or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 372

post #5566 of 10607
in before David starts quoting 11 step approach biggrin.gif


NeedStyleHelp, there is only one answer for you you, you need to experiment. You were right reading this thread causes headaches but that is because shoe care is more art than science. So you have two pair of shoes start experimenting using neutral cream on one, the pigmented cream on other and see what results will be and then report to us. That is the purpose of this thread.
post #5567 of 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Copeland View Post

It has been said that the Saphir Wax is the final application to seal the Saphir Cream.  The OP mentioned he used Reno and Wax.  Not sure if he used Reno, then cream, then wax as a 3-step process (which is recommended on Saphir sites.  However, the Saphir sites suggest the weather product to be added after the was step.  That makes 4-steps when considering potential rain days.

If anyone is happy with Kiwi, then stay with it.  But there is ample testimonials from others have enjoyed a much better satin or waxed shine using Saphir products.  And if one more item is available for adverse weather, I see not issue with investing $13 to product the work.

Working for a living us interfering with my keeping up with this blog.

I have rarely used cream. Can't seem to avoid it rubbing off on my pants. I know j need more work on this.

Mostly Reno then wax, with touch ups of Reno
now and then.

BTW also did an old briefcase on Reno to restore it, and when it gets wet it gets blotchy too. Will stick with lexol from now on (me and you Patrick)
post #5568 of 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer View Post

in before David starts quoting 11 step approach biggrin.gif


NeedStyleHelp, there is only one answer for you you, you need to experiment. You were right reading this thread causes headaches but that is because shoe care is more art than science. So you have two pair of shoes start experimenting using neutral cream on one, the pigmented cream on other and see what results will be and then report to us. That is the purpose of this thread.

Thanks for the tip, laufer! 


If you don't mind answering, what is the difference between the saphir neutral cream, and the rennovateur?

 

Appreciate it!

post #5569 of 10607
Honestly I do not know anymore smile.gif
post #5570 of 10607
A lot of other kinds of oils including mink oil and a lot more shea butter. Ron Rider's blog had a lot of the ingredients a while back. Reno is more conditioning, in a nutshell. Allegedly at least.
post #5571 of 10607

Does anyone else react badly to the inclusion of turpentine in Saphir products?  If I use them in the house, I experience sore eyes, dry mouth and olfactory problems. Typically, my sense of smell is affected for quite some time after using the products and I can 'smell' turpentine for a long time after. My hands are also made very dry by the products. The only way to help sort out most of these problems is for me to use the products outside. Given that I live in a cold, dark and wet country, this is not always practical!

post #5572 of 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

Does anyone else react badly to the inclusion of turpentine in Saphir products?  If I use them in the house, I experience sore eyes, dry mouth and olfactory problems. Typically, my sense of smell is affected for quite some time after using the products and I can 'smell' turpentine for a long time after. My hands are also made very dry by the products. The only way to help sort out most of these problems is for me to use the products outside. Given that I live in a cold, dark and wet country, this is not always practical!

 turpentine (distiled from pine tree) is used as a solvent to the wax's!some other brands uses naptha(i think is more agressive)! renovateur,cream uneverselle  ,napa mdo  cream polish has no turpentine in them as far as i know!!

 

i never had any problem with turpentine and believe me most of the time i polish my shoes it gets through the cloth ,on my hands!!no dryness no skin-eye iritation!! i dont think the problem is on turpentine! maybe combined with the cold weather it makes your hands dry!!

post #5573 of 10607
There are some pretty bad effects one can get from long term exposure to turpentine, but I haven't had immediate affects.

Reno and wax and cream polishes by Saphir do have turpentine in them. The only one that doesn't is the shell cordovan cream and napa mdo. Other shoe polishes use predominately naptha like Ben said, and also stoddard solvent, which is much more harsh.
post #5574 of 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

There are some pretty bad effects one can get from long term exposure to turpentine, but I haven't had immediate affects.

Reno and wax and cream polishes by Saphir do have turpentine in them. The only one that doesn't is the shell cordovan cream and napa mdo. Other shoe polishes use predominately naptha like Ben said, and also stoddard solvent, which is much more harsh.

Patrick i searched a little about it!! you are right on the first one!! you have to be exposed to turpentine for really long time to have sideefects but nowhere mentioned immediate ones!! never had any problems with it!! maybe munky you are a little more sensitive to that!!

 

renovauter is Aqueous formula(mentioned at valmour-AVEL site)(if i remember correctly from chemistry course at university that means no other solvent) !!there is no turpentine in it,havent found anywhere mentioning tha it has !!btw cordovan cream has turpentine !!

post #5575 of 10607
I think you are incorrect, Ben on Reno and Cordovan Cream. The whole point of cordovan cream is it doesn't contain turpentine because they claim it makes shell swell. They include neatsfoot oil in its stead. You might be confusing shell cordovan cream with the color cordovan cream polish. I don't think Saphir calling reno an aqueous formula has anything to do with proper chemistry, I think it is just their way of saying it is creamy and not solid. I am 99.9% sure reno has turpentine in it. If you go back to Ron Rider's posts he asserts the turpentine is what makes Saphir products stand out.
post #5576 of 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhour View Post

Patrick i searched a little about it!! you are right on the first one!! you have to be exposed to turpentine for really long time to have sideefects but nowhere mentioned immediate ones!! never had any problems with it!! maybe munky you are a little more sensitive to that!!

renovauter is Aqueous formula(mentioned at valmour-AVEL site)(if i remember correctly from chemistry course at university that means no other solvent) !!there is no turpentine in it,havent found anywhere mentioning tha it has !!btw cordovan cream has turpentine !!

Are you sure? I see that AFPOS says it contains it, while Hanger Projet says it does not.
post #5577 of 10607
I think a lot of these sites just say things without being well informed themselves. To the lay person fancy words woo and wow them. I am 99.9% sure I am correct on all of this. Maybe somebody can PM Ron for more info.
post #5578 of 10607

Thank you both for these useful comments. I have understood, for some time,  (as Patrick has said) that Reno, Saphir cream and polish all contain turpentine. It is that, I would imagine, that gives them the strong smell that they have. Without other members, here, describing the 'side effects' that I experience, I now wonder if I am experiencing an allergy to turpentine. However,  I have read about similar problems to the ones I described, on pages to do with the use of turpentine by artists. Also turpentine has medical applications. 

 

I think it is time for me to buy an extra-large umbrella.

post #5579 of 10607

'A Fine Pair of Shoes', who supply most of the Saphir products, here in the UK describe Saphir Reno, wax and cream as containing 'Natural Turpentine Oil'. I appreciate that they may be wrong, but if they are, they are consistently wrong, in that they mention NTO so often in product descriptions!

post #5580 of 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I think you are incorrect, Ben on Reno and Cordovan Cream. The whole point of cordovan cream is it doesn't contain turpentine because they claim it makes shell swell. They include neatsfoot oil in its stead. You might be confusing shell cordovan cream with the color cordovan cream polish. I don't think Saphir calling reno an aqueous formula has anything to do with proper chemistry, I think it is just their way of saying it is creamy and not solid. I am 99.9% sure reno has turpentine in it. If you go back to Ron Rider's posts he asserts the turpentine is what makes Saphir products stand out.

i dont think avel-saphir will tell to anyone of us the ingredients of renovateur especially when this is their best selling product!! i cant be sure!!! the only thing i can say is that turpentine has a really caracteristic smell!!if you take a turpentine jar from Winsor&Newton(i paint from time to time hahahaha rotflmao.gif) and smell it you ll see it smells like wax and cream polish of saphir!!this smell covers every other smell!!

 

now if you smell renovateur and cream universelle(renovateur is a little stronger) you ll see they smell the same!! and no trace of turpentine's smell! and watching the "aqueous formula" i tend to believe there is no turpentine in it!!! ofcourse and i cant be 100%sure cause i dont make this thing if Mr Rider could ask Avel about that it would be enlighting

 

''You might be confusing shell cordovan cream with the color cordovan cream polish'' i am refering on the product i post a link below!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfn View Post


Are you sure? I see that AFPOS says it contains it, while Hanger Projet says it does not.

i cant be 100% sure on these things cause i dont make it!!!happy.gif the only thing i can post is what the oficial reseler here sawed me and i have seen it on an other sait sells saphir products!! i have never used it so icant say if it smells like turpentine or not!!

-      CORDOVAN CREAM POLISH - An all-natural cream polish based on beeswax, turpentine, and carnauba with six other nutrient waxes and twice the amount of pigment of ordinary polishes. The cream polish has a higher concentration of pigments than other polishes and is exceptional for restoring finishes and achieving soft polishes. It is the perfect treatment for your cordovan leather shoes. Apply by massaging gently into the leather and polishing off.

refering on that http://www.avel.com/product-details-cordovan-cream,436 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I think a lot of these sites just say things without being well informed themselves.

that is totally true and agree 100%

 

edit: i was remembering that i have already read about it in this thread in the past and seartching for it and just found it!!! is on page 93!!  it says what i said in that post! renovateur doesnt have turpentine and cordovan has but in lower amount than the cream 1925 mdo of saphir


Edited by benhour - 6/13/13 at 10:11am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**