Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 3:15 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 9:28 am in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Yesterday at 10:26 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 4:09 am in Classic Menswear
What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want with Saphir cream polish?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 476post #7126 of 1774410/26/13 at 9:25am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7127 of 1774410/26/13 at 9:43ampost #7128 of 1774410/26/13 at 9:58ampost #7129 of 1774410/26/13 at 10:22ampost #7130 of 1774410/26/13 at 1:54pmpost #7131 of 1774410/26/13 at 1:58pmpost #7132 of 1774410/26/13 at 3:57pmpost #7133 of 1774410/26/13 at 4:38pmpost #7134 of 1774410/26/13 at 5:34pmQuote:
The reason I posted about your problem jvc44 was that the same thing happened to
me on a new pair of cigar Indy boots . The coating began to flake in the creases. In an attempt to alleviate this I applied saphir cordo cream to the area which promptly removed the finish leaving it dull . Unlike yourself rather than doing the wise thing and sending them back to Alden I removed the coating with renomat and b,b,&bd' them back to a shine . Here is a pic a couple months later they're not quite so red as they appear in the pic
Edited by englade321 - 10/26/13 at 5:57pmpost #7135 of 1774410/26/13 at 6:02pmQuote:Alden laces are pretty thin but they do fray in speed hooks . I hear Alden will send you a pair for the asking . I wouldn't suggest you tell them they are for a pair of Carminas thoughOriginally Posted by justinkapur
So I have a pair of Carmina shell bal boots that have speed hooks. The speed hooks keep ripping the laces. I have tried multiple boot laces but cant get them to move through the eyelets because they are much heavier and bigger. So what I need is some thin boot laces. Any suggestions???post #7136 of 1774410/26/13 at 6:16pmQuote:
Actually, shell cordovan is generally marketed specifically for bad weather. Back when the business was more traditional than it is now, we would only bring shell shoes in to stock for Fall and Winter, and be done with them by March (Washington DC business district shop). We always sold shell tassel slip-ons as 'the winter weather version' of the year round calf version.post #7137 of 1774410/26/13 at 6:20pmQuote:
I was in an Alden store and they showed me what they had. They have flat laces but these boots need round laces for sure.post #7138 of 1774410/27/13 at 4:01amQuote:Originally Posted by RIDERQuote:
Actually, shell cordovan is generally marketed specifically for bad weather. Back when the business was more traditional than it is now, we would only bring shell shoes in to stock for Fall and Winter, and be done with them by March (Washington DC business district shop). We always sold shell tassel slip-ons as 'the winter weather version' of the year round calf version.
Wore my shell gunboats in the typhoon yesterday didn't even give them a wipe when I got home, today look perfect.post #7139 of 1774410/27/13 at 7:00am
You are not completely right in your account of Dr Marten's shoes. The boots version became popular, soon after they were first made, in the 1960s, in the UK. They were the favoured boots for Skinheads at the time. They went a bit quite for a couple of decades and began to be popular, again, in the 1990s.
Also, the goodyear welted, shoes aren't limited to their most expensive items. You can pay over £300 for a pair of DM's but I have three pairs, at around £100 a pair that are all described as goodyear welted.
It is interesting that you suggest that there is little or nothing in the making of DM's hat resembles what is usually expected of goodyear welting. Aren't there patents covering this sort of thing and couldn't Dr Marten's be sued for use of a name, and/or for false advertising?
Thanks, again, for your very helpful information.
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
- Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want with Saphir cream polish?
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 3 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Wings + Horns Dayton Service Boot (8.5) 8 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 10 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?