or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 286

post #4276 of 10217

Gentlemen,

 

I need some help with cleaning my shoes.  There is definitely a build up of wax that I am trying to remove using Lexol cleaner.  The cleaner certainly takes a lot of elbow grease to work and below is how far i've gotten on one shoe.  Notice the wax wearing away around the broging.  It took me maybe 30 minutes just to remove that.  Should it be taking that long?  Would Renomat work faster?

 

Any help would be mostly appreciated. 

 

post #4277 of 10217
Renomat would remove it in a minute.
post #4278 of 10217
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfn View Post

Renomat would remove it in a minute.

Ok then!  Going to give it a try!

post #4279 of 10217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Philly View Post

Gentlemen,

I need some help with cleaning my shoes.  There is definitely a build up of wax that I am trying to remove using Lexol cleaner.  The cleaner certainly takes a lot of elbow grease to work and below is how far i've gotten on one shoe.  Notice the wax wearing away around the broging.  It took me maybe 30 minutes just to remove that.  Should it be taking that long?  Would Renomat work faster?

Any help would be mostly appreciated.  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


There is actually a difference between cleaning a shoe and stripping a shoe. It sounds like you want to strip your shoes, and RenoMat would be the best product for that.

The difference between stripping a shoe and cleaning a shoe is the amount of wax that is removed. Since most shoes (unless they are brand new) have a build up of wax, a leather cleaner is only going to remove a few surface layers of wax. This is effective for cleaning because that is where most of the dirt is trapped anyway. Scrubbing harder with a cleaner will remove more wax, but you also run the risk of damaging the leather surface with being too aggressive with your scrubbing.

Although RenoMat states that it is a "cleaner-stain remover" on the bottle, it is actually a wax stripper. RenoMat will easily dissolve the wax for removal with a cloth, but it will also remove some of the oils from the leather, so you will want to condition your shoes (with leather conditioner) after you use it.
post #4280 of 10217
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjay View Post


There is actually a difference between cleaning a shoe and stripping a shoe. It sounds like you want to strip your shoes, and RenoMat would be the best product for that.

The difference between stripping a shoe and cleaning a shoe is the amount of wax that is removed. Since most shoes (unless they are brand new) have a build up of wax, a leather cleaner is only going to remove a few surface layers of wax. This is effective for cleaning because that is where most of the dirt is trapped anyway. Scrubbing harder with a cleaner will remove more wax, but you also run the risk of damaging the leather surface with being too aggressive with your scrubbing.

Although RenoMat states that it is a "cleaner-stain remover" on the bottle, it is actually a wax stripper. RenoMat will easily dissolve the wax for removal with a cloth, but it will also remove some of the oils from the leather, so you will want to condition your shoes (with leather conditioner) after you use it.

This is the information that I needed to hear.  Thank you.

 

I have Renovateur and Saphir Pate De'Lux, so they will be conditioned after they are stripped.  I will probably let them sit with Reno on them for a day before I brush it off.  I bought these shoes used and they had a build up even before I got them.

post #4281 of 10217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post

I made the video a while ago and posted it here at the time. Decided to start a blog later on later and put it on there as well.
I'm glad you're finding it useful. smile.gif

And yes, leather really is a lovely material and can take quite a beating. The chemicals and salt in snow are terrible though.

Crat really great job as always! salt is reaping of the leather(2 shoes destroyed till i take the lesson to wash my shoes asap)!!

post #4282 of 10217

After a small mishap that had to be corrected, I decided to make my first attempt at some light antiquing. I think it turned out well enough and covered up the small blemish.

 

 

post #4283 of 10217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle View Post

After a small mishap that had to be corrected, I decided to make my first attempt at some light antiquing. I think it turned out well enough and covered up the small blemish.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Looks good.

 

How exactly did you go about it?

post #4284 of 10217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Looks good.

 

How exactly did you go about it?

 

Thank you.

 

I had to strip the wax off the toe cap to deal with the stain. After that, I basically just worked around the shoe forcing some darker cream into the areas that would wear more with age. Using that as a base layer, I applied the proper color of cream, and buffed it off. Finally, I used some slightly darker wax polish to give a little shine to the toe and heel, as well as some of the antiqued areas.

post #4285 of 10217

Anyone have experience with Allen Edmonds cleaner/conditioner?  Not expecting it to be as good as Saphir, but it's also only 5 bucks for 4 ounces. Any thoughts?

post #4286 of 10217
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

I think the accent makes Crat more adept. He certainly *sounds* more adept/expert smile.gif

Glad you think that of the Dutch-English accent since most people think we sound like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5DZexDYyuU smile.gif
post #4287 of 10217
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post

Anyone have experience with Allen Edmonds cleaner/conditioner?  Not expecting it to be as good as Saphir, but it's also only 5 bucks for 4 ounces. Any thoughts?

Its the only stuff I can get where I live and Ive never had a problem with it, works great
post #4288 of 10217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle View Post

After a small mishap that had to be corrected, I decided to make my first attempt at some light antiquing. I think it turned out well enough and covered up the small blemish.




Those are orange laces? Look so good
post #4289 of 10217
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlensboy View Post

Those are orange laces? Look so good

Thank you. They're actually red, and I cleaned up some of the slight swirl marks I saw after posting that image.
post #4290 of 10217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoesShoesShoes View Post

Thank you for your suggestions!

 

I think that most if not all of the black mark had gone, and I don't think it is at all a factor in the mark that is left - what's left is unfortunately much worse, covering a larger area. I suspect you are right that I applied too much and too vigorously. I probably didn't let it try fully before applying the cream.

 

I will give your suggestions a try and report back!

 

Thanks again

Just a quick report back on my grenson boots. They are looking a lot better after a gentle application of renomat, followed by sponging with warm water. I think that now they have dried out it is possible to see that they might benefit from another gentle warm sponging - there is still some wax embedded in the leather.

 

I was wondering about the next step - it was suggested that I use Saphir Renovator - presumably this contains no waxes? Just a little nervous having got the leather back to something resembling it's original colour!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**