or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 535

post #8011 of 10200

Hi all,

 

I just bought a pair of Burgundy Shell Daltons from the AE seconds sale. It is clear that at least one reason that they were seconded was due to the significant difference in color between them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I much prefer the lighter color of the right boot and have searched around the internet enough to know that finish can be removed, but there's lots of conflicting advice out there.  I'm sure this has been discussed here before. Can someone point me toward the best products and techniques to use. I have AE Conditioner/cleaner at home.  Can I use that or should I stick with finding a Saphir product or something else?

 

Thanks very much in advance for any and all help.

post #8012 of 10200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph65 View Post
 

Hi all,

 

I just bought a pair of Burgundy Shell Daltons from the AE seconds sale. It is clear that at least one reason that they were seconded was due to the significant difference in color between them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I much prefer the lighter color of the right boot and have searched around the internet enough to know that finish can be removed, but there's lots of conflicting advice out there.  I'm sure this has been discussed here before. Can someone point me toward the best products and techniques to use. I have AE Conditioner/cleaner at home.  Can I use that or should I stick with finding a Saphir product or something else?

 

Thanks very much in advance for any and all help.

Saphir Renomat will do the trick. However, AE doesn't usually use a lot of finish on their boots

post #8013 of 10200
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrobit View Post
 

Saphir Renomat will do the trick. However, AE doesn't usually use a lot of finish on their boots

 

Thanks for the response.  I've read that Renomat can be harsh.  I shouldn't worry?  

 

Is there a gentler step that I can try first before moving on to the Renomat if necessary?

 

I don't want to screw this up...

 

 

 

 

post #8014 of 10200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph65 View Post
 

 

Thanks for the response.  I've read that Renomat can be harsh.  I shouldn't worry?  

 

Is there a gentler step that I can try first before moving on to the Renomat if necessary?

 

I don't want to screw this up...

 

 

 

 

It can be, and you could follow it up immediately with a conditioner.

 

You could try something like lexol. I don't know if removing the finish would even out the colour. It's likely a difference in the actual colour of the shell.

post #8015 of 10200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph65 View Post

Hi all,

I just bought a pair of Burgundy Shell Daltons from the AE seconds sale. It is clear that at least one reason that they were seconded was due to the significant difference in color between them.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)







I much prefer the lighter color of the right boot and have searched around the internet enough to know that finish can be removed, but there's lots of conflicting advice out there.  I'm sure this has been discussed here before. Can someone point me toward the best products and techniques to use. I have AE Conditioner/cleaner at home.  Can I use that or should I stick with finding a Saphir product or something else?

Thanks very much in advance for any and all help.

I doubt that the issue is the finish. Shell typically does not have much of a finish on it because it would defeat the concept of shell. And, I would never use RenoMat on shell, personally, for the same reason.

The difference in color is probably due to one of two things. 1) A different dye lot for the shell used for each boot, or more likely, 2) The lighter boot was on display (possibly near a window) and was lightened by UV over time, while the other boot remained in the box.

Although you like the lighter color, you will probably have greater success darkening the lighter boot to match the darker.
post #8016 of 10200

And @Murph65, in case you don't know, @glenjay really knows his stuff.  His input should be considered seriously.

post #8017 of 10200
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjay View Post

I doubt that the issue is the finish. Shell typically does not have much of a finish on it because it would defeat the concept of shell. And, I would never use RenoMat on shell, personally, for the same reason.

The difference in color is probably due to one of two things. 1) A different dye lot for the shell used for each boot, or more likely, 2) The lighter boot was on display (possibly near a window) and was lightened by UV over time, while the other boot remained in the box.

Although you like the lighter color, you will probably have greater success darkening the lighter boot to match the darker.

Glen,

There's another possibility...I got this straight from Nick Horween...If you cut say a quarter aligned one way on the shell and you cut the other quarter aligned another way, they will reflect light differently and one will look lighter than the other. Two quarters cut from two different shells even from the same dye lot will reflect light differently esp. if the alignment is different.
post #8018 of 10200

Not to sound repetitive, @Murph65, but there are some very knowledgeable folks on this thread, and Mr. DWFII is another one of them.  If my boot budget were larger, I would have a pair of boots made by him and I'm sure they'd be the best in my boot portfolio.  :nodding:

post #8019 of 10200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

Not to sound repetitive, @Murph65
, but there are some very knowledgeable folks on this thread, and Mr. DWFII is another one of them.  If my boot budget were larger, I would have a pair of boots made by him and I'm sure they'd be the best in my boot portfolio.  nod%5B1%5D.gif

Thanks for the kind words.

That said, Glenjay is the man when it comes to shoe care. I tried his Glenkaren product for the first time last year (even though he and I live about 20 miles apart) and there's no doubt in my mind that it's better than any other product out there.
post #8020 of 10200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Glen,

There's another possibility...I got this straight from Nick Horween...If you cut say a quarter aligned one way on the shell and you cut the other quarter aligned another way, they will reflect light differently and one will look lighter than the other. Two quarters cut from two different shells even from the same dye lot will reflect light differently esp. if the alignment is different.

Thanks DW, I hadn't considered the cut of the shell. That could certainly be a cause as well.
post #8021 of 10200
You could always just leave the darker shoe out in the sun// a windowsill for a while and it will eventually darken. (This will take months)
post #8022 of 10200

I'd just leave them as they are.

 

Shell is beautiful because its shell. Just roll with it and learn to love them.

post #8023 of 10200
Thanks for all the input guys.

This is the post that led me to believe that I might have some luck lightening:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/31380#post_6649473

Any further thoughts are appreciated.
post #8024 of 10200
Few quick questions guys. I'm still pretting new to polishing my own shoes and hitting a steep learning curve.

1. To save a little time tried dabbing some small spots of renovatuer on my tan shoes last night before rubbing in all over. Afterwards I noticed there was discoloration where the spots were. Is thus fixable or have I ruined my shoes? frown.gif

2. My first try at a glass shine. How many layers of wax do you usually need? And is it ok to do say 3-4 layers per day over a few days (without wearing the shoes obv) or will this not get me anywhere?

3. Ah also. Once I reach the stage where I am polishing with wax+water, should I still be leaving the shoe to dry for bit between each layer? And should I buff after adding each layer or just on the last coat?

Thanks in advance
Edited by ovlov - 2/9/14 at 9:24pm
post #8025 of 10200

Are vibram heels one of the best in the shoe industry? Are they better than the standard heels used in formal allen edmond shoes such as the Park avenue?  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**