or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › What I've Learned in Business So Far...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What I've Learned in Business So Far... - Page 20

post #286 of 310
Gettoasty, ask yourself what "business professional" means...
post #287 of 310
Thanks for all the ideas, finally changed it to some derivative of the same although I may just edit one more time.

"Business Analyst | Highly motivated | Resourceful | Reliable"

This just reads better to me for some reason and gets to the point.
post #288 of 310
.
Edited by Louis XIV - 10/12/11 at 11:41am
post #289 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

Thanks for all the ideas, finally changed it to some derivative of the same although I may just edit one more time.

"Business Analyst | Highly motivated | Resourceful | Reliable"

This just reads better to me for some reason and gets to the point.

Are you on the menu at Eleven Madison Park?
post #290 of 310
shog[1].gifbutbut.gif

I will give it a chance, it is what I am happy with and it seems like a "modern take"

I will change it back to:

"Highly motivated, insightful business analyst to assist in finance-related planning and special projects."

But I just feel this is too gimmicky and screams desperation, am I wrong?
post #291 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

shog[1].gifbutbut.gif

I will give it a chance, it is what I am happy with and it seems like a "modern take"

I will change it back to:

"Highly motivated, insightful business analyst to assist in finance-related planning and special projects."

But I just feel this is too gimmicky and screams desperation, am I wrong?

May just be me, but I think you're overthinking this. For a recent grad, your linkedin profile/header really does not make the difference.
post #292 of 310
My thoughts as well. I think the people mentioning "business analyst" were having a laugh. It comes off as quite presumptious. How can you be a business analyst when you are unemployed? Keep it direct. "Finance Major Seeking Career in Structured Finance"
post #293 of 310
...Or just put "business professional" and not worry so much about an opening sentence that most people put little weight into anyways.
post #294 of 310
what happened to this thread... started off awesome
post #295 of 310
For those who have been working for a long time, when is it appropriate to just 'drop off your resume' to another prospective employer / connection?

Been emailing back and forth with an internal at another company. I have no intentions of moving but you never know what will happen right?

I just thanked them for taking the time to answer some of my questions and want to send them my resume just so they have it on file / future reference.

Will this cause any problems for me?

FWIW whenever I get these notices of possible opportunities I always take the time to brush up the resume again. I would at least like for them to see my "work".
post #296 of 310
HAve your discussions veered to you potentially transitioning to the company? If so, you can send your resume and ask to be considered if something they think you fit for comes up. If not, don't. Just try to stay in periodic touch with the person.
post #297 of 310
We are still figuring out where I could possibly fit in the company.

E-mail sent without resume. Thanks,
post #298 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

HAve your discussions veered to you potentially transitioning to the company? If so, you can send your resume and ask to be considered if something they think you fit for comes up. If not, don't. Just try to stay in periodic touch with the person.

Isnt this what linkedin is for? So you can skip the dropping off of your resume, and casually talk about it without too much risk?
post #299 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

For those who have been working for a long time, when is it appropriate to just 'drop off your resume' to another prospective employer / connection?
Been emailing back and forth with an internal at another company. I have no intentions of moving but you never know what will happen right?
I just thanked them for taking the time to answer some of my questions and want to send them my resume just so they have it on file / future reference.
Will this cause any problems for me?
FWIW whenever I get these notices of possible opportunities I always take the time to brush up the resume again. I would at least like for them to see my "work".

I would never 'offically' give my resume out unless I wanted to jumpship.  I receive calls from recruiters a few times a year and I am extremly blunt.  You would need to find me something that pays X, in X industry, giving X amount of vacation, allowing me to work from home, yada yada.  Thats typically where the conversation ends :)

post #300 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post

Well I thought I thought I might press my luck and share some accumulated wisdom with some friends here since some seemed to like the consulting discussion.


Each day or so I will try to share some wisdom from my nearly 30 years working with businesses as a banker, CRO, risk consultant, and marketing consultant.


My hope is that this information might prove valuable to those of you working with Fortune 2000 companies.


Remember that this advice is free and that sometimes you get what you pay for.



Alrighty then. Let's get started.


Some great books in business:

Blue Ocean Strategy - Great way of thinking about business growth.

Made To Stick - Best book on business communication ever.

The McKinsey Way - An introduction to effective consulting.

Great. Subscribing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › What I've Learned in Business So Far...