(Ordering a MTO shoe and want the back to be clean, no brogueing or anything like that, but don't know how to explain it)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 1/19/17 at 2:13pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 1/20/17 at 10:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Today at 7:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 5:49 pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 570post #8536 of 192823/21/14 at 7:43pmpost #8537 of 192823/21/14 at 7:48pmpost #8538 of 192823/21/14 at 8:01pmpost #8539 of 192823/21/14 at 8:05pmpost #8540 of 192823/23/14 at 8:45amBack to some refinishing work this weekend.....
Not sure what happened to the first pics, but these started out as a green color and I worked them over to mid brown with some highlights.....probably hard to see on a cell pic. Not sure why the product Juvacuir never really has been popular in our consumer selling - it's a very easy cream/dye combo that is great for doing some color variations - much easier than dye. But, anyway, the results were good on this one -post #8541 of 192823/23/14 at 11:34pm
I saw a blog post of a guy who dyed his sand suede shoes to a dark brown using Fiebings suede dye. Pretty cool.
So, I thought I should do this to my medium brown cap toe brogues and change the color to a NAVY! I already have dark brown suede chukkas.
Does anyone know how I would go about this without using a cobbler?
Thank youpost #8542 of 192823/24/14 at 11:40ampost #8543 of 192823/24/14 at 11:45ampost #8544 of 192823/24/14 at 12:35pmpost #8545 of 192823/24/14 at 12:36pmpost #8546 of 192823/24/14 at 12:55pm
What is the best way to go about restoring old, dry leather. The object is a vintage leather belt (I know this is a shoe care thread but I figured that it would be the best place to ask). It is made of very thick leather, 11-12 oz by my rough measurements, and has a lovely patina. But the leather is old, dry and quite stiff. When you bend the leather, these little micro cracks appear, much lighter than the rest of the leather. The cracks do not seem to go through the top grain but they do leave a bit of a crease. Oiling the leather helped a little, but not that much. I know just soaking it in oil is probably no a good option, are there any other products/methods that would help minimize the cracking and make the leather more supple?post #8547 of 192823/24/14 at 3:05pm
I found a pair of Allen Edmonds loafers that I like but there's some discoloration in the back. Crappy picture but you get the idea. Is there any way one can get rid of it? I have Lexol cleaner, Lexol conditioner, and a variety of Kiwi wax polishes with me.
Also, a general question regarding 'mirror shine'. All pictures that I've seen here and at other places have the mirror shine in the toe area, maybe at the sides but nowhere else. Is there a reason for this? Why not do it all the way up the shoe?
Thank you for this great thread!post #8548 of 192823/24/14 at 4:01pmFrom the photo, it looks like the finish has been rubbed off somewhat by hitting the shoe with the heel of the other shoe. And maybe those are just rubber marks. Will they come off? maybe...probably not...not entirely.
As for spit shining the whole shoe, any where the shoe flexes, even a little the spit shine will crack and the shine will be lost immediately. But worse the build-up of wax over flexing areas is bad for the leather and will cause cracking of the leather underneath.post #8549 of 192823/24/14 at 4:36pmpost #8550 of 192823/24/14 at 5:13pm
Followed the advice in the OP and I'm not 100% sure on the results. I've ordered a better horsehair brush and don't think a cut up cotton t-shirt is doing enough in terms of the shine.
Shoes are maybe 2 months old and have been worn 5 times. The image quality and light isn't great so they look a bit duller than they actually are. But still not great.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Suit too tight? 5 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 8 minutes ago
- › TOM FORD T Buckle Belt black Calf silver BNWT 9 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 12 minutes ago
- › Anyone ever hear of Cobbler Union? 15 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 19 minutes ago
- › The official John Elliott B&S&T thread 26 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 26 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...