or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Corduroy Suit? What do you think?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corduroy Suit? What do you think? - Page 4

post #46 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post
In the last year or so, I have come to the realization that I really don't like corduroy suits.


Please resist your natural tendency to over-pleb things.

Thanks.

- B
post #47 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianni View Post
your tailor is egging you on! Corduroy is cotton, so you should pay no more than the price of a cotton suit. Usually cotton is the cheapest fabric available to make suit.

Corduroy and cotton from good mills is every bit as expensive as wools and cashco substantially more.

Corduroy that is too soft can be annoying to wear for it's lack of body. Heavy cord can be annoying to wear because it has no give. Feels restrictive when made up.
What I'm sayin is, the type of cord used makes a big difference.

My favorite is a cotton/wool blend of corduroy and this is a rare find these days. I hate the corduroy blended with lycra or any of the stretchy materials.
post #48 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post
Corduroy and cotton from good mills is every bit as expensive as wools and cashco substantially more.

Corduroy that is too soft can be annoying to wear for it's lack of body. Heavy cord can be annoying to wear because it has no give. Feels restrictive when made up.
What I'm sayin is, the type of cord used makes a big difference.

My favorite is a cotton/wool blend of corduroy and this is a rare find these days. I hate the corduroy blended with lycra or any of the stretchy materials.

I love heavier cords...It is very nice to wear in fall..
post #49 of 74
I like cord trousers very much, but a cord suit would be too much for me. It has a University professor look to me, which is not a look I aspire to.
post #50 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I like cord trousers very much, but a cord suit would be too much for me. It has a University professor look to me, which is not a look I aspire to.

I really need to post a photo of my 3 piece jumbo corduroy suit to dismiss this "university professor" tag for a well-made corduroy suit in a good quality fabric and smart colour! ;-)
post #51 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordSuitFan View Post
I really need to post a photo of my 3 piece jumbo corduroy suit to dismiss this "university professor" tag for a well-made corduroy suit in a good quality fabric and smart colour! ;-)
Ha..ha.. Please do.
post #52 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikajinda View Post
So I was in Filene's after work today, and they had a few dark brown corduroy suits (by Zegna, Dunhill, etc.) priced at around $899.

What's your opinion of dark brown corduroy suits?

Should I get one for winter? And if so - what shoes should I wear with it? Brown suede oxfords like the Allen Edmonds Suede Hancock pictured below? And a matching brown suede belt? Or would that be too much brown going on?


i saw a canali dark brown corduroy suit at saks off fifth last year it was pretty decent. the fit was very nice and the price was only down to 299 at the time. i wasnt really interested but if i had to check again i m sure it would have been on further discount during those sale events and would have been maybe 40% off or you can use one of those 30% off one item coupons. would have been a decent buy. but i have no use for a cord suit.
post #53 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83 View Post
I recently wore a corduroy suit and felt silly. I'm inclined to wear the jacket and trousers separately, but not together again.

+1
post #54 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Ha..ha..

Please do.

I will get a photo sorted tomorrow
post #55 of 74
After seeing this photo, I think you should definitely go for it:
post #56 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station View Post
After seeing this photo, I think you should definitely go for it:


I agree, Station.
post #57 of 74
Surprised no one has mentioned Wes Anderson with a Mr. Ned number.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #58 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbare View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned Wes Anderson with a Mr. Ned number.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wes always looks cool. I dont think Ive ever seen him wearing anything but corduroy suits now that I think about it.
post #59 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftar View Post
I'm not sure I have the guts to try a corduroy suit, but this tread has definitely convinced me to try a sportcoat. Also, approximately how quickly would a corduroy jacket wear out compared to a wool jacket (assuming normal wear, 3-4 times a month, etc.)? If you did get a suit, would it make sense to go w/ 2 pair of pants (or even 3 if the pants wear out that quickly)?

Cord wears out more quickly. Colour may fade, too.

That said, I don't think you should get two pairs of pants. Why? Read on:

The jacket of a corduroy suit will be perferctly wearable separately, e.g. with jeans. So much so, actually, that you may end up wearing the jacket out before the trousers. (The trousers will be perfectly wearable separately too, so don't worry.)

Anyway, I've owned two cord suits; one off-white that I -- ahem -- grew out of (or perhaps it shrunk from body heat?), and one dark tan. The latter was only worn as a suit once; the jacket soon faded from being worn too much separately (back when I wore jeans to work), so if I were to put it on as a suit now, it would look quite ridiculous. As an odd jacket, and as odd trousers, they both still work quite well (except for that body heat shrinkage bit)...
post #60 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordSuitFan View Post
I really need to post a photo of my 3 piece jumbo corduroy suit to dismiss this "university professor" tag for a well-made corduroy suit in a good quality fabric and smart colour! ;-)

Not a great quality photo but this is my 3 piece jumbo corduroy suit, as promised earlier:
100% cotton, 4 wale and very heavy but gives easily so very comfortable to wear. Not recommended for sunny days or overheating is a problem but it's 7 years old and looks as fresh as the day I bought it with my wedding day in mind although, admittedly, I do take great care of it.


Edited by CordSuitFan - 1/7/12 at 2:15am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Corduroy Suit? What do you think?