Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Thoughts and opinions on Gray SC, Pocket square and tie combos........ Last post on 4/6/14 at 11:56pm in Classic Menswear
- Does this SC look dated ? New SC added on page 2 Last post on 9/5/11 at 10:37am in Classic Menswear
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- Critique this bespoke suit from Baron Lee Last post on 5/28/12 at 10:22am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/15/15 at 5:00am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong KongLast edited: 10/1/15
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn OuterwearLast edited: 9/8/15
- Shirt Jackets: A Study in IndecisionLast edited: 9/8/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions..... - Page 251post #3751 of 40605/6/14 at 4:21pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3752 of 40605/6/14 at 4:30pmpost #3753 of 40605/6/14 at 5:57pmQuote:
Thanks for the kind words. Yes you are right, most batik is cotton. However, silk is also used. The patterns and colors on silk usually look a bit sharper.
I'm certainly planning to try using cotton for PS's too. Perhaps even the textured dobby weaves that are quite common here on Java.post #3754 of 40605/6/14 at 10:45pmpost #3755 of 40605/6/14 at 10:52pmpost #3756 of 40605/11/14 at 1:10am
greetings from Sarawak EliodA. Was over in that neck of the woods a couple of weeks back, in Lombok. Also a great place for picking up some fabrics. They still do the hand woven songkets there which are pretty hard to come by. Here is one we picked up, each line woven in and out by hand. The gold thread is maybe over the top for a pocket square but excellent craftsmanship none the less.post #3757 of 40605/11/14 at 5:27amQuote:Originally Posted by piraca
greetings from Sarawak EliodA. Was over in that neck of the woods a couple of weeks back, in Lombok. Also a great place for picking up some fabrics. They still do the hand woven songkets there which are pretty hard to come by. Here is one we picked up, each line woven in and out by hand. The gold thread is maybe over the top for a pocket square but excellent craftsmanship none the less.
Hi piraca, greetings from Jakarta. That's a very nice songket, indeed. My wife is from a Batak family originally from North Sumatra, where there is a very rich heritage in all kinds of songkets etc. The fabrics are usually quite heavy though, wholly unsuited for pocket squares. Tie material perhaps?
Are you guys still making the batik pocket squares as I saw on your website?
BTW, here's another experiment from me. In the unloved (on SF) colour purplepost #3758 of 40605/11/14 at 7:04ampost #3759 of 40605/12/14 at 5:43ampost #3760 of 40605/12/14 at 5:47ampost #3761 of 40605/12/14 at 4:50pmPosting my plain combo but if someone can help me out though I know its a pocket square thread.
I recently just bought this Hugo Boss magenta pin dot tie here in Canada. Obviously being Canada the price was $110 and I know Hugo Boss doesn't have a great reputation here. Though the tie does say made in Italy.
Should I return it or keep it. I love the color and I'm a newbie at folding ties yet it created the best dimple I've ever had (this is my first 'good' tie). I feel like I should keep it because finding a quality magenta pin dot tie is pretty hard. I mean I see purple pin dot and stuff or maybe a light pink but not this.
Please ignore that I didn't cover the top button of my shirt with my tie. Rookie mistake. Keep the tie or not?post #3762 of 40605/12/14 at 5:01pmpost #3763 of 40605/13/14 at 8:27ampost #3764 of 40605/13/14 at 8:46am
That being said, as someone who has owned a dozen Hugo Boss ties in his life...and keeps a few because several are actually quite well made...that isn't worth $110 dollars in the sense that you could get something you'd probably be a lot happier with for 20-30 bucks less. If you don't find anything you like from any of these folks, then keep it. If you do, return it, because the other ties will be better (though Howard Yount is about comparable to my nicer Boss ties in terms of quality).
And if you feel inclined to buy from particularly good people, Henry Carter and Sam Hober are probably two of the best all around folks on the forum
- Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....
- In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 11 seconds ago
- › Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... 4 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 4 minutes ago
- › Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Newc's Bespoke Adventure. 8 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 8 minutes ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 14 minutes ago
- › *** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit *** 20 minutes ago
- › What do you think of this leather weekender from Whipping Post...+... 24 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...