Many thanks, Ben! I appreciate yours and Patrick's advice. Not sure that I will be sniffing Saphir any time soon!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sole Welting Last post on 10/13/14 at 5:57pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 6:02 am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 1:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- Price drop: Carmina Burgundy Adelaides 11.5UK Last post on 8/6/14 at 2:04am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II Last post on Today at 3:43 pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)
Last edited: 12/11/12
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 375post #5611 of 112956/14/13 at 9:05am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5612 of 112956/14/13 at 9:08ampost #5613 of 112956/14/13 at 9:27ampost #5614 of 112956/14/13 at 10:55ampost #5615 of 112956/14/13 at 12:19pmpost #5616 of 112956/14/13 at 3:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Munky
My apologies, Ben, for suggesting that Reno contains turpentine. After looking again, like you, I can find no mention of turpentine. I can only find it in cream and wax.
Given that I have real problems using Saphir products because of the 'side effects' they cause me, can anyone advise me of other, high quality preparations that are pretty much equal to Saphir ones? And ones that are likely to be available in the UK. I am looking for alternatives for Reno, shoe cream and shoe wax.
My wife has suggested my getting an industrial face mask.
I have no personal experience with it, but if you worry about the contents in shoe care products, you could try glenjay's stuff:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/336296/all-natural-non-toxic-shoe-polishpost #5617 of 112956/14/13 at 11:53pmpost #5618 of 112956/15/13 at 1:30ampost #5619 of 112956/15/13 at 1:43amRecently someone was trying to bring their tassel loafers back into condition, and I offered some basic advice. However, I just recently came across a thing called the Tassel Mate (http://www.tasselmate.com/). It looks pretty interesting, so I thought I would share it here.
I'm going to get a set and try it out.post #5620 of 112956/15/13 at 2:07ampost #5621 of 112956/15/13 at 3:02ampost #5622 of 112956/15/13 at 3:07amQuote:
The international shipping prices are:
1 to 4 Jars $25.00
5 to 7 Jars $35.00
8 to 12 Jars $60.00
13 and up $80.00
So if you are buying one or two jars the shipping is a pretty large percentage of the cost.post #5623 of 112956/15/13 at 7:19ampost #5624 of 112956/15/13 at 7:25ampost #5625 of 112956/15/13 at 7:32amActually, the cost of International shipping virtually all shoe care products is/should be cost prohibitive......it is illegal to ship any class 3 or class 4 flammable via government Post. It's really amazing to me how sellers have little regard for these regulations. I have routinely issued notices to our US sellers warning/explaining the shipping rules, which I have noticed are generally followed (I can't insist on anything.....following rules is their responsibility) but the fines and potential legal issues are quite severe if the one 'offering for transport' outside of regulations gets nicked. Further, the shipper has one set of responsibilities, but the 'importer of record' also is responsible to know what can, and what cannot. be imported here. I imagine the chances of a fine are miniscule, but they are there none the less.
Importing by commercial shippers is not a problem, the shipper simply has to fill out about 60 pages of paperwork (only a slight exaggeration) and make sure they have the correct labeling of the boxes.
In sum, the UK/EU sellers you see here, and elsewhere online, offering shoe care for International transport are either not aware, or are disregarding, shipping and labeling regulations.
To further complicate it, even shoe brushes, boxes, etc., are very complicated (expensive) to ship Internationally, due to the regulations of following the Lacey Act.
Then, of course, if you are shipping to California, you have to be in compliance with Prop 65 regs.
One thing for sure, if I were outside of the US and trying to sell here, I would throw any order from CA right in the trash.....it's one thing to assume a government agency can be fooled, but I wouldn't mess with Prop 65 and CA.
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12
Currently, there are 1497 Active Users (353 Members and 1144 Guests)
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 seconds ago
- › French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 2 minutes ago
- › New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups 3 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 5 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 7 minutes ago
- › [Price drop 10/25] STEPHAN SCHNEIDER Dark blue wool blouson - size 4 8 minutes ago
- › [Price Drop 10/25] STEPHAN SCHNEIDER Green cotton jacket - sz.4 10 minutes ago
- › [Price Drop 10/25] DRIES VAN NOTEN Midnight blue lightweight coat... 11 minutes ago
- › [Price Drop 10/25] DRIES VAN NOTEN Linen coat - sz.52/54 12 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...