Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 10:59 pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 11/12/15 at 5:07pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:24 am in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Yesterday at 7:44 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Yesterday at 4:50 pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn StyleLast edited: 10/14/15
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 38
Styleforum Top Pickspost #557 of 1722711/21/11 at 4:16pmpost #558 of 1722711/21/11 at 5:12pmpost #559 of 1722711/22/11 at 7:06ampost #560 of 1722711/22/11 at 7:22ampost #561 of 1722711/22/11 at 7:32am
Can somebody explain the comparative merits and differences betwean Sno Seal and Obenauf's LP? It's getting to be about time to winterize my leather boots and I am wondering if the LP can stand fast on its own as a waterproofer. Also, should polish be removed before applying either of these?
Edit: PS - Obenauf's is offering $5 off any order over $25 this month with the code "5555." Just picked up the combination package with the LP, oil and waterproofer. $35 shipped.
Edited by BostonHedonist - 11/22/11 at 8:19ampost #562 of 1722711/22/11 at 8:06ampost #563 of 1722711/22/11 at 8:28amQuote:
Sno-Seal's website says it is beeswax based and contains no silicone. http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html
I wouldn't apply it to my nicer shoes, but I've used it on my clark's desert boots and it made them nice and waterproof. Significantly darkened the leather though.post #564 of 1722711/22/11 at 8:49ampost #565 of 1722711/22/11 at 9:18am
Kirby's website has a nice collection of Saphir and LCA shoe kits....
but for something more unusual from Japan.....
The Japanese trunkmaker TIME VOYAGER makes this nice Shoe-care trunk. MTO with choice of colors in vulcan fiber. Priced at 31,500 yen, or 400 USD. Doesn't include brushes and polishes (but sure fits them well) . You can order it at the Trading Post at Aoyama, Tokyo.
This one is a bit overboard: an all-in-one Shoecare kit/trunk, with Bootblack shoecare products (Japanese equivalent to Saphir), custom black Edoya brushes, and a leather trunk by Bespoke trunk maker Tsuchino. a whopping 315,000 yen, yes, 4,000 USD.
but with that kind of money, you may opt for something exquisitely French like Epthee insteadpost #566 of 1722711/22/11 at 9:27ampost #567 of 1722711/22/11 at 9:29ampost #568 of 1722711/22/11 at 10:36ampost #569 of 1722711/25/11 at 10:43pmQuote:
I know, but I was hoping to somehow circumvent that, since these are the only things that I have right now that function as "dress" shoes.
I'm not familiar with that term. Plz to explain.
What "proper stuff for boots" is?post #570 of 1722711/26/11 at 12:15amQuote:
Bulling is another term for spit-shining a shoe/boot.
Even though the heel counter and the toe puff, in the boots you are referring to, would keep those areas of the boot rigid enough to hold a spit-shine, I doubt the leather on those boots would allow for it.
A nice glossy brush shine should look just fine however.
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 20 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 49 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 3 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 4 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 8 minutes ago
- › Fountain Pen and Pen Collectors Thread. Who else likes nice pens? 12 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 12 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 15 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories