Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 5/19/16 at 7:25pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 6:26 pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Today at 8:06 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 4:04 pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 283post #4231 of 183523/12/13 at 12:45pmpost #4232 of 183523/12/13 at 1:16pmpost #4233 of 183523/12/13 at 1:17pmpost #4234 of 183523/12/13 at 3:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by cdmcallister
I think I've decided these bargain PA's are going to be a testing canvas for me (an anyone else who wants to chime in with suggestions) to see what's possible. Let's start trying to get a faux G&G similar to what you did with the Italian Polish and if I like it, I'l l keep it for a while. If not, strip them down and start anew.
I always liked how AE burnished the toe on the Kenilworth. It's my mirror shine but AE's treatment from the factory makes the toe darken like that.post #4235 of 183523/12/13 at 4:47pmpost #4236 of 183523/12/13 at 5:29pmQuote:
patrick_b thanks for reposting those pics.
I know there are several in this thread that I've really admired but I do agree with you that the burnishing on those is damn sexy. I will try to emulate that look with maybe some darker areas around the uppers and heels of the PA's. After reading some of Rider's old posts on the antiquing thread, I may try to find some older more beat up shoes at the thrift store this weekend to practice on. I've got a day or two as the PA's are soaking up some more conditioner cleaner right now.
EDIT > oh, and... that mirror is freaking spectacular!!!post #4237 of 183523/13/13 at 5:04amI have a pair of marigela side zips that I bought from yoox about 6 months ago. I really love the boots, and they're still in excellent condition. However, when I bought them, I didn't pay much attention to the fact that the sole is brown. I'd much prefer it if the sole was black, to match the upper. If I'm wearing all dark colours/all black, it seems strange to have a brown sole poking out.
I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to re-colour the sole black. I'm not so bothered about the underside of the shoe, just the more visible bits - the edging and the heel. I believe the material is a kind of very hard rubber... I'm not sure exactly what it is, but they're not leather!
I've attached a photo, but if more photos would be useful, I can take more.post #4238 of 183523/13/13 at 5:17ampost #4239 of 183523/13/13 at 5:50amQuote:
Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm not sure which would be better, would you recommend either option over the other?
What would be the right approach if using polish? Do I need a certain type of polish, certain brushes? What about edge dressing?
Anybody done this before (changing brown sole to black)?post #4240 of 183523/13/13 at 5:51ampost #4241 of 183523/13/13 at 6:01amQuote:Originally Posted by cbfn
Thanks for the link. Looks like it could be a pretty daunting process, especially because I don't think the material used for the sole would lend itself particularly well to being sanded down.
Perhaps I will drop into my local cobbler, and see if they're able to do it. Or investigate edge dressing more thoroughly!post #4242 of 183523/13/13 at 6:06ampost #4243 of 183523/13/13 at 6:08amI guess I could try it (if I can find somewhere that sells it in the UK.)
The site you linked me to says "In contrast, rubber that is uniformly colored throughout will not be improved nearly as much by edge dressing." which makes me wonder if it'll actually work. I really don't want to ruin my shoes!
Edit: I think the line I quoted may simply mean that because rubber soles don't take as much noticeable discolouration, there's less for the edge dressing to 'fix'. Which I guess doesn't apply if I'm actually trying to change the colour.post #4244 of 183523/13/13 at 7:08amQuote:Edit: I think the line I quoted may simply mean that because rubber soles don't take as much noticeable discolouration, there's less for the edge dressing to 'fix'. Which I guess doesn't apply if I'm actually trying to change the colour.
Without knowing exactly what the sole/edges are made of it's hard to identify how pourous they may be and how well they would accept dying, polish, etc.
Without the experience, I would take them to a local cobbler and have them advise. Much cheaper than shipping to one of us...post #4245 of 183523/13/13 at 7:14am
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Migrants, Immigrants, Refugees, and Aliens in Euro-Zone 7 seconds ago
- › Epaulet Taylor Trousers size 33 forest green worn once 2 minutes ago
- › THE EUROPEAN THRIFT BUY /SELL / TRADE / WANT THREAD 5 minutes ago
- › Epaulet Taylor Trousers size 33 khaki worn once 6 minutes ago
- › The soft retail market and other possible indicators of an economic... 6 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 9 minutes ago
- › Epaulet Taylor Trousers size 33 BNWT grey hopsack 16 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 21 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 22 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 31 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding