Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 7:16 pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 3/17/15 at 5:34am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 5/23/15 at 7:11am in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More Last post on Today at 5:24 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 2:57 pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)
Last edited: 12/11/12
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 283post #4231 of 151803/12/13 at 12:45pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4232 of 151803/12/13 at 1:16pmpost #4233 of 151803/12/13 at 1:17pmpost #4234 of 151803/12/13 at 3:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by cdmcallister
I think I've decided these bargain PA's are going to be a testing canvas for me (an anyone else who wants to chime in with suggestions) to see what's possible. Let's start trying to get a faux G&G similar to what you did with the Italian Polish and if I like it, I'l l keep it for a while. If not, strip them down and start anew.
I always liked how AE burnished the toe on the Kenilworth. It's my mirror shine but AE's treatment from the factory makes the toe darken like that.post #4235 of 151803/12/13 at 4:47pmpost #4236 of 151803/12/13 at 5:29pmQuote:
patrick_b thanks for reposting those pics.
I know there are several in this thread that I've really admired but I do agree with you that the burnishing on those is damn sexy. I will try to emulate that look with maybe some darker areas around the uppers and heels of the PA's. After reading some of Rider's old posts on the antiquing thread, I may try to find some older more beat up shoes at the thrift store this weekend to practice on. I've got a day or two as the PA's are soaking up some more conditioner cleaner right now.
EDIT > oh, and... that mirror is freaking spectacular!!!post #4237 of 151803/13/13 at 5:04amI have a pair of marigela side zips that I bought from yoox about 6 months ago. I really love the boots, and they're still in excellent condition. However, when I bought them, I didn't pay much attention to the fact that the sole is brown. I'd much prefer it if the sole was black, to match the upper. If I'm wearing all dark colours/all black, it seems strange to have a brown sole poking out.
I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to re-colour the sole black. I'm not so bothered about the underside of the shoe, just the more visible bits - the edging and the heel. I believe the material is a kind of very hard rubber... I'm not sure exactly what it is, but they're not leather!
I've attached a photo, but if more photos would be useful, I can take more.post #4238 of 151803/13/13 at 5:17ampost #4239 of 151803/13/13 at 5:50amQuote:
Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm not sure which would be better, would you recommend either option over the other?
What would be the right approach if using polish? Do I need a certain type of polish, certain brushes? What about edge dressing?
Anybody done this before (changing brown sole to black)?post #4240 of 151803/13/13 at 5:51ampost #4241 of 151803/13/13 at 6:01amQuote:Originally Posted by cbfn
Thanks for the link. Looks like it could be a pretty daunting process, especially because I don't think the material used for the sole would lend itself particularly well to being sanded down.
Perhaps I will drop into my local cobbler, and see if they're able to do it. Or investigate edge dressing more thoroughly!post #4242 of 151803/13/13 at 6:06ampost #4243 of 151803/13/13 at 6:08amI guess I could try it (if I can find somewhere that sells it in the UK.)
The site you linked me to says "In contrast, rubber that is uniformly colored throughout will not be improved nearly as much by edge dressing." which makes me wonder if it'll actually work. I really don't want to ruin my shoes!
Edit: I think the line I quoted may simply mean that because rubber soles don't take as much noticeable discolouration, there's less for the edge dressing to 'fix'. Which I guess doesn't apply if I'm actually trying to change the colour.post #4244 of 151803/13/13 at 7:08amQuote:Edit: I think the line I quoted may simply mean that because rubber soles don't take as much noticeable discolouration, there's less for the edge dressing to 'fix'. Which I guess doesn't apply if I'm actually trying to change the colour.
Without knowing exactly what the sole/edges are made of it's hard to identify how pourous they may be and how well they would accept dying, polish, etc.
Without the experience, I would take them to a local cobbler and have them advise. Much cheaper than shipping to one of us...
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 16 seconds ago
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 17 seconds ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 25 seconds ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The "Actively Discovering 'New' Brands" Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 3 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS15 6 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 8 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan