Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 6:20 pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 5:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Today at 7:02 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 1:52 am in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- Aren't technically almost all shoe leathers corrected grain?Last edited: 2/1/16
- I just got two pairs of Horween chromexcel boots (Boston Boot Co.)....Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 277post #4141 of 177003/1/13 at 3:34pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4142 of 177003/1/13 at 5:55pmpost #4143 of 177003/2/13 at 11:01amAnybody have some suggestions for these (but in black)? I've had them a few months and they're among the most comfortable things I've ever worn, but I've been neglecting their care. The leather is very soft and was never shiny, so really just requires some cleaning/protection.
http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4208754post #4144 of 177003/2/13 at 6:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Touching Cloth
Anybody have some suggestions for these (but in black)? I've had them a few months and they're among the most comfortable things I've ever worn, but I've been neglecting their care. The leather is very soft and was never shiny, so really just requires some cleaning/protection.
I want to avoid pitching my polish directly in this thread, but on a specific question like this I would have to say that I think my black cream polish would work great for these shoes in black.post #4145 of 177003/2/13 at 7:01pmHey quick question...I only have a horsehair applicator brush and not the full/longer shine brush.
I'm pissed cause thought I had one and was about to start polishing some black shoes. Can I use the smaller applicator brush for buffing the whole shoe? I don't plan to use it for applying polish since am using cloth instead.post #4146 of 177003/2/13 at 10:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by Beach Bum
Hey quick question...I only have a horsehair applicator brush and not the full/longer shine brush.
I'm pissed cause thought I had one and was about to start polishing some black shoes. Can I use the smaller applicator brush for buffing the whole shoe? I don't plan to use it for applying polish since am using cloth instead.
Not really. You won't be able to get the proper leverage or stroke production with the applicator brush.post #4147 of 177003/2/13 at 10:53pmpost #4148 of 177003/3/13 at 12:21ampost #4149 of 177003/3/13 at 1:54ampost #4150 of 177003/3/13 at 2:15amQuote:Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson
I think I've taken the shining as far as I want now. Thanks again to all who provided advice! May I present my efforts: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Great job Gerry. Now you have to practice your cussing for when you scuff the toe against something.post #4151 of 177003/3/13 at 2:31ampost #4152 of 177003/3/13 at 3:05amQuote:
Thanks all - at least if it gets scuffed, I know how to get it back. Once you achieve the shine, you must let it go - this is the Way Of The Shine a.k.a. Shine-do.
Next, I want to work on getting a graduated shine the way Crat has described.post #4153 of 177003/3/13 at 3:10ampost #4154 of 177003/3/13 at 8:19ampost #4155 of 177003/3/13 at 2:36pmHere is a link to my blog that shows what makes up my shoe shine kit. Missing are the stacks of jars of cream polish.
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...
Currently, there are 927 Active Users (136 Members and 791 Guests)
- › Australian Members 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 9 minutes ago
- › A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions. 9 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 11 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 19 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 23 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 23 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 25 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 28 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...