• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Over 45 and clubbing; what to wear?

Farmgate

Reaction score
I am over 45 and look about 39, slim and fit, and will be clubbing in NYC, Toronto and other cities this spring and summer. As much as I like stylish clothing for clubs, I am aftraid I will look like "that guy" who just couldn't let go... I saw them all the time in the mid-seventies, when I was young: the long sideburns, the Beatle hair and bell bottom dress pants.

Anyway I don't want to be that guy.

I was thinking that a real slim and fitted suit, and impecable shirt of neon green or yellow, and a tie would look better than jeans and a button down. That would be stylish without appearing to be an under cover agent.

The clubs play mostly hip hop, techno.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that age you will almost certainly be "that guy" regardless of how you dress, I'm guessing you are asking this because you expect the people at these clubs to be something like 15-20 years younger than you. Anything to dance around or conceal your age is definitely "that guy" status. Actually, there isn't any getting around it - just by thinking of this question you're already that guy. edit: wait, over 45?
Originally Posted by PaoloM
What? over 45?! That's really creepy

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, but he looks ABOUT 39.

cromulated

Reaction score
yellow or green?? please visit your nearest paul smith stockist instead.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would save the neon shirt for a rave. I would instead go with a light colored, spread collar button up.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just dress like Guy Fieri and you're good to go.
lol8[1].gif

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
39 looking 29 would even still be creepy

I'm not even certain what would distinguish a 30-year-old from a 29-year-old, to be honest. Same for a 40YO and a 39YO. Maybe it helps to say you look like you're in your 30s instead of your early 40s.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farmgate
I am over 45 and look about 39, slim and fit, and will be clubbing in NYC, Toronto and other cities this spring and summer. As much as I like stylish clothing for clubs, I am aftraid I will look like "that guy" who just couldn't let go... I saw them all the time in the mid-seventies, when I was young: the long sideburns, the Beatle hair and bell bottom dress pants.

Anyway I don't want to be that guy.

I was thinking that a real slim and fitted suit, and impecable shirt of neon green or yellow, and a tie would look better than jeans and a button down. That would be stylish without appearing to be an under cover agent.

The clubs play mostly hip hop, techno.

A neon green shirt?? You're 45, not 15.

Why are you going clubbing at over 45?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farmgate
As much as I like stylish clothing for clubs, I am aftraid I will look like "that guy" who just couldn't let go... I saw them all the time in the mid-seventies, when I was young: the long sideburns, the Beatle hair and bell bottom dress pants.

What made them "that guy" wasn't their outdated style but the fact that they were hanging around with a bunch of 20 year olds. Nothing is going to change that. Go spend some time at drinking lounges and places that are more appropriate and let the kids have their fun without grandpa.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Why are you going clubbing at over 45?
This is the better question.

Stick to classics: white shirt, leather moto jacket, grey slacks, black chelsea boots. All slim and cut impeccably.

You will stand out, better have a Lambo and a good dealer if you're hoping to impress.

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're 45 and clubbing lol. I'm 17 and already sniffing blow, I tell my friends it's asthma every time I itch my throat.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
17 years old and already at the zenith of existence.. what's next?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads