Hi Sterling, No, they are calf leather. Thanks for your suggestions, I will give one of them a try!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:59 pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 1:54 am in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Yesterday at 7:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Yesterday at 1:52 am in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- Aren't technically almost all shoe leathers corrected grain?Last edited: 2/1/16
- I just got two pairs of Horween chromexcel boots (Boston Boot Co.)....Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 565post #8461 of 177023/14/14 at 11:50am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8462 of 177023/14/14 at 11:52amQuote:
Thanks. I think I'll go Lexol first, then Reno.post #8463 of 177023/14/14 at 12:24pmQuote:
It says "glycerin-enriched." Fiebings used to make a saddle soap that was a bar and it contained a lot of glycerin. Enough to leave a residue, in any case. That's the point. Tallow by itself is not necessarily bad for leather, nor is glycerin. But if you're cleaning your leather why would you want to leave a a residue on it that will immediately start collecting and holding grit?
As far as Lexol taking the colour off, Lexol will not do that any more than any other product out there...in other words any colour that Lexol removed was impermanent, in any case.
Saddle soap is made for...ahem, wait for it...saddles.post #8464 of 177023/14/14 at 1:15pmpost #8465 of 177023/14/14 at 1:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by Stirling
Munky, Firstly are they corrected grain? If so you can't do much.
If not using darker creams and polishes will take them down a notch or two. But don't be overly zealous, thin regular coats will get you a more even look, but it'll always be a lighter colour wherever the shoe creases. You could also apply a heavy conditioner, they are known to darken leather due to their fat/oil content.
yeah, I use black polish on my darker brown shoes for shine and antiquing.post #8466 of 177023/14/14 at 2:35pmpost #8467 of 177023/15/14 at 7:01ampost #8468 of 177023/15/14 at 5:05pmQuote:
Which shoe care products creams, waxes etc do you prefer/use?
I ask partly because of your location, not sure what's readily available in oz. I have memories of using a product called waproo once or twice.post #8469 of 177023/15/14 at 7:25pmpost #8470 of 177023/15/14 at 7:59pmpost #8471 of 177023/15/14 at 8:01pmpost #8472 of 177023/15/14 at 8:07pmpost #8473 of 177023/15/14 at 8:43pmpost #8474 of 177023/16/14 at 3:18am
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
Styleforum Top Picks
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...
Currently, there are 1539 Active Users (357 Members and 1182 Guests)
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 46 seconds ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 7 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging ... 10 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 11 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 11 minutes ago
- › NWT: Ermenegildo Zegna Unstructured Sport Jacket EU50R 14 minutes ago
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 21 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...