Many thanks, Ben! I appreciate yours and Patrick's advice. Not sure that I will be sniffing Saphir any time soon!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:01 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 8:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Yesterday at 7:55 am in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on 3/22/17 at 9:17am in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 375post #5611 of 198436/14/13 at 9:05ampost #5612 of 198436/14/13 at 9:08ampost #5613 of 198436/14/13 at 9:27ampost #5614 of 198436/14/13 at 10:55ampost #5615 of 198436/14/13 at 12:19pmpost #5616 of 198436/14/13 at 3:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Munky
My apologies, Ben, for suggesting that Reno contains turpentine. After looking again, like you, I can find no mention of turpentine. I can only find it in cream and wax.
Given that I have real problems using Saphir products because of the 'side effects' they cause me, can anyone advise me of other, high quality preparations that are pretty much equal to Saphir ones? And ones that are likely to be available in the UK. I am looking for alternatives for Reno, shoe cream and shoe wax.
My wife has suggested my getting an industrial face mask.
I have no personal experience with it, but if you worry about the contents in shoe care products, you could try glenjay's stuff:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/336296/all-natural-non-toxic-shoe-polishpost #5617 of 198436/14/13 at 11:53pmpost #5618 of 198436/15/13 at 1:30ampost #5619 of 198436/15/13 at 1:43amRecently someone was trying to bring their tassel loafers back into condition, and I offered some basic advice. However, I just recently came across a thing called the Tassel Mate (http://www.tasselmate.com/). It looks pretty interesting, so I thought I would share it here.
I'm going to get a set and try it out.post #5620 of 198436/15/13 at 2:07ampost #5621 of 198436/15/13 at 3:02ampost #5622 of 198436/15/13 at 3:07amQuote:
The international shipping prices are:
1 to 4 Jars $25.00
5 to 7 Jars $35.00
8 to 12 Jars $60.00
13 and up $80.00
So if you are buying one or two jars the shipping is a pretty large percentage of the cost.post #5623 of 198436/15/13 at 7:19ampost #5624 of 198436/15/13 at 7:25ampost #5625 of 198436/15/13 at 7:32amActually, the cost of International shipping virtually all shoe care products is/should be cost prohibitive......it is illegal to ship any class 3 or class 4 flammable via government Post. It's really amazing to me how sellers have little regard for these regulations. I have routinely issued notices to our US sellers warning/explaining the shipping rules, which I have noticed are generally followed (I can't insist on anything.....following rules is their responsibility) but the fines and potential legal issues are quite severe if the one 'offering for transport' outside of regulations gets nicked. Further, the shipper has one set of responsibilities, but the 'importer of record' also is responsible to know what can, and what cannot. be imported here. I imagine the chances of a fine are miniscule, but they are there none the less.
Importing by commercial shippers is not a problem, the shipper simply has to fill out about 60 pages of paperwork (only a slight exaggeration) and make sure they have the correct labeling of the boxes.
In sum, the UK/EU sellers you see here, and elsewhere online, offering shoe care for International transport are either not aware, or are disregarding, shipping and labeling regulations.
To further complicate it, even shoe brushes, boxes, etc., are very complicated (expensive) to ship Internationally, due to the regulations of following the Lacey Act.
Then, of course, if you are shipping to California, you have to be in compliance with Prop 65 regs.
One thing for sure, if I were outside of the US and trying to sell here, I would throw any order from CA right in the trash.....it's one thing to assume a government agency can be fooled, but I wouldn't mess with Prop 65 and CA.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Currently, there are 1740 Active Users (337 Members and 1403 Guests)
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 seconds ago
- › The best value vendors I've found so far 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Lots of Sartoria Partenopea on ebay these days 3 minutes ago
- › Alan David NYC Tailor 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 10 minutes ago
- › Newc's Bespoke Adventure. 10 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...