Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Thoughts and opinions on Gray SC, Pocket square and tie combos........ Last post on 4/6/14 at 11:56pm in Classic Menswear
- Does this SC look dated ? New SC added on page 2 Last post on 9/5/11 at 10:37am in Classic Menswear
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- Critique this bespoke suit from Baron Lee Last post on 5/28/12 at 10:22am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 10/5/16 at 11:38pm in Classic Menswear
Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
Last edited: 10/6/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions..... - Page 237post #3541 of 41869/1/13 at 6:57ampost #3542 of 41869/11/13 at 11:46amThread StarterVintage motorcycle expert Paul D'orleans is the creator of the blog The Vintagent. http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/
Paul also has other creative projects including a wet plate photography collection called "MotoTintype" featuring vintage motorcycles. He has reproduced two images "Wall of Death" and "Joshua Tree" on silk pocket squares here in San Francisco.
Wall of Death-
Derived directly from United States motorcycle boardtrack (motordrome) racing in the early 1900s, the very first carnival motordrome appeared at Coney Island amusement park (New York) in 1911. The following year portable tracks began to appear on travelling carnivals, and in 1915 the first "silodromes" with vertical walls appeared and were soon dubbed the "Wall of Death." The carnival attraction became a staple in the United States outdoor entertainment industry with the phenomenon reaching its zenith in the 1930s, with more than 100 motordromes on travelling shows and in amusement parks.
The audience views from the top of the drum, looking down. The riders start at the bottom of the drum, in the centre, and ascend an initial ramped section until they gain enough speed to drive horizontally to the floor, usually in a counter-clockwise direction (the physical explanation behind this act is found at Banked turn and The turning car.) This act is famous in the United Kingdom, and often is seen at fairs. In the 2000s, there remain only few touring Walls of Death. "The Demon Drome", "Messhams Wall of Death" and the "Ken Fox Troupe",. These acts feature original American Indian motorcycles which have been in use since the 1920s. In the United States the premier Show is the American Motordrome Company, which uses several Vintage Indian Scout Motorcycles from the 20's to give the audience a view of how these Shows were done in their Heyday.
Anyone interested in Paul's pocket squares can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org #3543 of 41869/11/13 at 3:03pmpost #3544 of 41869/11/13 at 8:07pmpost #3545 of 41869/12/13 at 8:55pmpost #3546 of 41869/12/13 at 9:25pm
Actually, most of Drakes pocket squares are made in Italy. They have a few types. The ones for which they are most well known are made in Italy. Those are the ones with all of the interesting patterns and designs. The fall/winter ones are 70% wool and 30% silk, and the spring/summer are 100% cotton. All made in Italy. They sell some 100% silk ones, which are made in England. They also sell some cotton and linen ones that are almost certainly made by Simmonot-Godard.
Paul Stuart sells a number of wool/silk squares which I'm fairly certain are made by the same manufacturer in Italy. The borders are the giveaway. The colors are always very rich.post #3547 of 41869/12/13 at 9:40pmpost #3548 of 418610/5/13 at 7:21am
I've made this for me ... the whole hemmed by hand ... more than 40x40 cm ... so do not go down every time in the breast pocket of his jacket.post #3549 of 418610/10/13 at 1:01ampost #3550 of 418610/10/13 at 3:27pmpost #3551 of 418610/11/13 at 5:39pm
I have that square. It's surprisingly useful as a conversation starter with women and often leads to them fishing for an invitation to go dancing after I show it to them and explain that it's a "cheat sheet" for dance steps. Being married, that doesn't actually end up doing me any good, but if you're single, one of these could definitely be a good investment.
I've moved this one to the bottom of the drawer for the season, however, and now am wearing grenadine PSs from Sam Hober which seem to take being subtle and understated to an entirely new level. Or maybe that's just my imagination. In any case, they're definitely a much more subtle look that the GTH-colored squares that I wear in the warmer months.post #3552 of 418610/20/13 at 10:31amThread Starterpost #3553 of 418610/20/13 at 10:34ampost #3554 of 418610/21/13 at 9:14ampost #3555 of 418610/21/13 at 9:21amQuote:
The Put This On version is handmade in the US of Irish linen, with handrolled edges, 16x16, of Irish Linen. $45.
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 7 seconds ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Thomas Riemer Doeskin & Deerskin Gloves 3 minutes ago
- › CONSOLIDATED F/W TIE SALE (DRAKES, VIOLA MILANO, SOZZI and more) 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 12 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 12 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE: 19 October - 29 October: The Sleaze Challenge 13 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 37 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 38 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...