Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 7:56 pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 7/22/15 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 8/1/15 at 7:13pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on Today at 7:35 am in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Yesterday at 1:01 pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)Last edited: 12/11/12
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 476post #7126 of 1638810/26/13 at 9:25am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7127 of 1638810/26/13 at 9:43ampost #7128 of 1638810/26/13 at 9:58ampost #7129 of 1638810/26/13 at 10:22ampost #7130 of 1638810/26/13 at 1:54pmpost #7131 of 1638810/26/13 at 1:58pmpost #7132 of 1638810/26/13 at 3:57pmpost #7133 of 1638810/26/13 at 4:38pmpost #7134 of 1638810/26/13 at 5:34pmQuote:
The reason I posted about your problem jvc44 was that the same thing happened to
me on a new pair of cigar Indy boots . The coating began to flake in the creases. In an attempt to alleviate this I applied saphir cordo cream to the area which promptly removed the finish leaving it dull . Unlike yourself rather than doing the wise thing and sending them back to Alden I removed the coating with renomat and b,b,&bd' them back to a shine . Here is a pic a couple months later they're not quite so red as they appear in the pic
Edited by englade321 - 10/26/13 at 5:57pmpost #7135 of 1638810/26/13 at 6:02pmQuote:Alden laces are pretty thin but they do fray in speed hooks . I hear Alden will send you a pair for the asking . I wouldn't suggest you tell them they are for a pair of Carminas thoughOriginally Posted by justinkapur
So I have a pair of Carmina shell bal boots that have speed hooks. The speed hooks keep ripping the laces. I have tried multiple boot laces but cant get them to move through the eyelets because they are much heavier and bigger. So what I need is some thin boot laces. Any suggestions???post #7136 of 1638810/26/13 at 6:16pmQuote:
Actually, shell cordovan is generally marketed specifically for bad weather. Back when the business was more traditional than it is now, we would only bring shell shoes in to stock for Fall and Winter, and be done with them by March (Washington DC business district shop). We always sold shell tassel slip-ons as 'the winter weather version' of the year round calf version.post #7137 of 1638810/26/13 at 6:20pmQuote:
I was in an Alden store and they showed me what they had. They have flat laces but these boots need round laces for sure.post #7138 of 1638810/27/13 at 4:01amQuote:Originally Posted by RIDERQuote:
Actually, shell cordovan is generally marketed specifically for bad weather. Back when the business was more traditional than it is now, we would only bring shell shoes in to stock for Fall and Winter, and be done with them by March (Washington DC business district shop). We always sold shell tassel slip-ons as 'the winter weather version' of the year round calf version.
Wore my shell gunboats in the typhoon yesterday didn't even give them a wipe when I got home, today look perfect.post #7139 of 1638810/27/13 at 7:00am
You are not completely right in your account of Dr Marten's shoes. The boots version became popular, soon after they were first made, in the 1960s, in the UK. They were the favoured boots for Skinheads at the time. They went a bit quite for a couple of decades and began to be popular, again, in the 1990s.
Also, the goodyear welted, shoes aren't limited to their most expensive items. You can pay over £300 for a pair of DM's but I have three pairs, at around £100 a pair that are all described as goodyear welted.
It is interesting that you suggest that there is little or nothing in the making of DM's hat resembles what is usually expected of goodyear welting. Aren't there patents covering this sort of thing and couldn't Dr Marten's be sued for use of a name, and/or for false advertising?
Thanks, again, for your very helpful information.
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Latest Point and Shoot Cameras 24 seconds ago
- › Church's Ely Chelsea Boot (Black) 7.5 F 1 minute ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › A Visit to BRIO Beijing 1 minute ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 3 minutes ago
- › MC General Chat 3 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Dress in Academia 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...