Can we apply Occam's Razor, here, in that the simpler answer is likely to be the best? As a relative novice, can i suggest that it might be best just to apply a simple shoe cleaning routine - regardless of pedigree? This discussion runs the risk of that old theological debate of 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin'. Call me stupid, but simplicity is sometimes genius.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 8:31 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 4:12 pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on 9/26/16 at 8:17am in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on 9/26/16 at 5:36pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 646post #9676 of 188506/19/14 at 10:00ampost #9677 of 188506/19/14 at 10:22ampost #9678 of 188506/19/14 at 11:25ampost #9679 of 188506/19/14 at 12:49pmpost #9680 of 188506/19/14 at 12:52pmpost #9681 of 188506/19/14 at 2:13pmQuote:
If you live in the UK there is a company called ''shoehealer'' they do alot of work on Trickers which historically have thick as hell soles, so worth asking them. The issue with recrafting triple sole is the fact that most stitchers are old as hell and wouldn't be able to handle it (I have access to 3 Goodyear welt stitchers through work and none of them would be able to do the job).post #9682 of 188506/19/14 at 2:15pmQuote:Quote:
Lol well the 50/ 50 vinegar/water experiment may have turned into a big mistake. I set it up lat night, saturated the mark, wet a towel and wrapped it on the shoe and left it. Noticed the large wet mark and got nervous this afternoon and unwrapped the whole thing.
The shoe may not be fully dry but it seems like I may have only made things much worse haha. The original mark is still there and now a large surrounding mark exists and will probably dry with new outlying stains. I guess I will be polishing to cover up after this and maybe I should have just let them be. Lesson learned.
Original stain by the pinking, and the large new outlying markspost #9683 of 188506/19/14 at 2:18pmQuote:Quote:Originally Posted by OREO
If you live in the UK there is a company called ''shoehealer'' they do alot of work on Trickers which historically have thick as hell soles, so worth asking them. The issue with recrafting triple sole is the fact that most stitchers are old as hell and wouldn't be able to handle it (I have access to 3 Goodyear welt stitchers through work and none of them would be able to do the job).
Not many factory stitchers could handle triple soled shoes. The other problem is that the shoes would, for all intents and purposes be rigid and unable to flex. At the very least you're feet would be less comfortable...by a long shot...trying to move naturally in them. You might as well be wearing wooden soled clogs. There's a fellow in the UK who is one of the last master clog makers.post #9684 of 188506/19/14 at 2:35pmQuote:
Best option is to send it to the maker for resoling. On the plus side Dinkelackers triple soles are like tanks, stomping on everything around them, and should last much more in between resoles.post #9685 of 188506/19/14 at 4:19pmpost #9686 of 188506/19/14 at 6:16pmQuote:
The new marks cleared up now that things have dried thankfully. Now that the initial scare is over maybe I will give it another try.
Should it be left until things dry on their own under the wrap?post #9687 of 188506/19/14 at 6:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by Burzan
Any advice on a solution for a possible water stain on these new AE Strand seconds, the mark is pretty subtle under normal conditios (pic is under bright LED lights). The mark started to show itself as I removed the excess polish on the shoe. I would not like to cover them with more polish.
Am I the only person who would just call this patina and carry on?post #9688 of 188506/19/14 at 6:29pmQuote:
I think that this is an under-appreciated point. There's a lot of questions about whether this that or the other thing will hurt a pair of shoes, when the vast majority will be fine with brushing and trees. No harm in using stuff to make them look nice of course, but let's be honest about what we're doing.post #9689 of 188506/19/14 at 6:31pmpost #9690 of 188506/20/14 at 12:29amQuote:
That's what I wondered. Also after some use (even with just city walking) there will be faint marks and streaks in other places, so putting in all that effort to get that one blemish out seems rather futile.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 seconds ago
- › Cars We Drive! 30 seconds ago
- › Alligator / Crocodile Shoes 1 minute ago
- › Anyone had experiences with Toronto custom suit maker John Ferrigamo? 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 5 minutes ago
- › Velasca Shoes 5 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 7 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...