or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 572

post #8566 of 19072
RedDevil, I see your shoeshine sundays routines and I definitely think you putt too much shit on your shoes.
post #8567 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

RedDevil, I see your shoeshine sundays routines and I definitely think you putt too much shit on your shoes.

 

Depends on the shoes and what I think they need.  You're welcome to chime in.

post #8568 of 19072
It is really infuriating hearing all these good things about Reno, buying my first jar, using it for the first time last weekend albeit a small dab, and now hearing all this negativity from SF members, and realizing a few days ago the area in which I used Reno (toe cap) has a slight artificial wrinkling. The touch is still smooth but I can see some subtle veins in which beforehand I never noticed.

ffffuuuu.gif

foo.gif

Appreciate if anyone can link me where to purchase cleaning/nourishing cream beside Saphir? I need black and dark brown.

lol @ Kirby comments. I actually followed his direction on the website rolleyes.gif
post #8569 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

If you don't want a glassy shine to your shoes and want a 'minimal' kit for caring for them, would it be a good idea simply to stick with shoe cream, a couple of brushes and a cloth? I'm working on the principle that 'simplicity is genius'.

Depends on the shoe cream. If it contains silicon and the like, well this thread is full of information on that subject.
post #8570 of 19072

[double post] apologies

post #8571 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintranslation View Post

Hey guys,

Someone recommended that I post my problem in this thread (thanks for the suggestion!).

I have an excellent pair of well-loved Carmina chelsea boots. They're great boots, but have developed this harsh pebbly texture on the leather as well as some small pits. I'm not sure what's caused these blemishes, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the winter (I've worn them in the salty winter sleet a few times).

Here are some photos; please ignore the discoloration - they're still a little wet.





I initially thought it was some sort of salt buildup, and have used saddle soap to clean the affected area. However, the pebbly texture still remains and I'm afraid to agitate the area more. I'm not sure if the leather there has gotten really weak and is about to tear or something, so I don't want to be overly-abrasive with it.. For the record, I use Saphir's products to condition/shine them.

Has anybody seen this happen before? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

the shoe snob has a post in his blog about using vinegar + water and rubbing it on the affected areas. Please take a look in case the other solutions haven't worked

post #8572 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

It is really infuriating hearing all these good things about Reno, buying my first jar, using it for the first time last weekend albeit a small dab, and now hearing all this negativity from SF members, and realizing a few days ago the area in which I used Reno (toe cap) has a slight artificial wrinkling. The touch is still smooth but I can see some subtle veins in which beforehand I never noticed.

ffffuuuu.gif

foo.gif

Appreciate if anyone can link me where to purchase cleaning/nourishing cream beside Saphir? I need black and dark brown.

lol @ Kirby comments. I actually followed his direction on the website rolleyes.gif

Hi - Reno is a fantastic product.....what do you mean 'all this negativity' though? Just curious.

As for the actual usage, can you post a pic by chance? Trying to follow 'artificial wrinkling'.....and if you are seeing veins in the leather well, that would be the leather not the product.

Renovateur is a very gentle conditioner.....it's main active ingredient is cosmetic grade real Mink Oil - it's not a harsh cleaner by any means. It's completely natural with no chemicals or solvent (besides water, which is technically a solvent). And it is, despite some recent comments I've read here, mainly a conditioner. It's ridiculous to think that this product.....on the market since the 20's and used/sold by Hermes, John Lobb, C&J, Berluti, LV, JM Weston, Gucci and on and on, would be harmful to shoes or leathergoods. Hell, they even use it in the Louvre on ancient bookbindings from what I'm told.

Anyway, I'd love to be pointed to some negativity so I can see if it is educated comments, maybe someone who used it incorrectly so I can help, or simply people typing away the day without much to say........that or maybe someone who has had enough of incessant advertising (me too, and I'm the distributor! It's not my deal.....) has decided to kick it around just cuse -
post #8573 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER View Post

Hi - Reno is a fantastic product.....what do you mean 'all this negativity' though? Just curious.

As for the actual usage, can you post a pic by chance? Trying to follow 'artificial wrinkling'.....and if you are seeing veins in the leather well, that would be the leather not the product.

Renovateur is a very gentle conditioner.....it's main active ingredient is cosmetic grade real Mink Oil - it's not a harsh cleaner by any means. It's completely natural with no chemicals or solvent (besides water, which is technically a solvent). And it is, despite some recent comments I've read here, mainly a conditioner. It's ridiculous to think that this product.....on the market since the 20's and used/sold by Hermes, John Lobb, C&J, Berluti, LV, JM Weston, Gucci and on and on, would be harmful to shoes or leathergoods. Hell, they even use it in the Louvre on ancient bookbindings from what I'm told.

Anyway, I'd love to be pointed to some negativity so I can see if it is educated comments, maybe someone who used it incorrectly so I can help, or simply people typing away the day without much to say........that or maybe someone who has had enough of incessant advertising (me too, and I'm the distributor! It's not my deal.....) has decided to kick it around just cuse -

I don't like the stuff because of my experiences with it over the years. Pretty much all of my shoes that have seen the beloved reno treatment have died. I have some shoes that are much older that saw nothing but lexol in their earlier years are in better shape than the reno cared for shoes, which are all cracking.

I have my doubts on it being water based. If it is water based why is it a creamy emulsion with no separation? There's got to be some sort of solvent in there?

I don't believe the main ingredient is mink oil, it doesn't behave like mink oil at all when applied. It actually polishes up quite nicely, which in my experience isn't mink oil like at all.
post #8574 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER View Post


Anyway, I'd love to be pointed to some negativity so I can see if it is educated comments, maybe someone who used it incorrectly so I can help, or simply people typing away the day without much to say........that or maybe someone who has had enough of incessant advertising (me too, and I'm the distributor! It's not my deal.....) has decided to kick it around just cuse -

I haven't got much experience with Reno...but be careful..."educated comments" aren't as prized here as we might wish, you and I.
post #8575 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't like the stuff because of my experiences with it over the years. Pretty much all of my shoes that have seen the beloved reno treatment have died. I have some shoes that are much older that saw nothing but lexol in their earlier years are in better shape than the reno cared for shoes, which are all cracking.

I have my doubts on it being water based. If it is water based why is it a creamy emulsion with no separation? There's got to be some sort of solvent in there?

I don't believe the main ingredient is mink oil, it doesn't behave like mink oil at all when applied. It actually polishes up quite nicely, which in my experience isn't mink oil like at all.

FT1123RENOVATEURPOMMADIERMDOGB.pdf 44k .pdf file

FDS-1124-RENOVATEURHUILEDEVISONMEDAILLEDOR-GR-V01-2005.pdf 39k .pdf file

You'll have to show me sometime......you know where to find me. cheers.gif

Anything who's msds is this simple is pretty much a water based product - every other solvent requires an entry. The shine is from the beeswax.

For these older shoes, what did you use as a polish? Also, could it have been back when we started stocking this product here and everyone seemed to just glob it on like a bath? I remember countless emails saying 'use sparingly, a little goes a long way'.

BTW, I'm assuming my boots are still holding up well?
post #8576 of 19072
Your boots are holding up excellently.

I just find the emulsion curious. FWIW, I like the Creme Universelle better. It seems to sink in better and be less of a "polish".

FWIW, I think reno is an excellent product for using a dab (like half the size of a pea) for swirling on the toe and heel over a wax polish to bring life back into the shine.

For the older shoes I was using whatever polish Barker Black was selling under their name brand. Saphir possibly. This was back in ~2006-ish.
post #8577 of 19072
Rider,

With regard to Reno...again, I plead ignorance to the ingredients and don't claim any useful experience with it. But I can read (and often do smile.gif ), nevertheless it's not as simple as "water based"...

From the MSD on Reno:

"Due to the solvents present, it is recommended that polyvinyl alcohol or nitrile rubber gloves be worn"
post #8578 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Rider,

With regard to Reno...again, I plead ignorance to the ingredients and don't claim any useful experience with it. But I can read (and often do smile.gif ), nevertheless it's not as simple as "water based"...

From the MSD on Reno:

"Due to the solvents present, it is recommended that polyvinyl alcohol or nitrile rubber gloves be worn"

Well I'll be.......I never noticed that. And I always spread it with my bare hands!! It's like a moisterizer!

Damn.....gotta ask about that.

Of course, Lexol Leather Conditioner msds says the same thing.........
Edited by RIDER - 3/25/14 at 1:21pm
post #8579 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Your boots are holding up excellently.

I just find the emulsion curious. FWIW, I like the Creme Universelle better. It seems to sink in better and be less of a "polish".

FWIW, I think reno is an excellent product for using a dab (like half the size of a pea) for swirling on the toe and heel over a wax polish to bring life back into the shine.

For the older shoes I was using whatever polish Barker Black was selling under their name brand. Saphir possibly. This was back in ~2006-ish.

As you can see in the pic from this weekend.....I use Creme Universelle mostly also - and Tarrago Balm as well.

We never made for Barker Black. If it was French it would have been Famaco, which is heavy stoddard solvent. If it was Japan (Columbus/Boot Black) their solvent is kerosene.
post #8580 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER View Post

Hi - Reno is a fantastic product.....what do you mean 'all this negativity' though? Just curious.

As for the actual usage, can you post a pic by chance? Trying to follow 'artificial wrinkling'.....and if you are seeing veins in the leather well, that would be the leather not the product.

Renovateur is a very gentle conditioner.....it's main active ingredient is cosmetic grade real Mink Oil - it's not a harsh cleaner by any means. It's completely natural with no chemicals or solvent (besides water, which is technically a solvent). And it is, despite some recent comments I've read here, mainly a conditioner. It's ridiculous to think that this product.....on the market since the 20's and used/sold by Hermes, John Lobb, C&J, Berluti, LV, JM Weston, Gucci and on and on, would be harmful to shoes or leathergoods. Hell, they even use it in the Louvre on ancient bookbindings from what I'm told.

Anyway, I'd love to be pointed to some negativity so I can see if it is educated comments, maybe someone who used it incorrectly so I can help, or simply people typing away the day without much to say........that or maybe someone who has had enough of incessant advertising (me too, and I'm the distributor! It's not my deal.....) has decided to kick it around just cuse -
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't like the stuff because of my experiences with it over the years. Pretty much all of my shoes that have seen the beloved reno treatment have died. I have some shoes that are much older that saw nothing but lexol in their earlier years are in better shape than the reno cared for shoes, which are all cracking.

I have my doubts on it being water based. If it is water based why is it a creamy emulsion with no separation? There's got to be some sort of solvent in there?

I don't believe the main ingredient is mink oil, it doesn't behave like mink oil at all when applied. It actually polishes up quite nicely, which in my experience isn't mink oil like at all.

I don't know how good a conditioner or a cleaner renovator is or what other better products for conditioning or cleaning are out there. But I have been using it on my shoes for a few years without any adverse effects. I have also recently started using GlennKaren cleaner /conditioner. I think GK is a good conditioner but a stronger cleaner compared to renovator. I base this simply on how much polish comes off when applying the GK product vs Renovator. With Renovator it cleans very little but GK is almost good in cleaning and removing layers of waxes like Renomat but in a more gentle way. Both the renovator ang GK cleaner have a place in my shoe maintenance program.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**