 38825/6/14 at 10:52pmpost #3756 of 38825/11/14 at 1:10am
greetings from Sarawak EliodA. Was over in that neck of the woods a couple of weeks back, in Lombok. Also a great place for picking up some fabrics. They still do the hand woven songkets there which are pretty hard to come by. Here is one we picked up, each line woven in and out by hand. The gold thread is maybe over the top for a pocket square but excellent craftsmanship none the less.post #3757 of 38825/11/14 at 5:27amQuote:Originally Posted by piraca
greetings from Sarawak EliodA. Was over in that neck of the woods a couple of weeks back, in Lombok. Also a great place for picking up some fabrics. They still do the hand woven songkets there which are pretty hard to come by. Here is one we picked up, each line woven in and out by hand. The gold thread is maybe over the top for a pocket square but excellent craftsmanship none the less.
Hi piraca, greetings from Jakarta. That's a very nice songket, indeed. My wife is from a Batak family originally from North Sumatra, where there is a very rich heritage in all kinds of songkets etc. The fabrics are usually quite heavy though, wholly unsuited for pocket squares. Tie material perhaps?
Are you guys still making the batik pocket squares as I saw on your website?
BTW, here's another experiment from me. In the unloved (on SF) colour purplepost #3758 of 38825/11/14 at 7:04ampost #3759 of 38825/12/14 at 5:43ampost #3760 of 38825/12/14 at 5:47ampost #3761 of 38825/12/14 at 4:50pmPosting my plain combo but if someone can help me out though I know its a pocket square thread.
I recently just bought this Hugo Boss magenta pin dot tie here in Canada. Obviously being Canada the price was $110 and I know Hugo Boss doesn't have a great reputation here. Though the tie does say made in Italy.
Should I return it or keep it. I love the color and I'm a newbie at folding ties yet it created the best dimple I've ever had (this is my first 'good' tie). I feel like I should keep it because finding a quality magenta pin dot tie is pretty hard. I mean I see purple pin dot and stuff or maybe a light pink but not this.
Please ignore that I didn't cover the top button of my shirt with my tie. Rookie mistake. Keep the tie or not?post #3762 of 38825/12/14 at 5:01pmpost #3763 of 38825/13/14 at 8:27ampost #3764 of 38825/13/14 at 8:46am
That being said, as someone who has owned a dozen Hugo Boss ties in his life...and keeps a few because several are actually quite well made...that isn't worth $110 dollars in the sense that you could get something you'd probably be a lot happier with for 20-30 bucks less. If you don't find anything you like from any of these folks, then keep it. If you do, return it, because the other ties will be better (though Howard Yount is about comparable to my nicer Boss ties in terms of quality).
And if you feel inclined to buy from particularly good people, Henry Carter and Sam Hober are probably two of the best all around folks on the forum
- Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....
Styleforum Top Picks
- Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › Antonio Liverano, Florentine tailor 25 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › Best Potato Chips 3 minutes ago
- › The Architecture Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 6 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider Ocre Hive Sweater III/3/XS 6 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays