Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sole Welting Last post on Today at 6:59 am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 9/13/14 at 9:53pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 4:09 pm in Classic Menswear
- Price drop: Carmina Burgundy Adelaides 11.5UK Last post on 8/6/14 at 2:04am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II Last post on Today at 7:59 pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)
Last edited: 12/11/12
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 283post #4231 of 106973/12/13 at 12:45pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4232 of 106973/12/13 at 1:16pmQuote:Interesting! Slightly cheaper than Afpos too!Originally Posted by alexSF
If anyone is interested Pediwear now stock Saphir MdO http://www.pediwear.co.uk/saphir-shoe-care/medaille-dor-1925/post #4233 of 106973/12/13 at 1:17pmpost #4234 of 106973/12/13 at 3:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by cdmcallister
I think I've decided these bargain PA's are going to be a testing canvas for me (an anyone else who wants to chime in with suggestions) to see what's possible. Let's start trying to get a faux G&G similar to what you did with the Italian Polish and if I like it, I'l l keep it for a while. If not, strip them down and start anew.
I always liked how AE burnished the toe on the Kenilworth. It's my mirror shine but AE's treatment from the factory makes the toe darken like that.post #4235 of 106973/12/13 at 4:47pmpost #4236 of 106973/12/13 at 5:29pmQuote:
patrick_b thanks for reposting those pics.
I know there are several in this thread that I've really admired but I do agree with you that the burnishing on those is damn sexy. I will try to emulate that look with maybe some darker areas around the uppers and heels of the PA's. After reading some of Rider's old posts on the antiquing thread, I may try to find some older more beat up shoes at the thrift store this weekend to practice on. I've got a day or two as the PA's are soaking up some more conditioner cleaner right now.
EDIT > oh, and... that mirror is freaking spectacular!!!post #4237 of 106973/13/13 at 5:04amI have a pair of marigela side zips that I bought from yoox about 6 months ago. I really love the boots, and they're still in excellent condition. However, when I bought them, I didn't pay much attention to the fact that the sole is brown. I'd much prefer it if the sole was black, to match the upper. If I'm wearing all dark colours/all black, it seems strange to have a brown sole poking out.
I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to re-colour the sole black. I'm not so bothered about the underside of the shoe, just the more visible bits - the edging and the heel. I believe the material is a kind of very hard rubber... I'm not sure exactly what it is, but they're not leather!
I've attached a photo, but if more photos would be useful, I can take more.post #4238 of 106973/13/13 at 5:17ampost #4239 of 106973/13/13 at 5:50amQuote:
Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm not sure which would be better, would you recommend either option over the other?
What would be the right approach if using polish? Do I need a certain type of polish, certain brushes? What about edge dressing?
Anybody done this before (changing brown sole to black)?post #4240 of 106973/13/13 at 5:51ampost #4241 of 106973/13/13 at 6:01amQuote:Originally Posted by cbfn
Thanks for the link. Looks like it could be a pretty daunting process, especially because I don't think the material used for the sole would lend itself particularly well to being sanded down.
Perhaps I will drop into my local cobbler, and see if they're able to do it. Or investigate edge dressing more thoroughly!post #4242 of 106973/13/13 at 6:06ampost #4243 of 106973/13/13 at 6:08amI guess I could try it (if I can find somewhere that sells it in the UK.)
The site you linked me to says "In contrast, rubber that is uniformly colored throughout will not be improved nearly as much by edge dressing." which makes me wonder if it'll actually work. I really don't want to ruin my shoes!
Edit: I think the line I quoted may simply mean that because rubber soles don't take as much noticeable discolouration, there's less for the edge dressing to 'fix'. Which I guess doesn't apply if I'm actually trying to change the colour.post #4244 of 106973/13/13 at 7:08amQuote:Edit: I think the line I quoted may simply mean that because rubber soles don't take as much noticeable discolouration, there's less for the edge dressing to 'fix'. Which I guess doesn't apply if I'm actually trying to change the colour.
Without knowing exactly what the sole/edges are made of it's hard to identify how pourous they may be and how well they would accept dying, polish, etc.
Without the experience, I would take them to a local cobbler and have them advise. Much cheaper than shipping to one of us...
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 17 seconds ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 55 seconds ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 2 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 10 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 13 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style 13 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 19 minutes ago
- › Question about suit style and color! 20 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)