Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 1/9/17 at 6:36pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on Today at 1:48 pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 1:08 pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Today at 9:59 am in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 3:43 pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 315post #4712 of 192334/26/13 at 3:35pmpost #4713 of 192334/26/13 at 4:12pmpost #4714 of 192334/26/13 at 4:14pmQuote:
using stiff-bristled brush on cordovan to raise a shine is fairly masochist..post #4715 of 192334/26/13 at 4:19pmpost #4716 of 192334/26/13 at 6:25pmQuote:
Can you post a close up picture?
I've had this happen before. It was when I first started, and I thought the shoe polish color was supposed to rid of scuffs on the first coat. I ended up putting too much polish, which is likely what you have done. By now the polish should really have dried up quite significantly, and you may just take a brush to it. The brush takes off much of the product with any use, and may do you good in this situation. If it IS still gummy I wouldn't necessarily go this route, and in that case I'd wait for another member to chime in. It would be quite curious that the product would stay moist for this long however.
In the future, if you aren't going for high shine like you say, then truly you only need a very conservative amount of polish. Taking it to the limits of patience you can watch Crat's spit polish video, as you will get a good understanding of the very sparse amount of polish and it's great effect.post #4717 of 192334/27/13 at 12:39amI'm currently polishing a pair with some new wax and was very frustrated as the shine wasn't coming along as I wanted it to.
Turns out I needed less spit/water as this new wax is fresh unlike the dried up "bits of charcoal" I'm using in the video.
You live and learn : )
It really isn't an exact science...post #4718 of 192334/27/13 at 1:32ampost #4719 of 192334/27/13 at 1:38am
Very nice! Would you consider making a short "how to" guide for doing something like this. I would very much like to try it but I'm a bit hesitant since I have not done anything similar before. Do you use something like dubbin grease after stripping the shoes to replenish the leather before you apply the dye?post #4720 of 192334/27/13 at 2:07amQuote:Someone asked me the same question yesterday, here's my answer.Originally Posted by dlind
Very nice! Would you consider making a short "how to" guide for doing something like this. I would very much like to try it but I'm a bit hesitant since I have not done anything similar before. Do you use something like dubbin grease after stripping the shoes to replenish the leather before you apply the dye?
Applying grease before dying would defy the purpose of stripping the leather with acetone because the greased leather wouldn't absorb the dye properly. I use renovator after dying to nourish the leather.post #4721 of 192334/27/13 at 11:13ampost #4722 of 192334/27/13 at 12:58pmI have two pairs of shoes that I've worn for 2+ years with built up layers of wax from spit shining them and recently purchased Renomat to strip the layers away and start afresh. However, rubbing some Renomat in a circular motion hasn't had much of an effect, should I just rub in some more until the glossy layers just go away? I am a bit afraid of overdoing itpost #4723 of 192334/27/13 at 1:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Crat
Someone asked me the same question yesterday, here's my answer.
Applying grease before dying would defy the purpose of stripping the leather with acetone because the greased leather wouldn't absorb the dye properly. I use renovator after dying to nourish the leather.
Great thanks! Do you not feel that the shoe needs more nourishment then the renovator can provide after stripping it?post #4724 of 192334/27/13 at 5:32pmpost #4725 of 192334/27/13 at 9:14pm
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Naked and famous denim 28 seconds ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 3 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 5 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 7 minutes ago
- › Mariano Rubinacci plum silk neat 11 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 12 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 13 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 13 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...