Many thanks, Ben! I appreciate yours and Patrick's advice. Not sure that I will be sniffing Saphir any time soon!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCarminatagged by JenniferO, 8/6/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- categoryPull On Boots Chelsea Bootstagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Caretagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- Sole Welting Last post on 2/28/15 at 7:28pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 11:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More Last post on Today at 9:31 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 9:18 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:20 am in Classic Menswear
Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)
Last edited: 12/11/12
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 375post #5611 of 138766/14/13 at 9:05am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5612 of 138766/14/13 at 9:08ampost #5613 of 138766/14/13 at 9:27ampost #5614 of 138766/14/13 at 10:55ampost #5615 of 138766/14/13 at 12:19pmpost #5616 of 138766/14/13 at 3:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Munky
My apologies, Ben, for suggesting that Reno contains turpentine. After looking again, like you, I can find no mention of turpentine. I can only find it in cream and wax.
Given that I have real problems using Saphir products because of the 'side effects' they cause me, can anyone advise me of other, high quality preparations that are pretty much equal to Saphir ones? And ones that are likely to be available in the UK. I am looking for alternatives for Reno, shoe cream and shoe wax.
My wife has suggested my getting an industrial face mask.
I have no personal experience with it, but if you worry about the contents in shoe care products, you could try glenjay's stuff:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/336296/all-natural-non-toxic-shoe-polishpost #5617 of 138766/14/13 at 11:53pmpost #5618 of 138766/15/13 at 1:30ampost #5619 of 138766/15/13 at 1:43amRecently someone was trying to bring their tassel loafers back into condition, and I offered some basic advice. However, I just recently came across a thing called the Tassel Mate (http://www.tasselmate.com/). It looks pretty interesting, so I thought I would share it here.
I'm going to get a set and try it out.post #5620 of 138766/15/13 at 2:07ampost #5621 of 138766/15/13 at 3:02ampost #5622 of 138766/15/13 at 3:07amQuote:
The international shipping prices are:
1 to 4 Jars $25.00
5 to 7 Jars $35.00
8 to 12 Jars $60.00
13 and up $80.00
So if you are buying one or two jars the shipping is a pretty large percentage of the cost.post #5623 of 138766/15/13 at 7:19ampost #5624 of 138766/15/13 at 7:25ampost #5625 of 138766/15/13 at 7:32amActually, the cost of International shipping virtually all shoe care products is/should be cost prohibitive......it is illegal to ship any class 3 or class 4 flammable via government Post. It's really amazing to me how sellers have little regard for these regulations. I have routinely issued notices to our US sellers warning/explaining the shipping rules, which I have noticed are generally followed (I can't insist on anything.....following rules is their responsibility) but the fines and potential legal issues are quite severe if the one 'offering for transport' outside of regulations gets nicked. Further, the shipper has one set of responsibilities, but the 'importer of record' also is responsible to know what can, and what cannot. be imported here. I imagine the chances of a fine are miniscule, but they are there none the less.
Importing by commercial shippers is not a problem, the shipper simply has to fill out about 60 pages of paperwork (only a slight exaggeration) and make sure they have the correct labeling of the boxes.
In sum, the UK/EU sellers you see here, and elsewhere online, offering shoe care for International transport are either not aware, or are disregarding, shipping and labeling regulations.
To further complicate it, even shoe brushes, boxes, etc., are very complicated (expensive) to ship Internationally, due to the regulations of following the Lacey Act.
Then, of course, if you are shipping to California, you have to be in compliance with Prop 65 regs.
One thing for sure, if I were outside of the US and trying to sell here, I would throw any order from CA right in the trash.....it's one thing to assume a government agency can be fooled, but I wouldn't mess with Prop 65 and CA.
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
Styleforum Top Picks
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12
Currently, there are 1126 Active Users (199 Members and 927 Guests)
- › Love $ Black Magic मुस्किल से मुस्किल समस्याओ का पक्का समाधान... 1 minute ago
- › The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... 4 minutes ago
- › Get Your Love Back !!!!Online Vashikaran !!!! Specialist... 7 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 9 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 9 minutes ago
- › %^%Get your ex back in life Childless problem... 11 minutes ago
- › Italy Trip. 14 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 15 minutes ago
- › Get Help Of World Famous Vashikaran Specialist +91-9815884889 15 minutes ago
- › Bourbon. 17 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...