or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 597

post #8941 of 10705
Use your fingers wrapped in a clothes to apply wax or cream, don't use a brush. You shouldn't get any on the suede.
post #8942 of 10705
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

So my cobbler decided to paint over the sides of my leather soles with a brown finish when they were initially black. I tried using a sole edge dressing to re-paint it black, but it the black ink doesn't stay on the shoe for long with brown paint resurfacing after a few wears.

Is there any way to strip out the thick layer of brown paint, so I can actually paint it black with the sole edge dressing again?

This is what I'm using:

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Heel-Edge-black-2-5oz/dp/B000U9YODA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397219945&sr=8-1&keywords=kiwi+sole+polish

I actually had the same problem where the cobbler lathered brown edge dressing all over my natural edge shoes. I like the sand paper idea only problem is he also got it all over the welt (and even on the shoe in several areas). I tried using my GlenKaren cleaner/conditioner and it took some of it off but it's not strong enough for the amount the cobbler lathered on the sole/heel edge.

I've never seen a need for me to own renomat but I figure this might be a good opportunity to use it. Or should I go pick up some other chemical cleaner since it's only for the sole edge and welt of the shoe?
post #8943 of 10705
Hello gents,

I recently bought a new pair of loafers and decided to clean it as soon as i came home since it kinda looked dusty. Used acetone like what others have suggested. After a few rubs i noticed that i kinda stripped off spme of the finishing hence a producing a lighter spot on the shoe. Now im stuck with an uneven color shoe. How do i fix this? Im gonna post some pics in a while
post #8944 of 10705
As I was shining a pair of G&G Cambridge, the polish on the toe turned a bit cloudy then rubbed away. Looking at it, I think I'm going to have to strip the entire toe. Any way around this?

post #8945 of 10705
Let dry for a day or two and see what happens before you do anything drastic; it could be just too much moisture in the leather causing it to swell.
post #8946 of 10705
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLime View Post

Hello gents,

I recently bought a new pair of loafers and decided to clean it as soon as i came home since it kinda looked dusty. Used acetone like what others have suggested. After a few rubs i noticed that i kinda stripped off spme of the finishing hence a producing a lighter spot on the shoe. Now im stuck with an uneven color shoe. How do i fix this? Im gonna post some pics in a while

Well. Why would you strip new shoes of its finish? Dirty shoes requires nothing but a wet towel to clean....

Shoe cream and the polish. It will take care of some of the color variances. And wear it to remember never use any cleaner on a new pair of shoes.
post #8947 of 10705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post

As I was shining a pair of G&G Cambridge, the polish on the toe turned a bit cloudy then rubbed away. Looking at it, I think I'm going to have to strip the entire toe. Any way around this?
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

That's not the polish, it looks like you've rubbed off the top finishing coat on the leather.

post #8948 of 10705
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLime View Post

Hello gents,

I recently bought a new pair of loafers and decided to clean it as soon as i came home since it kinda looked dusty. Used acetone like what others have suggested. After a few rubs i noticed that i kinda stripped off spme of the finishing hence a producing a lighter spot on the shoe. Now im stuck with an uneven color shoe. How do i fix this? Im gonna post some pics in a while

Whomever suggested cleaning new shoes with acetone, find him, and punch him in the face.
Edited by patrickBOOTH - 4/14/14 at 6:01am
post #8949 of 10705
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Whoever suggesting cleaning new shoes with acetone, find him, and punch him in the face.


..twice...hard

post #8950 of 10705
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post


Well. Why would you strip new shoes of its finish? Dirty shoes requires nothing but a wet towel to clean....

Shoe cream and the polish. It will take care of some of the color variances. And wear it to remember never use any cleaner on a new pair of shoes.

 

Here:

 

 

 

 

As you can see in the first pic there is an uneven shading unlike the third pic.

Don't mind of the dark color since I tried experimenting with black wax

 

Also, what's SF's stand on Kiwi Waxes? I used it in here but before I used the wax, i clean with acetone, condition and use meltonian shoe cream

post #8951 of 10705
Can't tell if your a troll or not...
post #8952 of 10705

The Hangar Project recommends reno, cream and then wax, for shoes straight out of the box. From what I have read, above, this seems like complete overkill. I note that some, above, advocate not putting anything on new shoes. I have followed this advice and won't go near cream or polish until they need them.

 

My new shoes are Loake 1880, Strands, in Burgundy,  which, to my eyes (and my wallet), are beautiful. 

post #8953 of 10705
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Whomever suggested cleaning new shoes with acetone, find him, and punch him in the face.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasnordin View Post
 


..twice...hard

 

I'm sorry I meant using acetone for getting rid of wax faster.

I'm not really sure if I found it in this thread but somewhere in SF when I was searching a couple of days ago. It's not that visible in the pics but it is in real life.

However, I use this for cleaning since this is the only stuff I could get my hands with:

 

 

 

I achieved a nice high shine using that, meltonian shoe cream and around 3-4 rounds of very small amount of KIWI waxes 

yet the uneven mark/leather finish is still noticeable.

 

How do I restore it to its original color?

 

Do I strip off everything instead and apply normal shoe cream routine?

 

Also, 

 

I don't have access to Lexol here in the Philippines, only brands I saw was mother's leather cleaner

and mostly stuff for leathers in cars. Can I use this instead?

post #8954 of 10705

I was in B. Nelson's the other day...

 

they said don't put anything on new shoes...

 

and for a while, after wearing...don't use anything but neutral wax polish...only start using colored wax when the shoes lose some of their color and lustre and need it restored.

 

interesting procedure...

post #8955 of 10705
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post
 

I was in B. Nelson's the other day...

 

they said don't put anything on new shoes...

 

and for a while, after wearing...don't use anything but neutral wax polish...only start using colored wax when the shoes lose some of their color and lustre and need it restored.

 

interesting procedure...

Not sure who you spoke to, but Nick is the owner and I have spoken to him a few times about the option to use his Saphir Shine - which can be a 2 to 4 step process.  If Nick has changed his view, then you could try it . . . or get involved with the videos and 1-5 step process of Saphir products.

 

Nordstroms department store, just outside of NYC, has one of the best shoe shines in the area, in which they apply a combination cream and wax to all new AE shoes/boots.  If you just walk in, the store subsidizes the cost so that all you pay is $2.50 per professional shine.  If you buy shoes/boots from them (especially on sale or price match), they give you a free professional shine before you leave the store.  Remember to ask the shiner what he/she is applying, in what order, what products, to take notes.

 

When you buy AE shoes/boots direct from AE, they say "just wear them" until you are ready to nourish them.  If you have more than one pair in your collection, you can rotate each pair so each shoe/boot gets time to rest.

 

All my best,


David

 

Each can build a collection, one pair at a time.  Priceless!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**