Many thanks, Ben! I appreciate yours and Patrick's advice. Not sure that I will be sniffing Saphir any time soon!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:27 pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 7/22/15 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 7/27/15 at 1:53pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:30 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Yesterday at 8:53 pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)Last edited: 12/11/12
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 375post #5611 of 163696/14/13 at 9:05am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5612 of 163696/14/13 at 9:08ampost #5613 of 163696/14/13 at 9:27ampost #5614 of 163696/14/13 at 10:55ampost #5615 of 163696/14/13 at 12:19pmpost #5616 of 163696/14/13 at 3:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Munky
My apologies, Ben, for suggesting that Reno contains turpentine. After looking again, like you, I can find no mention of turpentine. I can only find it in cream and wax.
Given that I have real problems using Saphir products because of the 'side effects' they cause me, can anyone advise me of other, high quality preparations that are pretty much equal to Saphir ones? And ones that are likely to be available in the UK. I am looking for alternatives for Reno, shoe cream and shoe wax.
My wife has suggested my getting an industrial face mask.
I have no personal experience with it, but if you worry about the contents in shoe care products, you could try glenjay's stuff:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/336296/all-natural-non-toxic-shoe-polishpost #5617 of 163696/14/13 at 11:53pmpost #5618 of 163696/15/13 at 1:30ampost #5619 of 163696/15/13 at 1:43amRecently someone was trying to bring their tassel loafers back into condition, and I offered some basic advice. However, I just recently came across a thing called the Tassel Mate (http://www.tasselmate.com/). It looks pretty interesting, so I thought I would share it here.
I'm going to get a set and try it out.post #5620 of 163696/15/13 at 2:07ampost #5621 of 163696/15/13 at 3:02ampost #5622 of 163696/15/13 at 3:07amQuote:
The international shipping prices are:
1 to 4 Jars $25.00
5 to 7 Jars $35.00
8 to 12 Jars $60.00
13 and up $80.00
So if you are buying one or two jars the shipping is a pretty large percentage of the cost.post #5623 of 163696/15/13 at 7:19ampost #5624 of 163696/15/13 at 7:25ampost #5625 of 163696/15/13 at 7:32amActually, the cost of International shipping virtually all shoe care products is/should be cost prohibitive......it is illegal to ship any class 3 or class 4 flammable via government Post. It's really amazing to me how sellers have little regard for these regulations. I have routinely issued notices to our US sellers warning/explaining the shipping rules, which I have noticed are generally followed (I can't insist on anything.....following rules is their responsibility) but the fines and potential legal issues are quite severe if the one 'offering for transport' outside of regulations gets nicked. Further, the shipper has one set of responsibilities, but the 'importer of record' also is responsible to know what can, and what cannot. be imported here. I imagine the chances of a fine are miniscule, but they are there none the less.
Importing by commercial shippers is not a problem, the shipper simply has to fill out about 60 pages of paperwork (only a slight exaggeration) and make sure they have the correct labeling of the boxes.
In sum, the UK/EU sellers you see here, and elsewhere online, offering shoe care for International transport are either not aware, or are disregarding, shipping and labeling regulations.
To further complicate it, even shoe brushes, boxes, etc., are very complicated (expensive) to ship Internationally, due to the regulations of following the Lacey Act.
Then, of course, if you are shipping to California, you have to be in compliance with Prop 65 regs.
One thing for sure, if I were outside of the US and trying to sell here, I would throw any order from CA right in the trash.....it's one thing to assume a government agency can be fooled, but I wouldn't mess with Prop 65 and CA.
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
Currently, there are 1449 Active Users (270 Members and 1179 Guests)
- › STEVE ALAN wool lined Waxed cotton Deck Jacket M 8 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 52 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 4 minutes ago
- › Burberry Brit or Rag and Bone? 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 8 minutes ago
- › French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and... 9 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 9 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 11 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...