Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Thoughts and opinions on Gray SC, Pocket square and tie combos........ Last post on 4/6/14 at 11:56pm in Classic Menswear
- Does this SC look dated ? New SC added on page 2 Last post on 9/5/11 at 10:37am in Classic Menswear
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- Critique this bespoke suit from Baron Lee Last post on 5/28/12 at 10:22am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
Last edited: 10/6/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions..... - Page 251post #3751 of 41865/6/14 at 4:21pmpost #3752 of 41865/6/14 at 4:30pmpost #3753 of 41865/6/14 at 5:57pmQuote:
Thanks for the kind words. Yes you are right, most batik is cotton. However, silk is also used. The patterns and colors on silk usually look a bit sharper.
I'm certainly planning to try using cotton for PS's too. Perhaps even the textured dobby weaves that are quite common here on Java.post #3754 of 41865/6/14 at 10:45pmpost #3755 of 41865/6/14 at 10:52pmpost #3756 of 41865/11/14 at 1:10am
greetings from Sarawak EliodA. Was over in that neck of the woods a couple of weeks back, in Lombok. Also a great place for picking up some fabrics. They still do the hand woven songkets there which are pretty hard to come by. Here is one we picked up, each line woven in and out by hand. The gold thread is maybe over the top for a pocket square but excellent craftsmanship none the less.post #3757 of 41865/11/14 at 5:27amQuote:Originally Posted by piraca
greetings from Sarawak EliodA. Was over in that neck of the woods a couple of weeks back, in Lombok. Also a great place for picking up some fabrics. They still do the hand woven songkets there which are pretty hard to come by. Here is one we picked up, each line woven in and out by hand. The gold thread is maybe over the top for a pocket square but excellent craftsmanship none the less.
Hi piraca, greetings from Jakarta. That's a very nice songket, indeed. My wife is from a Batak family originally from North Sumatra, where there is a very rich heritage in all kinds of songkets etc. The fabrics are usually quite heavy though, wholly unsuited for pocket squares. Tie material perhaps?
Are you guys still making the batik pocket squares as I saw on your website?
BTW, here's another experiment from me. In the unloved (on SF) colour purplepost #3758 of 41865/11/14 at 7:04ampost #3759 of 41865/12/14 at 5:43ampost #3760 of 41865/12/14 at 5:47ampost #3761 of 41865/12/14 at 4:50pmPosting my plain combo but if someone can help me out though I know its a pocket square thread.
I recently just bought this Hugo Boss magenta pin dot tie here in Canada. Obviously being Canada the price was $110 and I know Hugo Boss doesn't have a great reputation here. Though the tie does say made in Italy.
Should I return it or keep it. I love the color and I'm a newbie at folding ties yet it created the best dimple I've ever had (this is my first 'good' tie). I feel like I should keep it because finding a quality magenta pin dot tie is pretty hard. I mean I see purple pin dot and stuff or maybe a light pink but not this.
Please ignore that I didn't cover the top button of my shirt with my tie. Rookie mistake. Keep the tie or not?post #3762 of 41865/12/14 at 5:01pmpost #3763 of 41865/13/14 at 8:27ampost #3764 of 41865/13/14 at 8:46am
That being said, as someone who has owned a dozen Hugo Boss ties in his life...and keeps a few because several are actually quite well made...that isn't worth $110 dollars in the sense that you could get something you'd probably be a lot happier with for 20-30 bucks less. If you don't find anything you like from any of these folks, then keep it. If you do, return it, because the other ties will be better (though Howard Yount is about comparable to my nicer Boss ties in terms of quality).
And if you feel inclined to buy from particularly good people, Henry Carter and Sam Hober are probably two of the best all around folks on the forumpost #3765 of 41865/13/14 at 10:37am
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 48 seconds ago
- › Need tips on how to restore these Florsheim Shell Longwings 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 3 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 4 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Troy 9.5 d 5 minutes ago
- › I need feminism because tumblr 5 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 8 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...