Finally! Phew! That was a lot of reading! It hard to stay quiet through the whole thing. Just a coupe of comments without rehashing the whole thread.
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I posted this in another thread, but think it has a place here too:I read once a very true statement about management:20% of the people do 80% of the work. Good management means finding the right thing for the other 80% to do so they will be successful, and they will stay out of the way of the other 20%.
I whole-heatedly agree with this and have seen examples of this all over the place. I think what people need to understand here is most of the people here are in the top 10-15% of managers. Many of you are in large consulting firms, Fortune 500 Companies or the like. In those arena's I would anticipate a lot of "go getters." Unfortunately, outside of those places you have a few stars and sadly fewer good managers. While I think Ron's quote would be a good goal for most managers of these businesses I find the reality is 20% get absolutely buried in work and responsibilities and the other 80% coast. The mangers think they are great because the 20% still make them look great but they are killing themselves doing it. Sad but this is reality outside of Corporate America.
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Great thread. Kind of off topic, but didn't want to start a new thread for this.Anyone have experience in strategic/business development? Specifically, I have an opportunity to move into strategic development as an analyst at an oil and gas company and was wondering if anyone here has any experience in this domain they can share?
What strategy is involved in constantly increasing fuel prices? JK
Great thread! Thanks for all of your hard work putting this together AF.