Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 3/27/17 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 3/24/17 at 12:35pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Yesterday at 7:21 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on 3/28/17 at 1:24pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 621post #9302 of 198725/12/14 at 6:37ampost #9303 of 198725/12/14 at 6:38am
Just keep an eye on it and yes, apply Bick4 or Lexol ever infrequent now and again.
As pB said, the creak may come back but after the conditioner is fully absorbed you can always apply more talc.post #9304 of 198725/12/14 at 8:27amQuote:Originally Posted by DWFII
It's a good solution if you can access those areas that are creaking. I always thought that if I could get a hypodermic needle full of talc past the stitches and between the outsole and insole, I could suppress creaking in the shoe. Never did try it...never was confronted with need.
Bear in mind however...talc is drying. It will absorb the conditioners on and near the surface of the leather.
At the risk of sounding defeating, I don't think this hypodermic needle full of talc idea would work. At least, not unless talc is heavily diluted in a liquid solution (if talc : liquid ratio is too concentrated, the solution wouldn't even go through the needle, even the 18G). And I bet you wouldn't want to inject liquid in between the in and outsole.post #9305 of 198725/12/14 at 8:47amQuote:Originally Posted by ShawnBC
At the risk of sounding defeating, I don't think this hypodermic needle full of talc idea would work. At least, not unless talc is heavily diluted in a liquid solution (if talc : liquid ratio is too concentrated, the solution wouldn't even go through the needle, even the 18G). And I bet you wouldn't want to inject liquid in between the in and outsole.
Like I said, I never tried it. But I don't doubt you're correct. I wondered if the talc wouldn't compact and block the needle tight.
Bright ideas...post #9306 of 198725/12/14 at 7:09pmSpeaking of talc... I just switched from my winter wool dress socks to my cotton ones and I noticed considerable audible friction between the sock and shoe. (Seriously?) I've tried to tighten the shoes down to reduce movement/friction but that was uncomfortable.
I meant to ask if some kind of foot powder might alleviate this? I noticed it in my Alfred Sargents and GGs. Or maybe fabric softener with the socks?
Edited by Itsuo - 5/13/14 at 3:40pmpost #9307 of 198725/13/14 at 5:17ampost #9308 of 198725/13/14 at 9:56am
I used Saphir mid-brown wax polish on the toes of my Vass antique cognac austerity brogues. The wax left a black spot on the side edge of the toe on each shoe...not uniform at all. It is much too blackened for my liking.
Can I remove the dark spots with Renomat, or will that harm the Italian polish that Vass puts on the shoe?post #9309 of 198725/13/14 at 11:22am
Hi, I have a question for you shoe experts.
I use Saphir Renovateur / Allen Edmonds Cleaner Conditioner on my dress shoes, and follow that up with 1-2 layers of wax over the whole upper as my polish routine.
Will that moisturize and protect my shoes enough? I apply every 3 weeks or so, and am not interested in colored shoe creams as I want them to naturally antique.
I've Attached photos of Carminas, using this routine, yet the leather hasn't seemed to fare well (especially the right one)
The shoes could also be made of poor leather, the slighest touch makes spider web like creases appear.
Will the wax damage my shoes over time, and is the cleaner/conditioner not enough to keep the shoes conditioned?
Your assistance would be much appreciated.post #9310 of 198725/13/14 at 2:16pmpost #9311 of 198725/13/14 at 2:30pmpost #9312 of 198725/13/14 at 4:25pmpost #9313 of 198725/13/14 at 4:30pmpost #9314 of 198725/14/14 at 7:22ampost #9315 of 198725/14/14 at 8:16amQuote:
Please go easy, if you want to bring up a good lustre/shine. Too much vigorous brushing may move the wax more than required and cause some blemish. I find finishing with a damp old cotton T shirt cut away is enuff.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 9 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 10 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 13 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 16 minutes ago
- › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want? 19 minutes ago
- › Roda Linen Scarf by robxznyc
- › Destin Surl Dedo Square Scarf by robxznyc
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...