Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sole Welting Last post on 9/20/14 at 6:40pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 11:40 am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 1:18 pm in Classic Menswear
- Price drop: Carmina Burgundy Adelaides 11.5UK Last post on 8/6/14 at 2:04am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II Last post on Today at 1:15 pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)
Last edited: 12/11/12
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 315
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4712 of 107274/26/13 at 3:35pmpost #4713 of 107274/26/13 at 4:12pmpost #4714 of 107274/26/13 at 4:14pmQuote:
using stiff-bristled brush on cordovan to raise a shine is fairly masochist..post #4715 of 107274/26/13 at 4:19pmpost #4716 of 107274/26/13 at 6:25pmQuote:
Can you post a close up picture?
I've had this happen before. It was when I first started, and I thought the shoe polish color was supposed to rid of scuffs on the first coat. I ended up putting too much polish, which is likely what you have done. By now the polish should really have dried up quite significantly, and you may just take a brush to it. The brush takes off much of the product with any use, and may do you good in this situation. If it IS still gummy I wouldn't necessarily go this route, and in that case I'd wait for another member to chime in. It would be quite curious that the product would stay moist for this long however.
In the future, if you aren't going for high shine like you say, then truly you only need a very conservative amount of polish. Taking it to the limits of patience you can watch Crat's spit polish video, as you will get a good understanding of the very sparse amount of polish and it's great effect.post #4717 of 107274/27/13 at 12:39amI'm currently polishing a pair with some new wax and was very frustrated as the shine wasn't coming along as I wanted it to.
Turns out I needed less spit/water as this new wax is fresh unlike the dried up "bits of charcoal" I'm using in the video.
You live and learn : )
It really isn't an exact science...post #4718 of 107274/27/13 at 1:32ampost #4719 of 107274/27/13 at 1:38am
Very nice! Would you consider making a short "how to" guide for doing something like this. I would very much like to try it but I'm a bit hesitant since I have not done anything similar before. Do you use something like dubbin grease after stripping the shoes to replenish the leather before you apply the dye?post #4720 of 107274/27/13 at 2:07amQuote:Someone asked me the same question yesterday, here's my answer.Originally Posted by dlind
Very nice! Would you consider making a short "how to" guide for doing something like this. I would very much like to try it but I'm a bit hesitant since I have not done anything similar before. Do you use something like dubbin grease after stripping the shoes to replenish the leather before you apply the dye?
Applying grease before dying would defy the purpose of stripping the leather with acetone because the greased leather wouldn't absorb the dye properly. I use renovator after dying to nourish the leather.post #4721 of 107274/27/13 at 11:13ampost #4722 of 107274/27/13 at 12:58pmI have two pairs of shoes that I've worn for 2+ years with built up layers of wax from spit shining them and recently purchased Renomat to strip the layers away and start afresh. However, rubbing some Renomat in a circular motion hasn't had much of an effect, should I just rub in some more until the glossy layers just go away? I am a bit afraid of overdoing itpost #4723 of 107274/27/13 at 1:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Crat
Someone asked me the same question yesterday, here's my answer.
Applying grease before dying would defy the purpose of stripping the leather with acetone because the greased leather wouldn't absorb the dye properly. I use renovator after dying to nourish the leather.
Great thanks! Do you not feel that the shoe needs more nourishment then the renovator can provide after stripping it?post #4724 of 107274/27/13 at 5:32pm
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
Styleforum Top Picks
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures 1 minute ago
- › 2014-2015 OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD (+ Brazil 2014) - Football, Soccer,... 2 minutes ago
- › EXC Ralph Lauren Purple Label RLPL 100% Cashmere Glen Plaid Suit - 44R 2 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Five sportcoats for sale 38 & 40. Oxxford, Dunhill, Brooks Golden... 3 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...