or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 558

post #8356 of 10200

Thanks, Patrick. What I was trying do, though, is understand whether or not it is good to use Lexol cleaner as well as Lexol conditioner. I have the latter and was wondering about the former. 

post #8357 of 10200
Lexol-ph is ph neutral soap that leaves no tallow or glycerin residue. It is a good cleaner...for dirt and loose wax . I do not think it should be thought of as something you'd use to strip off layers of wax or finish.

It is used like shampoo. You wet the shoe and using a wet sponge or a piece of hair-on sheepskin gently work up a lather. Rinse, let dry and apply a light conditioner of brown-bottle lexol.

Using the sponge or the sheepskin and gentle action I don't believe it is possible to remove finish with Lexol-ph. It is the "sudsing" action--foam--that lifts the dirt, not elbow grease.

Parenthetically a ph neutral baby shampoo such as "No More Tears" is just about the same thing.
post #8358 of 10200

Thanks, as always, DWF. I think I will give Lexol cleaner a miss. 

post #8359 of 10200
In general I don't really understand the need to "clean" shoes unless you're slopping around in the mud or something.
post #8360 of 10200

I just brush mine off after I wear them...even in dirt or some mud it generally cleans it off well...

post #8361 of 10200
I feel like anything minor conditioner, or cream polish takes care of during regular maintenance. I don't understand these people who need to slather so much stuff on their shoes. Two steps back one step forward, imo.
post #8362 of 10200
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I feel like anything minor conditioner, or cream polish takes care of during regular maintenance. I don't understand these people who need to slather so much stuff on their shoes. Two steps back one step forward, imo.

Totally agree, less is more in shoe care
post #8363 of 10200

I have two pairs of boots and would like to wear them more often than once or twice a week.  36 hours between wears, using shoe trees and newspaper.

 

Is a Peet boot dryer safe for leather boots like Beckmans/Iron Rangers or is it detrimental? 

 

Any drying tricks for frequent and heavy wear?

 

Thanks!


Edited by 7strung - 3/5/14 at 10:06pm
post #8364 of 10200
Does anyone use Saphir Crema Universaille as part of their routine shoe maintenance? Thoughts?
post #8365 of 10200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstomcat View Post

Does anyone use Saphir Crema Universaille as part of their routine shoe maintenance? Thoughts?

 

Ethandesu from the Armoury HK uses Crema Universaille as his conditioner.

post #8366 of 10200
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Hudson View Post

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75
These AE Fultons have some ripples that developed over time but are otherwise in great shape. They are a superb shoe in terms of comfort and wet weather grip, so I plan to wear them for many more years. My question is this: how should I go about preserving the leather when it is hard to get anything into and out of the textures that are all over the front half of the shoe (minus the top-cap). My routine involves a bit of reno and some creme, but the slight loss of colour where the leather is least flat (not evident in the picture) suggests that I'm not getting all the way into those grooves.
My God those are hideous. Sorry just had to say it. Sounds like you bought them used for $19 so no reason to take this offensively.
post #8367 of 10200

Good day!

Any ideas how to safe/restore the colour of those shoes? Right now there is a lot of brighter areas. What would you seggest, is there anything I can do?

 

 

@?@

 

@?@

 

@?@

 

best!

Tom

post #8368 of 10200

On the different types of Lexol - I was just curious about what the cleaner was for. Like those who responded, I don't seem to need to clean my shoes, just to give them a brushing before I wear them and before I use cream and/or polish on them. 

post #8369 of 10200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7strung View Post

I have two pairs of boots and would like to wear them more often than once or twice a week.  36 hours between wears, using shoe trees and newspaper.

Is a Peet boot dryer safe for leather boots like Beckmans/Iron Rangers or is it detrimental? 

Any drying tricks for frequent and heavy wear?

Thanks!
Don't use any drying agent other than naturally letting them dry at least 24 hours with trees in them. If you are wearing them often make sure you condition them more frequently around ever few weeks or so. Also make sure you brush them before you wear them to remove dirt or dust that can get trapped in the creases and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstomcat View Post

Does anyone use Saphir Crema Universaille as part of their routine shoe maintenance? Thoughts?
I have a bottle of it. IMO, it is a better conditioner than renovateur. It is thinner and sinks into the leather more rather than renovateur which acts more like a polish. That being said it doesn't produce as much of a gloss, which is probably good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

On the different types of Lexol - I was just curious about what the cleaner was for. Like those who responded, I don't seem to need to clean my shoes, just to give them a brushing before I wear them and before I use cream and/or polish on them. 
Lexol is generally marketed to the automotive and horse tack market. I would imagine saddles and tack to get very dirty where it would need a cleaner, same with leather seats in some pigsty cars.
post #8370 of 10200

Does anyone have experience of 'Duggers of London' shoes?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**