or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pocket Square Review: an Ongoing Series
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pocket Square Review: an Ongoing Series - Page 7

post #91 of 260
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandArts View Post
Yes, I do agree that a white PS will go with everything but it's also not the only way. And if you reread my post you'll notice that I didn't use any absolutes such as only.

That's an absolute statement.
post #92 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
That's an absolute statement.
In what way?
post #93 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
I'm not a fan of Cary Grant's or Steve McQueen's style. Fred Astaire wasn't infallible.

I am either fan of your pedantry.

A guy with 13.000 post and even just one is good. Why don't you ask for a real job on the NBA ?
post #94 of 260
i take it foo is not a fan of the monochromatic look

i love navy suit, blue tie, white shirt and white pocket square.

but then again, i dont really like pocket squares with tweed sports coats.
post #95 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert View Post
i take it foo is not a fan of the monochromatic look

i love navy suit, blue tie, white shirt and white pocket square.

but then again, i dont really like pocket squares with tweed sports coats.

This is a good point. While I've worn a linen square with tweeds on occasion, I almost always feel odd wearing a pocket square with a tweed jacket or even a blazer.

I pretty much reserve the pocket squares for suits -- otherwise, it just looks odd (to me).
post #96 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post
It seems to me that foo's taste is very balanced based. Not that I have a problem with that, it just echoes why he supports cream pocket squares with white shirts. This tries to bring all parts of the ensembles closer to a color equilibrium. I am not going to lie, I am like this at times. However, saying that the white pocket square "echoing" the shirt cuffs is not part of color balance but of a sharper look.

But this definitely explains why foo's tastes (cream pocket square/white shirt, no plain shirt/plain pocket squares/plain ties, no patterned ties/patterned shirts/patterned squares, etc.). I, too, am tired of this arguing because it can go on forever. It is a matter of taste: color balance based or contrasting sharp based.

People have said that old celebrities have been known to wear white shirts and white pocket squares. Do they look great? Why wouldn't they? They're sharp with a lot of bright white highlights from their shirt and square. But are they colorfully balanced? No. This has nothing to do with class. To be honest, this is the point where I think this isn't a discussion of class or dressing well but personal color tastes.

You help enunciate what I've been trying to -- thanks. I guess one problem I have with wearing a cream pocket square with a white shirt is that I always felt it sit so close to white, but not quite, that it looks a bit dinghy in contrast.
post #97 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlin View Post
I pretty much reserve the pocket squares for suits -- otherwise, it just looks odd (to me).

same as me. i dont mind it on others but when i do it myself i feel self conscious about it not working and dont feel comfortable with it. which means it doesnt work.

i always wear sports jackets and blazers more casually and for some reason wearing a PS when being more casual always makes me feel too dandyish and affected.
post #98 of 260
You cant help but just chuckle a little at watching a new Foo thread fall completely off the rails.
post #99 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert View Post
same as me. i dont mind it on others but when i do it myself i feel self conscious about it not working and dont feel comfortable with it. which means it doesnt work.

i always wear sports jackets and blazers more casually and for some reason wearing a PS when being more casual always makes me feel too dandyish and affected.

Agreed. And all the more reason why I feel strongly about wearing colorful pocket squares for those occasions when I'd be sober.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
You cant help but just chuckle a little at watching a new Foo thread fall completely off the rails.

Well, I think it's quite intentional -- Foo's stances on (sometimes innate) things tend to be pretty unrelenting. Like moths to a flame...
post #100 of 260
Foo, you like solid cream but do not like solid burgundy - why?
post #101 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
Foo, you like solid cream but do not like solid burgundy - why?

post #102 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlin View Post
This is a good point. While I've worn a linen square with tweeds on occasion, I almost always feel odd wearing a pocket square with a tweed jacket or even a blazer.

I pretty much reserve the pocket squares for suits -- otherwise, it just looks odd (to me).

+1 I quite agree.
post #103 of 260
Foo: I disagree with most of your rules about pocket squares. I did start selling a cream pocket square because of you, though. It hasn't sold too well, and I hardly ever wear it. Maybe I'll warm up to it.
post #104 of 260
Try wearing a wool pocket square with a tweed jacket. It is a bit more casual and it looks great. I learned this back in the 80's from a hunting shop in London.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlin View Post
This is a good point. While I've worn a linen square with tweeds on occasion, I almost always feel odd wearing a pocket square with a tweed jacket or even a blazer.

I pretty much reserve the pocket squares for suits -- otherwise, it just looks odd (to me).
post #105 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
Foo, you like solid cream but do not like solid burgundy - why?

My own opinion is that is a very 80's look. From the era when many guys wore poorly matching ties and pocket squares. Why a solid burgundy when you can try something with a subtle pattern like small polka dots? Far more interesting yet simple.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pocket Square Review: an Ongoing Series