Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 2:19 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 3/24/17 at 12:35pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Today at 4:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 1:24 pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 648post #9706 of 198706/20/14 at 1:28pmpost #9707 of 198706/20/14 at 1:39pmpost #9708 of 198706/20/14 at 1:42pmpost #9709 of 198706/20/14 at 2:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by dieworkwear
I recently bought a nice suede jacket, and am hoping to wear it out without it looking beat to hell after a week. Am wondering if it's a bad idea to spray a suede protector on it, like one would use on shoes? Does anyone know? (cc'ing: @DWFII and @patrickBOOTH). FWIW, the suede protector I normally use is from Allen Edmonds, which I understand doesn't have any silicone. Are there issues with using suede protectors/ waterproofers?
Sorry if this question seems out of line with the thread, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask it. Hopefully the answer will generate some useful info for people interested in suede care in general.
I have never seen a real napped-suede jacket in san francisco. Would you care to share pictures? (hopefully that wont be too off-topic on this thread)post #9710 of 198706/20/14 at 2:18pm
xpost from Alden thread.
I was hoping to get some advise on these. I bought these 2nds from TSM. The only defect in the shoe is "broken" welt stitching. I am not complaining about the quality as these are 2nds. But my concern is whether the welt will unravel. Can anyone chime in whether this is a major construction defect and would affect longevity of the shoe? I still have the chance to send these back so hoping to get some insight.post #9711 of 198706/20/14 at 2:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by green garden
xpost from Alden thread.
I was hoping to get some advise on these. I bought these 2nds from TSM. The only defect in the shoe is "broken" welt stitching. I am not complaining about the quality as these are 2nds. But my concern is whether the welt will unravel. Can anyone chime in whether this is a major construction defect and would affect longevity of the shoe? I still have the chance to send these back so hoping to get some insight.
Doubtful. The only problem is that it's an open channel into the insole and interior of the shoe. Get some clear silicone caulking, fill the hole...and forget it.post #9712 of 198706/20/14 at 3:03pmpost #9713 of 198706/20/14 at 3:25pmQuote:
Thank you! I think I have clear caulking. I'm am spraying them with suede protector and start getting mileage.
Happy Friday.post #9714 of 198706/21/14 at 5:03pmpost #9715 of 198706/21/14 at 5:53pmpost #9716 of 198706/21/14 at 5:59pmpost #9717 of 198706/21/14 at 7:56pmpost #9718 of 198706/21/14 at 7:59pmpost #9719 of 198706/21/14 at 8:34pm
Ok, just put Lexol on the natty CXL indy boots. Letting them dry, then will buff with a dry cloth.
Lesson learned: I need the largest brush I can comfortably hold, preferably with longer bristles. If anyone has a good rec for a cheap-ish brush, let me know.
Re: Cordovan buffing...
I noticed the dri-fit socks I have—made of nylon, I think—take little buffing to shine up the shell.post #9720 of 198706/21/14 at 11:21pmWhile trudging through the several hundred, but interesting, pages of this thread, I've detected more than once a consensus (sorta) form on one point or another, only to be replaced a few weeks or months later by a different idea.
So, at the present time, is there an emerging general agreement among the more respected contributors that Saphir neutral cordovan creme might be the best thing for conditioning shell? Or have I misread things?
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › The Look goes on... 43 seconds ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 9 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 12 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 23 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 29 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 30 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 35 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 42 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...